Community Message Boards

Thread: Whole Foods Cakes

Whole Foods Cakes

Anyone here ever try one of Whole Foods cakes? If so, are they any good? I am considering ordering one for DS's birthday but I usually don't like grocery store type cakes.

I dislike cakes from regular grocery stores for the obvious reasons (don't taste good, look scary, and a cake shouldn't require 9 paragraphs of ingredients).
    The WF cakes I've had have been dry and flavorless, though, so a "no-go" for different reasons. But I've had only 3-4 so maybe they're better now. Or better regionally. Can you get samples?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I haven't purchased a cake from WF, but I was there last weekend and sampled some of the Strawberry Cream Cake. OHMYGOD. It was delicious! i wanted to buy a 10" cake to take home and eat myself... but I thought better of it

I definitely recommend asking for samples
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I dislike cakes from regular grocery stores for the obvious reasons (don't taste good, look scary, and a cake shouldn't require 9 paragraphs of ingredients).
    DH & I hate grocery store cakes. They actually taste bad to us and I don't consider us to be total gourmet's when it comes to sweets. We do in fact, enjoy an occasional Oreo etc. When I worked, it was always surprising to me how many people in the office LOVED the grocery store birthday cakes they would bring in for peoples birthdays. I always did my best to take a bite or two of the cake on my birthday since everyone was watching me but otherwise skipped the whole thing. For me, the frosting is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    DH & I hate grocery store cakes. They actually taste bad to us and I don't consider us to be total gourmet's when it comes to sweets. We do in fact, enjoy an occasional Oreo etc. When I worked, it was always surprising to me how many people in the office LOVED the grocery store birthday cakes they would bring in for peoples birthdays. I always did my best to take a bite or two of the cake on my birthday since everyone was watching me but otherwise skipped the whole thing. For me, the frosting is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i couldnt agree more.. ugh. i hate the gross shortening frosting and dry cake. we have had 3 chocolate cakes with white icing from the grocery store over the past 2 weeks for birthdays at work. i just don't get it.
    - Josie

That's why I told them not to bother buying a cake for my birthday, I'm making one to bring in!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

For me, the frosting is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I shouldn't admit this, but I like the insanely sweet stuff you get on those grocery cakes. Not that it happens very often--my office doesn't do birthdays, and for family stuff I make a cake. I've never gotten one made by Whole Foods, but I've bought a few zillion calories worth of Dancing Deer baked goods there.

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    I haven't purchased a cake from WF, but I was there last weekend and sampled some of the Strawberry Cream Cake. OHMYGOD. It was delicious! i wanted to buy a 10" cake to take home and eat myself... but I thought better of it

I definitely recommend asking for samples
    I was going to pipe in and say the same (we were there together). And I also really dislike grocery store cake. This was more like a yummy strawberry layered wedding cake.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I was going to pipe in and say the same (we were there together). And I also really dislike grocery store cake. This was more like a yummy strawberry layered wedding cake.
    I wanted to post again because I didn't address this - this does sound really yummy! Does WF give samples of cake? Or would I need to buy a slice?

I wanted to post again because I didn't address this - this does sound really yummy! Does WF give samples of cake? Or would I need to buy a slice?
    they were giving out samples, but it does seem like WF is really good about giving out samples on request as well. i don't have one near me, so i am not as knowledgeable about WF.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

At the Whole Foods near me, they have many of their cakes available by the slice in the refrigerated area of the prepared foods section. I've bought several different cakes from Whole Foods in the last couple of years and they were always excellent. I can't say they're better than home made, certainly, but much better than traditional grocery store cakes.

You know, I feel like I should retract my comments (well, about WF cakes, not supermarkets' ).

I do remember the white/strawberry cake being a disappointment, as well as carrot and one of the chocolate layer cakes. I only bought single slices, and this was some time ago. But really, the only carrot cake I like is my own. And more import, thinking on a few posts I've made about cakes...maybe I'm just not a "cake" person? Sounds sick and crazy, but it might be so......
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I bought some of Whole Foods chocolate cupcakes for my own birthday (too lazy to bake a cake for myself I guess) and I loved them. I check the ingredients and was happy they didn't use trans fats but I was disappointed to see they had high-fructose corn syrup. I think most of their chocolate bakery stuff used it unfortunately. This was about a year ago so maybe that has changed.

Anyway the flavor was great!

Absolutely delicious

I got a large cake for my brother's 40th birthday party and it was awesome. It was just layers and layers of chocolate. I definitely would recommend WF.

Karen

I bought a slice of WF's chocolate cake today. The actual cake part wasn't bad at all. It actually had flavor and tasted like chocolate cake. The frosting wasn't to my liking at all but I am not a frosting lover anyway. The whole thing was a bit on the dry side but it was a pre-sliced piece so that probably isn't too surprising. All in all, I probably wouldn't eat this again.

I really wanted to try the strawberry cream cake but they didn't have any sliced or whole cakes.

i think wf's bakery differs based on location. i know the wf here sells several local bakery branded products.

too bad about the pre-sliced cake. i am not a huge frosting fan either, but whatever was on the strawberry cake was soooo good
    - Josie

We get whole foods cakes all the time for office bdays. And typically they're yummy. I'm usually disgusted with how sweet and fake grocery store cakes are.. but I think everything at whole foods is really good.