Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I use a "non-specific grind" coffee in a percolator?

Can I use a "non-specific grind" coffee in a percolator?

I'm considering a percolator coffee maker. We use Cafe Altura Organic coffee, and it doesn't specify drip, percolator, or any type grind on the can. Does anyone have a percolator? Will we end up with grounds in our cups if we use a coffee that doesn't specifically specify that it's for a percolator?

TIA!!

We have a percolator that we use for camping. We also have some paper filters that fit in the percolator basket. That way you can use any grind and not worry about grounds in the coffee. These filters fit in the basket and actually fold over the top of the pile of grounds. Makes for quick and easy dumping of the grounds when you are done using them.

If you can't find the filters at the store where you got the percolator, check camping supply stores in your area.

HTH

Why not go straight to the source?

cindy@cafealtura.com

Bob

I have a percolater coffee machine that I use every morning. I use any kind of coffee. For example I used Maxwell House this morning. I use regular coffee filters and just push it down so the "stem" makes a whole in it. The only time I get grounds in my coffee is if I'm messy and they go down the "stem". Good luck.

Just curious, why are you considering a percolator?

Good question, Gumbeaux. We like the idea of heating the water in stainless steel rather than continuing to use the plastic basket in our regular coffee maker. Besides, they look elegant

Thanks for all of your tips, everyone. They'll definitely help. Percolators are going on sale at JCPenney, so I'll be checking them out. I'm glad we started considering them around Mother's day!

Typically, percolators make the worst tasting coffee because the pump inside reuses coffee that has already been brewed to run through the grounds again and again. That is why the Mr. Coffee style drip coffee makers became so widespread. I grew up drinking coffee brewed in a Poly Perk electric percolator and switched over to Mr. Coffee style coffee makers about 35 years ago.

Since most percolators made today are not electric, they are very popular with campers as Hampster has mentioned. You can set these on about any high- heat source to make coffee.

I have been looking at percolators myself at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops because I want one for camping. The taste isn't that bad anyway and reminds me of my younger coffee drinking years.

Last edited by Gumbeaux; 04-29-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Actually, a properly perked pot of coffee is quite good. But you have to keep an eye on it and not let it boil hard, etc. Drip makers are popular because they are easy and don't require baby sitting.
    It seems electric percolators are making something of a comeback. I see in today's JC Penney's ad, 2 electric (one programmable!) models for sale. It may just be the boomer nostalgia movement driving sales, but whatever the reason they do seem to be making a bit of a comeback lately.

Percolators

I have a drip coffeemaker, but I also have two vintage (1960s) electric percolators that I love. The drip coffeemaker is usually relegated to the back of the top of the refrigerator, while at least one percolator enjoys space on the counter top. They are so much better-looking, and make coffee just fine (for me, anyway).

OT, but did any of you ever use/see a "manual" drip coffee maker? My parents - heavy coffee drinkers - swore that their coffee pot made the best coffee (using A&P Bokar ). It was a stovetop pot; they boiled coffee in the teakettle, and poured it through the coffee in the top section of the pot, where it filtered through to a bottom section.

Maybe I'm just clueless and everyone had these, but I never saw another one.

My mother, NOT a light packer, travelled with her electric percolator in the days before hotel rooms started having coffee makers.

[QUOTE=Meganator;1616127]OT, but did any of you ever use/see a "manual" drip coffee maker? My parents - heavy coffee drinkers - swore that their coffee pot made the best coffee (using A&P Bokar ). It was a stovetop pot; they boiled coffee in the teakettle, and poured it through the coffee in the top section of the pot, where it filtered through to a bottom section.

Maybe I'm just clueless and everyone had these, but I never saw another one.

Do you mean they boiled water in the teakettle and poured it into the top section of the pot? If so, that is like the Melitta drip pot that I used for many years. When we bought a camper 6 years ago I pulled it out of my cupboard and now I use it whenever we go camping. We have a gas stove so it's easy to boil water and have a great pot of coffee.

Carole

DH and I have tried multiple coffee makers/brewers over the years (drip, french press, percolator, etc.) We've been using the percolator for the last several years as we feel it makes the best cup of coffee. We tend to buy Starbucks and have no issues with the grind regardless of whether they grind in the store, I grind at Costco or I buy pre-ground in the market.
    Sarah

[QUOTE=Love to Run;1616165]
    Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    Do you mean they boiled water in the teakettle and poured it into the top section of the pot?
    Oops - that is what I meant.

Percolator coffee

I am not a coffee expert and in fact just a dumb ole country boy who lives in the mountains and half the time in the winter we lose our electricity. I was raised on percolator coffee in the sixties and seventies and went from percolator to drip to instant and now I am going back to the taste I really enjoyed the most and that is percolated coffee. Maybe I am digressing in life and going back to my childhood as I now cook with corning ware as my mom did; percolated coffee which we used was Maxwell House. Now I must search for the right coffee.

The best way to make coffee is the way you feel comfortable with and enjoy! Opinions are like bellybuttons we all have one.

Coffee pots Perc

One reason perc coffee pops are gaining in popularity is that more people do not want hot water passing through plastic to make coffee. Many of us won't heat or store food in plastic yet have to make our morning coffee by hot water passing through plastic. Somebody is going to make alot of money by inventing a fairly priced drip coffee maker that has a metal filter system.

Quote Originally Posted by clairesse View Post
    One reason perc coffee pops.....
    You joined today in order to dredge up a 7-year old thread - and then didn't even attempt to answer the OP question?
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."