Community Message Boards

Thread: Looking for "Tar" Shampoo

Hybrid View

Looking for "Tar" Shampoo

My son's pediatrician has recommended we use something called "tar" shampoo for his very dry scalp. She says it's better than head & shoulders and similar and available over the counter. DH looked at the store and didn't see anything that was labeled as tar shampoo.

Has anyone heard of this? Can you give me a brand name?

Kim

Hi Kim, our ped just told us to use this with Brian! He has a really dry flaky scalp. Neutrogena T-Gel is what you're looking for, I found a generic/store brand and it's worked really well. Used it maybe twice a week for about a month and his scalp is much, much better.
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

Denorex is another brand.

Thank you all. Jamie's head can be so bad that it cracks and bleads It used to be he didn't have very much hair and vaseline worked wonders but that was just too goopy and messy now that he actually has some hair. It's not horrible unless we take him too the pool and then the chemicals really seem to be rough on his skin.

Kim

Kim
    I've had issue with eczema on my scalp and used both the Neutrogena T-gel and the generic. Both really helped. I didn't see any difference between the generic and the brand name.
    For me it took a week or so before I really noticed the difference.

Megan

Same advice here - I use Neutrogena T-gel or the same stuff of the store brand and it really helps. My DS might need it a little later too. He has dry skin and I use Eucerin every night, but nothing on the scalp right now. It's good to know that t-gel is safe for toddlers.
    Michelle