Community Message Boards

Thread: Maple Extract?

Maple Extract?

I have been searching lately for Maple Extract. The only kind I can find is 'imitation.' Even Penzey's said they don't carry 'pure' maple extract. Anyone know where I can get some?
    Connie

I can't see if the label on this Watkins extract says "imitation" or not, but Watkins vanilla, pepper, cinnamon, etc. are all incredibly good.

http://www.watkinsonline.com/product...m?product=2940
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I don't know anything about them, but JR Mushrooms and Specialties sells pure maple extract. The same product is also at Amazon.

What are you planning on using it for? Why not use good ol' maple syrup?
    Every day is great when you help someone hear better.

a recipe will often call for maple extract in addition to maple syrup to boost the maple flavor. even if you use pure maple syrup, the maple flavor often gets drowned out by the rest of the ingredients which is why the maple extract is perfect. you can just use a tsp or so of it to impart the flavor you need. even in recipes which don't call for maple syrup. so if you tried to use maple syrup as a sub for the extract, you would have to use SO much to get the flavor right that the recipe proportions would be thrown off with all that liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    a recipe will often call for maple extract in addition to maple syrup to boost the maple flavor. even if you use pure maple syrup, the maple flavor often gets drowned out by the rest of the ingredients which is why the maple extract is perfect. you can just use a tsp or so of it to impart the flavor you need. even in recipes which don't call for maple syrup. so if you tried to use maple syrup as a sub for the extract, you would have to use SO much to get the flavor right that the recipe proportions would be thrown off with all that liquid.
    Exactly! Val, you said it better than I ever could.
    The recipe I have is for maple walnut dinner rolls. I think that even if one could substitute enough syrup for the flavor without throwing off proportions, they would just be way too sweet.

Thanks all, for your input; I'll check out those two sources.
    I'd also be happy for others if anyone else knows of one.
    Connie

You might try King Arthur. They have a lot of extracts.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

JR Mushrooms and Specialties is a good source though a bit pricey. I buy it from Surfas though you might not want 32oz it is a much better price than JR Mushroom's.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I found this place while temporarily living in the Denver area this past winter. It was here I finally found Pomegranate Molasses.

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/extracts/mapleext.html
    Maria

I bought my Frontier Organics maple at Wild Oats and Sunflower Market a couple of years ago....I'm not sure I can still buy it at either store. Here is the site and maple extract:

http://www.frontiercoop.com/dspCmnPr...avor&ct=ssbfbf

Yep, I bought some from King Arthur. They call it maple flavor, not maple extract, so I had a hard time finding it.