Community Message Boards

Thread: How to keep sundried tomatos

How to keep sundried tomatos

Hi ~

i just bought this wonderful LARGE jar of sundried tomatos at Costco. The only thing the jar says is to keep olive oil above the level of the tomatos and if it solidifies to bring to room temperature.

So after I open this jar am I to keep it in the refrigerator? or do you keep it in a dark dry pantry?

TIA
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

I would refridgerate it.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I never refrigerate mine. My Mom makes them at home.

Angela

i buy vacum sealed packages of sundried tomato and put them in a large mason jar with fresh olive oil and rosemary. I fill the jar so tha olive oil is above the tomato and seal with a tight lid...store on my counter in the corner.

they last about 6 months... and let me tell you, the oil tastes amazing!
    Live the life you love, love the life you live.

FWIW~

Sun-Dried Tomatoes Selection and Storage
    From Peggy Trowbridge Filippone,
    Your Guide to Home Cooking.

Learn when to refrigerate sun-dried tomatoes
    Sun-dried tomatoes selection
    Now comes another personal choice: do you want oil-packed or just dried? Many commercial sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil use an inferior oil and may be over-spiced. You can easily remedy this by using dried tomatoes, adding your own good olive oil and preferred herbs and/or spices, seal and refrigerate. Make up new batches as you need them.
    Sun-dried tomato storage

Homemade dried tomatoes should be placed in an airtight bag or container and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for six to nine months for optimum shelf life.

Unopened commercially-dried tomatoes will be fine without refrigeration for six to nine months. Refrigerate or freeze after opening.

When packing your own in oil at home, be sure to keep them refrigerated, especially when adding fresh herbs or garlic to avoid the risk of botulism.
    Once opened, oil-packed dried tomatoes should be refrigerated and used within two weeks.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I keep my large jar in the fridge after opened and have never had any problems with them.

On stuff like this, I write the opened date on the label. Then refrigerate. When you need it, take a good look, sniff, and make your own judgement. I've successfully kept sun dried tomatoes in olive oil for as long as a year without any deterioration.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Once I have opened my jar I keep it in the fridge. But, I've had mine in there for almost a month and they are still good. I'm not sure how long they will keep after being opened.

Oops!..forgot to add that I do keep them in the refrigerator after opening.

And for as long as a year.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by petitechef View Post
    i buy vacum sealed packages of sundried tomato and put them in a large mason jar with fresh olive oil and rosemary. I fill the jar so tha olive oil is above the tomato and seal with a tight lid...store on my counter in the corner.

they last about 6 months... and let me tell you, the oil tastes amazing!
    Do you just put them in oil to get the flavored oil or do you have another reason?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw