Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze guacamole?

Can you freeze guacamole?

Hi All -
    I have 4 beautiful avocados left over from cinco de mayo that I don't want to go to waste. Can I make a batch of guacamole and freeze it? Any other ideas?

You can buy frozen guacamole so I should think so; I'd probably try freezing it in a freezer bag, with all the air squeezed right out of it.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Quote Originally Posted by mintchipper View Post
    Hi All -
    I have 4 beautiful avocados left over from cinco de mayo that I don't want to go to waste. Can I make a batch of guacamole and freeze it? Any other ideas?
    I think the only way you could freeze it is if you have a foodsaver so you can get all of the air out. Me, I'd just eat the avocados! I love them with a bit of lime juice and salt on them.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

although I'm sure you could freeze it, i personally would NOT. guacamole is best when it's fresh, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I think the only way you could freeze it is if you have a foodsaver so you can get all of the air out. Me, I'd just eat the avocados! I love them with a bit of lime juice and salt on them.
    Ditto this--I tried freezing mashed avocado the lazy way when I was feeding DD#1 fresh mashed fruits and it got really gross. Definitely needs to be vacuum packed.

Boy that memory made me feel lazy. Poor DD#2 has pretty much only had store bought baby food except some mashed ripe banana. I am a bad mother! She hasn't even tried avocado yet... *sigh*

ETA I don't like avocado, so I would not know if it would be ok even if vacuum packed.
    Last edited by ljt2r; 05-08-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I would not freeze avocado/guac. I know you can buy guac frozen, but I don't like it. It's one of those "fresh or nothing" foods for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mintchipper View Post
    Hi All -
    DW and I love a simple salad of sliced avocado and sliced tomato. Simply dressed with s/p and maybe some olive oil.