Community Message Boards

Thread: Help..too much salt in deviled egg mixture

Help..too much salt in deviled egg mixture

I am making deviled eggs and used a recipe that I actually lessened the amount of salt but it still tastes too salty. What can I add to correct this?
    I should know better.....

I used dry mustard, mayo, salt, pepper & some hot sauce. The dry mustard is superfine, not sure that has anything to do with it.

I don't know what you would do for too much salt in deviled eggs unless you add more mayonaise. Are you putting in celery or onions - that might take some of the salt out. are you just tasting the filling - maybe when you get the filling in the egg whites it won't taste so salty.

Now if you were making a stew you could put in a potato to take out the salt!

Hard boil a few more eggs and add the yolks to the mix. Can you eat a few more?

I saw a CL recipe that cut the yolk mixture with instant mashed potatoes to reduce the calories--not sure if that would cut down on the saltiness for you, but thought I'd throw it out there with the obvious fix.

I'd try a bit of fresh lemon juice to cut the salt. Mayo has salt so you'd only be adding more, IMHO.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by springsgourmet9 View Post

I used dry mustard, mayo, salt, pepper & some hot sauce. The dry mustard is superfine, not sure that has anything to do with it.
    No, it's the hot sauce.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

thanks all for the suggestions. I did add some cider vinegar and lemon juice and it helped a bit (forgot I received the book "How to Break an Egg" for Christmas. I also added fresh chives on top. I was out of eggs and didn't want to go out to the store for more. Hope they taste ok for the party....

One other thought is to take one or two of the egg whites and chop them up finely and add to the yolk mixture. You'll have less total eggs to fill, but at least they will be edible!