Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about pre-making hamburger patties for party

Question about pre-making hamburger patties for party

We are having my DD's graduation party next weekend. I would like to pre-make hamburger patties and freeze them. My question is: should I thaw them out first or can they be cooked directly from the freezer. I'm thinking they'd be better thawed out. Also, does anyone have any experience with pre-made frozen burgers, such as those from Costco, or Bubba Burgers? My DH suggested using these ( ), but I'm wary without a review from someone who's used them. I know I've had them before at other parties and haven't particularly liked them, but I don't know what brand they were. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Cook your patties from frozen. Ground beef loses a lot of moisture when thawing out.
    Are you asking about the premade frozen patties or a complete frozen hamburger? We have used Costco's frozen patties before and they are fine. Not as good as homemade but very convenient. You also cook those from frozen. I haven't tried any frozen hamburgers before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    Cook your patties from frozen. Ground beef loses a lot of moisture when thawing out.
    Are you asking about the premade frozen patties or a complete frozen hamburger? We have used Costco's frozen patties before and they are fine. Not as good as homemade but very convenient. You also cook those from frozen. I haven't tried any frozen hamburgers before.
    Hammster, will this work if you've made thick burgers? I know the Boca veggie burgers are cooked from frozen, and presumably commercially prepared frozen patties are pretty thin--wouldn't you have to thaw what was intended to be a thick, juicy burger? Also, have you ever grilled the burgers & then frozen them, & gently reheated w/a little moisture & finished heating on the grill? At least that way, you'd know the center was done b4 the edges got overdone, which is what I'd be afraid of with a thick, frozen, nondefrosted burger. Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Hammster, will this work if you've made thick burgers? I know the Boca veggie burgers are cooked from frozen, and presumably commercially prepared frozen patties are pretty thin--wouldn't you have to thaw what was intended to be a thick, juicy burger? Also, have you ever grilled the burgers & then frozen them, & gently reheated w/a little moisture & finished heating on the grill? At least that way, you'd know the center was done b4 the edges got overdone, which is what I'd be afraid of with a thick, frozen, nondefrosted burger. Thanks!
    I guess she didn't indicate in the OP that they are thick patties so I went with thin. The thicker ones can still be done from frozen but would have to be done at a lower heat for sure.

The thicker ones can still be done from frozen but would have to be done at a lower heat for sure.
    I agree and if you thaw they'll more than likely fall apart. Put on a hot grill to start and sear both sides then move to a cooler spot and cook to 160.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I'm talking about pre-made frozen patties (not a whole hamburger with bun). They sell these at Costco, Sam's, grocery store, etc. Are they decent? Any particular brands anyone can recommend? Also, sounds like if I do decide to make my own patties, I should cook them from frozen. I guess I could make the patties the night before and just refrigerate. The graduation is at 10AM and the party is at 2:00 and I won't really have time to be making patties that day. That might be the best option unless I get good recommendations on store bought pre-made frozen patties. Wonder if Trader Joe's has these.

We've used the frozen sirloin burgers from Sam's and they are good. I was thinking you were making your own patties and freezing them, sorry.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    We've used the frozen sirloin burgers from Sam's and they are good. I was thinking you were making your own patties and freezing them, sorry.
    I think she is talking about doing one or the other, sneezles. She wants to pre-make her own unless we come up with a store bought one that's any good. The sirloin patties are pretty good. I don't recall what brands I've bought of the frozen sirloin patties, but they are better than just the frozen regular patties.

We've used the Costco ones for parties with good results. I do slightly thaw before cooking.

We always get Bubba Burgers - they tend to have quite a bit of flavor versus other brands we've tried (for large parties).