Community Message Boards

Thread: Best blender for smoothies???

Question Best blender for smoothies???

I know that there is past threads on blenders but they are old.

So I have to replace my blender and would like one that can crushed frozen fruits for my smoothies. I always had problems making nice smooth smoothies with mine.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I would only use a Vita-Mix. That's what the smoothie shops use. I have had one for 20 years and it still works great. In fact, I'm sitting here guzzling (I was going to say sipping, but that's not accurate!) a smoothie I just made! It can not only make all frozen fruits perfectly smooth, but you can put whole fruits in (including the skin) and it makes them smooth as well. I love my Vita-Mix.

The Vita-Mix seems to be the dream machine.

I find it a bit high in price.

Hopefully it will come at Costco soon and I can look at price.

In the meantime I'll like to look at cheaper models.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I use my Braun immersion blender, and it works great, and is easy to clean up. I will say that I don't use "whole" ice cubes in it, since my fridge has a "crushed" ice option (not really crushed, but more broken up some).

I use my KitchenAid blender as it's easy to take apart and put in the dishwasher. I, too, use the crushed ice from the freezer... whole cubes sometimes don't get all blended (blender issue, I'm sure).

Kate

I use a KitchenAid immersion blender for mine, as well. I used to not make smoothies very often b/c I find blender cleanup to be a pain. The KA immersion blender does great with both whole ice cubes & frozen fruit. I now make smoothies all the time. And DH will make them, too, if he doesn't have to clean a blender. Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen recently rated the KA one the best, particularly for the price.

I do still have a blender/food processor combo, but find that I rarely use the blender part anymore.

Vita Mix sells a reconditioned machine as well as a new. I believe the price for the reconditioned one is under $400.

I love the Vita Mix. I make smoothies every day and next i am going to try to do bread in the dry canister.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I made smoothies every day for years. I found the waring blender, taller more narrow shape worked much better than the kitchen aide style which is shorter and wider. I always had chunks that weren't "blended" in the KA, and I had at least two of them. On the down side, the Waring is really loud but it did a great job and didn't leave a chunk of banana ,for example, floating intact after several minutes of processing. didn't even have to be frozen banana. so I personally think the shape of the container is important & I would go with the Waring shape. unless of course I bought a $400 vita-mix.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown