Community Message Boards

Thread: Help restoring taskbar at bottom of screen when on Internet?

Question Help restoring taskbar at bottom of screen when on Internet?

When I was on the Internet, I used to have a taskbar across the bottom of the screen w/all the things I'd minimized (Word, Excel, whatever). Now it's hidden when I'm on the Net. How do I restore it? When my Internet tabs are minimized, the bar shows up w/all my minimized stuff (Net & others), but as soon as I maximize my Net tabs, the bar disappears. I looked at Start Menu --> Properties --> Taskbar, & the option to Keep the Taskbar on Top of Other Windows is still checked, so I don't know what to do. Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Have you tried to right-click on the taskbar and select "lock the taskbar"?
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    Have you tried to right-click on the taskbar and select "lock the taskbar"?
    I just did this. It was already selected, so I deselected (is that even a word??) it and reselected it--no change. Thank you; any other ideas?

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I think it's still there, it just moved off your screen somehow. Try this: slowly move your mouse to the very bottom of your screen. At some point, it should turn into a double-sided arrow. When it does, right click once and simultaneously move the mouse up. The taskbar should appear...at least, it does when I do that.

You said when you maximize the IE tabs, your task bar disappears. Does it disappear if you were to select another program you are running (Word, Excel, etc.)? Try maximizing Word and see if the Taskbar is still showing.

Have you checked if you are on Full Screen mode in IE? When you are on the Internet, press F11. That will take you in and out of full screen mode.

You mentioned that your Taskbar is selected to stay on top, but is Auto-Hide selected? That might be a problem.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon Crazy View Post
    When you are on the Internet, press F11. That will take you in and out of full screen mode.
    Thank you, thank you! (jumping for joy) It has been such a huge pain not to have my taskbar so that I could toggle; pushing F11 made it reappear!!! Thanks!

(I love this BB--you people know just about *everything.* )

I just learned about f11 yesterday myself. I inadvertently hit f11 and put my internet into full screen mode (only I didn't know that's what it was). I tried hitting all the f keys (I must have missed f11) and nothing happened to fix it.

Somehow I was playing around in the menu bar and found the full screen option and tried it. That's how I learned about f11, but I thought it was funny that you had this issue yesterday too! It had never happened to me before and yes, it was a royal pain the butt.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.