Community Message Boards

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End

Anyone else seen this yet? I am sorry to say my entire family was pretty disappointed. We found the plot confusing and the ending completely dissatisfying. What did you think?
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    Anyone else seen this yet? I am sorry to say my entire family was pretty disappointed. We found the plot confusing and the ending completely dissatisfying. What did you think?
    agree! a waste of my time.

Our family saw it Saturday and thought it was pretty good - not great, but good. I actually thought it was better than The Black Pearl , which I didn't like very much. And I (who am normally VERY easily confused by plot twists) was surprisingly able to follow what was happening. It seemed to me that the movie didn't try to take anything seriously - it was just light fun. I figured out who Calypso was pretty early on too . The ending was not what I expected, but it certainly fit . The movie was definitely too long though...
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

When Johnny Depp is in a movie, who needs a plot?

Angela

We saw it free as part of a special screening through a friend. We got free snacks and the whole bit. Under those circumstances, it was pretty fun to see. The movie itself, I thought, was better than the second one, but not as good as the first. Had it not been a freebie, I probably would have waited for the DVD and even then, it wouldn't have been first on my list. Btw, I think they wasted Keith Richards. Couldn't he have added more?
    TKay

DH and I saw it this morning. He liked it, but I was distinctly underwhelmed. In fairness, though, that might be because I have a nasty head cold and just wanted to stay home, and he insisted on going out, so I wasn't really in the right frame of mind. I kept nodding off during the movie, plus the theater was freezing, and I couldn't stay warm--which was a total distraction. When we left, though, I thought to myself, "Okay, I'm done with the Pirate series."
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I agree with TKay- it was better than the second, but not as good as the first. (Curse of the Black Pearl is one of my all time favorite movies ) This one definitely had more thought put into it than Dead Man's Chest. However, it had so much going on that I might have to see it again (on DVD) to pick up on all of the story lines.

For people who have not seen it yet- make sure you stay past the credits for the Epilogue!
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMom View Post
    For people who have not seen it yet- make sure you stay past the credits for the Epilogue!
    You're kidding! :mad:
    kathyb

DH & I saw it yesterday afternoon - didn't stay through the credits - and wouldn't pay again to see the credits we missed. Neither ONE of us liked it at all. He, who usually has no problem keeping up with confusing issues & storylines, was constantly asking questions. I left feeling like I had just sat through someone's version of a Jerry Garcia-ish LSD trip put to film. UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMom View Post
    Darn! Usually I always insist on staying for the credits in case they show anything after, but after sitting in the theater for nearly three hours, I just wanted to get out of there. Care to share what was shown after??

Highlight for the spoiler of the Epilogue...

The title of the scene is Ten Years Later. We see a boy about ten years old crossing a field toward a cliff. Along comes Elizabeth, who puts her arm around the boy as they watch the sun set. At the sunset, there is a green flash and the Flying Dutchman appears with Will smiling as he approaches his family.

I hated this ending. Why couldn't Barbossa want eternal life as the captain of the Flying Dutchman?!!

DD talked with her friends and was given an additional explanation, although they said (according to info found on the net somewhere) that the scene explaining all of it was deleted.... (Highlight and scroll again!)

Apparently if the lover was still true and waiting for the captain after 10 years, the curse would be broken and they would be reunited. That is why Davy Jones was angry with Calypso, because she WAS NOT there after 10 years. Remember he said something like, "we could have been together forever, but when I returned after 10 years, you weren't there!" Since Elizabeth WAS there, the curse should have been broken and she and Will would be together again.

Did anyone else hear anything like that? Made sense to me, but why they would delete a scene explaining that part did NOT make sense.
    kathyb

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    When Johnny Depp is in a movie, who needs a plot?

Angela
    Amen to that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    DD talked with her friends and was given an additional explanation, although they said (according to info found on the net somewhere) that the scene explaining all of it was deleted.... (Highlight and scroll again!)

Did anyone else hear anything like that? Made sense to me, but why they would delete a scene explaining that part did NOT make sense.

Ahh, I would have liked the ending better if I had known that. Maybe it was explained elsewhere and we just didn't pick it up with all of the other story lines going on?

Thanks! I'm glad I know what happened...definitely a happy ending!

We saw it this past Monday. Oldest son loved it, then again he still says he wants to be a pirate when he grows up. He's 17. Yikes! Youngest son and I liked it okay, still love the original the best. DH hated it, wanted a happy ending. I'll have to mention to him the additional info about the curse being broken after 10 years and see what he thinks then. They probably could have shorten that battle scene a few minutes to fit in the the piece about the curse being broken after 10 years. Wouldn't have lost much there.
    Marie

-- The future is no place to place your better days

Here is a link if you want to see the epilogue without sitting through the whole movie again...

Epilogue

(thanks to DD's web surfing skills! )
    kathyb

Quote Originally Posted by re121258 View Post
    "...They probably could have shorten that battle scene a few minutes to fit in the the piece about the curse being broken after 10 years. Wouldn't have lost much there.
    My understanding of the movie (somewhat limited since there were 17 thousand plots/subplots going on) was not that the curse was broken after 10 years, but that the ship's captain (in this case Will Turner) can return to the living every 10 years to the arms of his "true love" for a 'conjugal' visit--and not that the spell is broken after 10 years. Thus, Will Turner would have to return to the sea afterwards. I picked this up by the conversation between Calypso and Davy Jones when she was in the brig behind bars and Davy made mention of it. So, really not such a happy ending...

Did anyone else pick this up? Or did I imagine it?

Quote Originally Posted by VAcooker View Post
    My understanding of the movie (somewhat limited since there were 17 thousand plots/subplots going on) was not that the curse was broken after 10 years, but that the ship's captain (in this case Will Turner) can return to the living every 10 years to the arms of his "true love" for a 'conjugal' visit--and not that the spell is broken after 10 years. Thus, Will Turner would have to return to the sea afterwards. I picked this up by the conversation between Calypso and Davy Jones when she was in the brig behind bars and Davy made mention of it. So, really not such a happy ending...

Did anyone else pick this up? Or did I imagine it?
    Actually that was originally how I interpreted but someone up above mentioned about it be broken. I thought 1 day every ten years really sucks.
    Marie

I'm so glad I went. I thought it was a ton of fun...that's it...it's total summer blockbuster over the top effects and entertainment. You have to love Johnny Depp and not care so much about plot. I actually didn't think it was all that confusing to follow but do agree that it was total hollywood and the blow ups and effects were just so over the top...but still enjoyable Kind of like a John Woo film but with comedic element I liked it better than the second and not as much as the first. Still think it was worth the view on the big screen. And my interpretation was the one day every ten years...I didn't get that the curse was broken...Orlando was still obligated to fulfill that duty.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

It's not so much that I thought the plot was confusing, just that it didn't really make a lot of sense--if that isn't confusing in itself. It was so convoluted and senseless that it took a lot away from what could be a fun movie.

Overall, a disappointment.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

My DH and I saw it yesterday. We thought it was fun. After the reviews on this thread I wasn't expecting much, but Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is worth the $$ to see the film. I thought it was much better than the 2nd movie. In fact I'm embarassed to say I dozed off in that one.

I didn't think the spell was broken when Will Turner returned after 10 years...and who was the kid? They didn't consummate their marriage that I can remember. And he looked like the same boy that was hung in the beginning. I'm not good at plot twists either so someone please explain it to me.

I believe the implication was they consummated the marriage on the island at the end before Will went back to the Flying Dutchman.
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    I didn't think the spell was broken when Will Turner returned after 10 years...and who was the kid? They didn't consummate their marriage that I can remember. And he looked like the same boy that was hung in the beginning. I'm not good at plot twists either so someone please explain it to me.
    The kid is Elizabeth's and Will's son, I mean it has to be! The marriage was consummated on the Ship by Barbossa and themselves as well, while fighting off the Pirates for the Dutchman.

Okay so I too thought well hey its that boy that got hung in the beginning, well it does show that evil guy(the one who was controlling Davy Jones and the Dutchman, his name escapes me) being present as well, remember he said something about "Its about time, they started singing" but in the end the evil guy died on the ship so it couldn't have been that boy. They flashed to 10 years later when they showed Elizabeth's son.

All in all I truly enjoyed this one, I couldn't stand watching Dead Man's Chest, I do not like to watch Horror movies and even though that one was not gory, it is bothered me with all those killings it had.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.