Community Message Boards

Thread: TJMaxx/Marshalls credit issues

TJMaxx/Marshalls credit issues

Has anyone gotten hit by this? You may remember that earlier this spring they announced that their credit card transaction information had been hacked and stolen.

I got a call from my Visa card issuer recently asking about the activity on my card. There were several charges that were not mine. None were large and they totalled less than $50 from what she told me. I had used the same card at TJ Maxx and at Marshall's shortly before the information was stolen. I'm thinking that was the most likely source of the problem. We scan the computer regularly and have changed passwords, so I think we're covered either way now.

Both of those chains are large enough that I'm wondering how many others got hit and if my situation fits. Maybe I should have cancelled my card when I learned about it, but that seemed kind of extreme at the time.

We got letters from Visa at the time, but fortunately haven't been affected. We've had problems when we lived in PA with somebody getting a hold of an unused visa number of DH's. Fortunately it was cleared up. However, even when the card was cancelled, about a year later, we got a bill with some more recent activity on it. We were baffled, but obviously it was an inside job that allowed the activity to clear, according to the bank.

ETA - We check our visa account online a few times a week.

My DH received a call from his credit card company last month asking if we had recently been in California. There was a charge of $2,000.00 to Best Buy and apparently someone had tried to use the card again, but the credit was declined. That's when they called us. The card was cancelled and the charge refunded to us.

I would suggest that you check your credit report for any "funny business". Go to annualcreditreport.com. It's free. You can get a report from all 3 reporting agencies once a year. I get one every 4 months from a different one.

I received a letter from both TJMaxx and my bank (I used my debit card there, many times. ) It was advised that I get a new debit card with a new number. It was a pain, but I feel more comfortable. I personally would get a new credit card, especially since you know about the problem and if you have a high limit. I wouldn't risk a future problem like this if I can avoid it.
    Chris

Our bank sent us a letter and automatically issued us new cards. We didn't have a choice in the matter. They've done that whenever there has been a security breach somewhere we've used the cards. It's nice to be protected but it can be a pain to contact the places that have automatic drafts using the card. Although, I'm sure the pain is nothing compared to what it would be if our number started getting used by theives.

Was this a regional TJ Maxx problem? I thought it was just credit cards. I always use my debit card at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

Visa and Mastercard are enforcing a new encryption technology soon that will be mandatory for anyone doing business with them. It will be impossible for someone to steal credit card numbers from the computers at companies. When my husband worked for a ticket broker that ran a dot com, there were tape backups made every week that contained several thousand numbers. Someone would take these tapes home for the weekend since the tape backups were done on an off site facility that was managed by another company.

Once Rob told me that if we weren't moral people, we could sell the two tapes for over a million dollars and be out of the country before anyone was wiser. We didn't, but it has been done. With the new technology the encryption is two sided so no one person would have the encryption software needed to see the numbers. Kinda like needing two keys to arm a warhead.

I can't wait for this to happen, because it will make using cards a lot safer for all of us.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Throwing out my 2 cents here since I work at a credit union and we reissued about 1850 cards. WHAT a pain to all involved!

Yes, Visa USA is instituting new security procedures for all merchants, Mastercard too. But, no computer system is completely secure, no matter what precautions are taken. Merchants are not supposed to be warehousing ANY information on ANY cardholders. TJ Maxx/Marshalls were keeping that info and also checking account numbers to boot. It's unfortunate and a PITA to have your account reissued, but trust me, its better to be safe than sorry. It is a real mess having to straighten our any credit reports you could have stemming from fraudulent charges.

My advice: Check your statement frequently, check online if you have access and check your credit report annually or sooner if you can.

PS: I had to have my account reissued....
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Does anyone know if I get a credit report from annualcreditreport.com if they'll sell my info and I'll get spam?

If you shopped at TJ MAxx or Marshalls, my understanding is that they will send you a free credit report that does not count as the one per 12 mos everyone is entitled to get -- so you can still sheck again later nd not pay for it. At least, that's what they told me. Haven't tried a second one within the year, so I don't know for sure it will work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygirl View Post
    Does anyone know if I get a credit report from annualcreditreport.com if they'll sell my info and I'll get spam?
    I've used this several times and have never gotten spam as a result. I pull our credit reports once every 4 months using a different reporting agency each time (there are 3).