Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about getting new carpet and moving furniture

Question about getting new carpet and moving furniture

What do you do with all the furniture in a house when you get new carpet? Does everything have to be stored in the garage or outside?

The carpet installers have always moved the furniture for me. They will move it out of the way, then put it back. The only thing that they might not move (or that you might not want them to move) would be something like a piano or very valuable antiques.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I guess you could rent one of those PODS.

When we redid our hardwoods right as we moved into our house in Michigan, we did put everything in the garage and went on a weekend to Chicago.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by clairea View Post
    The carpet installers have always moved the furniture for me. They will move it out of the way, then put it back. The only thing that they might not move (or that you might not want them to move) would be something like a piano or very valuable antiques.
    What she said. They did ask that I put away all knick-knacks (not that I have any) because they said if I didn't they would just sweep anything into drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by clairea View Post
    I agree - we just had this done a couple weeks ago. They just moved the furniture to the other side of the room (or out of if needed) and then put it back.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

We had our carpet replaced throughout the house last year and the carpet installers moved the furniture to the garage, uncarpeted areas of the house, and the driveway. (there was no chance of rain)

Generally, carpet installers want the whole house cleaned out and won't move furniture back and forth between rooms as they lay carpet.

I moved out all the little stuff and broke down the bed frames.