Community Message Boards

Thread: How long can you keep an epplant in the fridge?

How long can you keep an epplant in the fridge?

Hi,

I was going to make Eggplant Parmesan last week but never got around to it. I started to make it today and when I cut into the egplant, it had a slight brownish tinge where it's normally white.

It smells fine and is fairly firm, although not as firm as when I first purchased it. Do you think it's okay to use? I'd hate to go through the whole process of making the meal and not have it taste good.

Thanks much,
    Shelley
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

I say you can use it. I use any vegetable that doesn't have visible spoilage, generally.

But then again, I like to live dangerously.

And I haven't died yet.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

The older an eggplant is the more bitter it gets. You can salt it and let it sit to drain some of the bitter liquid out if you're concerned of it being old.

Hmmmm, I never thought about the bitter part. After I read that I went and googled a bit and I think I might just broil these for a salad. If they don't taste good after broiling, I won't have lost much effort. The Barley, Roasted Vegetables and Feta Salad from the June issue was very good.

Thanks again for both of your answers.

Charles Dickens

What about using it in Ratatouille?

I picked up a nice looking eggplant Sunday afternoon at the market, and hoping I can still make it for ratatouille - opinions?

Also, does anyone have a great ratatouille recipe?

At my first glance I thought this said how long can I keep an elephant in the fridge, LOL JB

How long 'til you can keep xyz? Until it's unusable.

I've never understood people who toss out produce because x days have passed or because it's not in precisely the same state as it was when they bought it. I just can't be that wasteful, financially or morally. If it's a little past its prime, I find a way to use it where it won't matter. Obviously if it's moldy or slimy it gets tossed, but bad spots get cut out, etc. A bag of greens with some slimy leaves gets culled and the remaining good greens get rinsed and used. Even with bread, if a few slices have mold that doesn't mean I toss the entire loaf. This weekend I had a granny smith apple in the fridge that was a little too long in the tooth for me to enjoy eating raw. So I peeled & sliced it and microwaved with a little butter and cinnamon and sugar. It was delicious.

And don't get me started on throwing out products because the SELL BY date has passed ...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
    At my first glance I thought this said how long can I keep an elephant in the fridge, LOL JB
    Yeah, I laughed when I saw what I had typed. Unfortunately, you can't change your title.

Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    How long 'til you can keep xyz? Until it's unusable.

I've never understood people who toss out produce because x days have passed or because it's not in precisely the same state as it was when they bought it. I just can't be that wasteful, financially or morally. If it's a little past its prime, I find a way to use it where it won't matter. Obviously if it's moldy or slimy it gets tossed, but bad spots get cut out, etc. A bag of greens with some slimy leaves gets culled and the remaining good greens get rinsed and used. Even with bread, if a few slices have mold that doesn't mean I toss the entire loaf. This weekend I had a granny smith apple in the fridge that was a little too long in the tooth for me to enjoy eating raw. So I peeled & sliced it and microwaved with a little butter and cinnamon and sugar. It was delicious.

And don't get me started on throwing out products because the SELL BY date has passed ...
    I agree with you and I try to do the same. However, I asked the question because the color was so off. And when I forged ahead and did roast them, they tasted terrible. So I was glad I asked the question and got that answer from Stacy. Otherwise, I would have been mad that I had gone through the trouble of making the whole dinner for naught.

Charles Dickens