Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with wayyyy too many leftover baked beans?

Question What to do with wayyyy too many leftover baked beans?

I got a little carried away at our July 4th picnic and we have a ton of baked beans left over.

Any ideas what to do to use them up other than have burgers and hot dogs for every meal for the next week ? I skeptical to freeze them, fearing they may turn to mush!

I used the following modified Paula Deen recipe, and every one really liked them.

Southern Baked Beans
    Serves 4

1 large onion, finely diced
    1 teaspoon garlic
    2 (16-ounce) cans baked beans - DRAINED ( I used Bush's vegetarian beans)
    3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    1/8 cup maple syrup
    1/8 cup light brown sugar
    4 tablespoons chili sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

(Original recipe) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a Dutch oven, mix onion, pork and beans, mustard, maple syrup, light brown sugar, ketchup, and lemon juice. Bake, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.

I just threw everything in the crockpot and cooked the beans for a few hours.

I've frozen them before...

I did the same thing for my DH's 40th and froze the leftovers in small batches. We have defrosted them twice and they weren't to mushy. Nothing I would serve to company but perfectly edible for the two of us.

Give it a shot!

Megan

Here's a casserole recipe that uses baked beans. I don't like baked beans, so this isn't one of my favorites, but some of my clients love this casserole.

If you have a kitchen scale, use a pound of your leftover beans, if not, I'd use 2-3 cups of your beans.

I usually use one of my favorite cornbread recipes rather than a boxed cornbread mix. You can make it with ground beef or ground turkey.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cowboy Casserole

Recipe By : Norie Berndt
    Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 strips bacon -- chopped
    1 onion -- chopped
    1 green pepper -- chopped
    1 1/4 pounds ground beef
    1/2 cup catsup
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1 16 ounce can baked beans
    1/2 teaspoon mustard
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 package corn bread mix -- (your favorite)
    1 egg -- to make cornbread mix
    1/3 cup milk -- to make cornbread mix
    1 8x8 pan

Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet, saute the bacon, onion, and bell pepper until the bacon is crisp.

Add ground beef and cook until browned. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except cornbread ingredients) and cook until bubbly. Remove from heat and put into an 8x8 casserole pan that has been sprayed with oil spray.

Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions and top casserole with the batter. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cornbread is done.

*NOTE - let cool completely before packaging and freezing
    To heat - thaw completely and cover with foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until internal temp. reaches 165.

Description:
    "Ground beef, baked beans, the flavors of the old West, topped with a cornbread crust."
    Source:
    "Norie Berndt"
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

I had the same problem--I fixed up containers of beans and sent them home with my guests.

I probably do a pan of beans every other week, often doubling, and freeze at least half in two cup portions. I have never found the texture to change at all. Zero.

Bob

Freeze them & make bean soup when it gets cold!!!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.