Community Message Boards

Thread: Always look tired,skin between brow & eyelids practically hides lids,anything help..

Always look tired,skin between brow & eyelids practically hides lids,anything help..

In early 40s .. I always look tired since my eyes don't look wide awake (even when I'm rested ) because of the area between my eyebrow and eyelid practically overs my eyelids. The area above my eyelids is puffy/fatty. Woo, hoo. Hey at least I save on eyeshadow.

Other than plastic surgery for an eyelid lift ... anything that will help with the definitition and give me a more wide awake look. I think I would get a few looks if I walk around pulling up my forehead.

My mom is in her 70's and doesn't have this problem -- and has great definition in eyebrow/lid area.

Oh, and it always looks this way.

Grrr...

Thanks,

No ideas. I just wanted to say that my Aunt had the surgery and she looks totally amazing. Like a new person.
    I'll be checking this thread for ideas as my mom is starting to have the problem.
    Being a mom sure makes you appreciate yours.

My mom had a surgery years ago that worked wonders. She was getting huge, puffy bags under her eyes irrespective of sleep amounts; she had these bags removed & looked/looks great! If the surgery isn't an option, then I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest--maybe head over to one of those pricey salons like Elizabeth Arden Red Door or something & get a really trained makeup artist to teach you some tricks? Good luck.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I have a similar problem and started using Hi-Brow by Benefit...purchased it at Macy's. It's just a white pencil that you run just under your eyebrow, blend in slightly and I think helps me have a "brighter" look. Plus, it's under $20 and not surgery. It's worth a try. Hopefully, you have a Macy's nearby or some other big department store.

Also, Bare Minerals...."Well-Rested" can minimize bluish areas around the eye.

I took this from the article for you to see, first, because my husbands eye surgeon told him that he can remove the sagging eyelid part, and insurance would pay for it, if it can be proven that it affects your vision. With a lot of people, money is usually a problem.I guess the Doctor would have to determine this.

Nevertheless, some policies will cover upper eyelid surgery if it is deemed essential to improve vision. It is the patient’s responsibility to check with his/her insurance carrier.
    As soon as my divorce is final, I plan to have this done. I mentioned it while we were still married and my husband blew a gasket. HE works and provides everything and HE didn't waste money like that and YOU aren't going to either. (Yet, he was the one asking his doctor about it.) And I do work a 40 hour week...:mad:

I saw on television where it has been called the "48 Hour Face Lift" because recovery time is SO minimal.

Please keep us posted on what you find, as I will be paying close attentionto this thread!

Having said THAT, I found this:
    WHAT IS A BLEPHAROPLASTY?

Blepharoplasty is a very popular procedure among men and women of all ages. Blepharoplasty or “eyelid lift” corrects droopy eyelids that many times make a person appear tired, less alert, and possibly older than he or she really is. Puffy bags under the eyes and heavy upper eyelids are often hereditary and may show up at a very early age; however, they grow worse with time as gravity pulls them downward. If heaviness is very severe, one’s field of vision can be impaired.

Though blepharoplasty can be performed alone, Dr. Miles also may recommend a browlift to raise low, heavy brows to enhance the results. Sometimes, low brows are the main culprit involved with heavy looking upper eyelids, and a browlift may be all that is necessary to correct the eyelid heaviness. A blepharoplasty may also be performed in conjunction with a full facelift or other facial procedures. Since blepharoplasty does not help dark circles, fine lines, and wrinkles around the eyes, a skin treatment, such as a laser resurfacing or chemical peel, may be performed along with the eyelid lift for better aesthetic appearance.

HOW AND WHERE IS THE SURGERY PERFORMED?

Blepharoplasty is a relatively minor procedure, which involves the removal of excess skin, fat, and muscle, one or all factors, depending upon the case. Dr. Miles prefers to use the laser instead of a scalpel to perform the surgery, because he has found that it greatly reduces bleeding and bruising by sealing tiny blood vessels.

In upper eyelid surgery, an incision is made in the natural fold or crease of each eyelid in order to make the scar as invisible as possible. Note: It rarely shows and heals quickly. Through this incision, excess fat and loose skin are removed as needed, and the area is closed with very fine, dissolvable sutures.

In lower eyelid surgery, an incision is made either inside the lid (trans-conjunctival), where only fatty material can be removed, or outside along the lower lash line, when fat, skin, and/or muscle can be removed. Both incisions are very inconspicuous. After the excess fat, skin, and muscle are trimmed away as needed, the incision is closed with fine, dissolvable sutures.

This outpatient surgery takes from one to two hours and is performed under local anesthesia in our fully accredited (AAAHC) surgery facility.

WHAT IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE SURGERY?

A thorough eye exam to determine your eye health, lab work, and in some cases, an EKG is required prior to the surgery. This will be determined following your personal consultation with Dr. Miles.

WHAT CAN ONE EXPECT FOLLOWING THE SURGERY?

Immediately after the surgery, an ice pack is applied to the eye area. The patient is instructed to leave cold packs on the area for approximately 48 hours following surgery to help with swelling and bruising (if any).

Elevating the head when lying down will enhance healing and relieve discomfort. An ointment and eye drops will also be prescribed for a few days to several weeks following surgery, as needed. Mild pain and rest medication also alleviate any discomfort.

Healing usually occurs within five days to one week; however, it is possible to have continued dryness, itchiness, blurriness, or sun sensitivity for several more weeks. It is also recommended that the patient limit strenuous physical activities during the healing period.

DOES INSURANCE PROVIDE ANY HELP?

Not generally, because eyelid surgery is usually considered cosmetic in nature.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Just sympathizing with you... I also have the puffy/fat area under the eye brow, and my eyes never look wide open. It gets worse at night; the skin and the eyelids are really droopy by bedtime.

My Dad had the problem and he had surgery to correct it in his 60s. I'm about ready now (at 44).

Also, Bare Minerals...."Well-Rested" can minimize bluish areas around the eye.

I took this from the article for you to see, first, because my husbands eye surgeon told him that he can remove the sagging eyelid part if it can be proven that it affects your vision. With a lot of people, money is usually a problem.I guess the Doctor would have to determine this.

Nevertheless, some policies will cover upper eyelid surgery if it is deemed essential to improve vision. It is the patient’s responsibility to check with his/her insurance carrier.
    As soon as my divorce is final, I plan to have this done. I mentioned it while we were still married and my husband blew a gasket. HE works and provides everything and HE didn't waste money like that and YOU aren't going to either. (Yet, he was the one asking his doctor about it.) And I do work a 40 hour week...:mad:

Please keep us posted on what you find, as I will be paying close attentionto this thread!

Having said THAT, I found this:
    WHAT IS A BLEPHAROPLASTY?

Blepharoplasty is a very popular procedure among men and women of all ages. Blepharoplasty or “eyelid lift” corrects droopy eyelids that many times make a person appear tired, less alert, and possibly older than he or she really is. Puffy bags under the eyes and heavy upper eyelids are often hereditary and may show up at a very early age; however, they grow worse with time as gravity pulls them downward. If heaviness is very severe, one’s field of vision can be impaired.

Though blepharoplasty can be performed alone, Dr. Miles also may recommend a browlift to raise low, heavy brows to enhance the results. Sometimes, low brows are the main culprit involved with heavy looking upper eyelids, and a browlift may be all that is necessary to correct the eyelid heaviness. A blepharoplasty may also be performed in conjunction with a full facelift or other facial procedures. Since blepharoplasty does not help dark circles, fine lines, and wrinkles around the eyes, a skin treatment, such as a laser resurfacing or chemical peel, may be performed along with the eyelid lift for better aesthetic appearance.

HOW AND WHERE IS THE SURGERY PERFORMED?

Blepharoplasty is a relatively minor procedure, which involves the removal of excess skin, fat, and muscle, one or all factors, depending upon the case. Dr. Miles prefers to use the laser instead of a scalpel to perform the surgery, because he has found that it greatly reduces bleeding and bruising by sealing tiny blood vessels.

In upper eyelid surgery, an incision is made in the natural fold or crease of each eyelid in order to make the scar as invisible as possible. Note: It rarely shows and heals quickly. Through this incision, excess fat and loose skin are removed as needed, and the area is closed with very fine, dissolvable sutures.

In lower eyelid surgery, an incision is made either inside the lid (trans-conjunctival), where only fatty material can be removed, or outside along the lower lash line, when fat, skin, and/or muscle can be removed. Both incisions are very inconspicuous. After the excess fat, skin, and muscle are trimmed away as needed, the incision is closed with fine, dissolvable sutures.

This outpatient surgery takes from one to two hours and is performed under local anesthesia in our fully accredited (AAAHC) surgery facility.

WHAT IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE SURGERY?

A thorough eye exam to determine your eye health, lab work, and in some cases, an EKG is required prior to the surgery. This will be determined following your personal consultation with Dr. Miles.

WHAT CAN ONE EXPECT FOLLOWING THE SURGERY?

Immediately after the surgery, an ice pack is applied to the eye area. The patient is instructed to leave cold packs on the area for approximately 48 hours following surgery to help with swelling and bruising (if any).

Elevating the head when lying down will enhance healing and relieve discomfort. An ointment and eye drops will also be prescribed for a few days to several weeks following surgery, as needed. Mild pain and rest medication also alleviate any discomfort.

Healing usually occurs within five days to one week; however, it is possible to have continued dryness, itchiness, blurriness, or sun sensitivity for several more weeks. It is also recommended that the patient limit strenuous physical activities during the healing period.

DOES INSURANCE PROVIDE ANY HELP?

Not generally, because eyelid surgery is usually considered cosmetic in nature.
    These before/after pictures were also posted on the website.

You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I don't think there is anything except surgery that will help -- several friends of mine have had it done -- great if you can afford about $5000 -- and insurance will not cover unless you have a true condition in which the eye lid is drooping and affecting vision -- and even then only one eye would be covered.

There are probably make up trips that minimize it -- but really in the end you are still going to have drooping eyelids.

FWIW, the AFTER picture is exactly the type of look which most people don't want -- the wide open SURPRISED look. It's the equivalent of the wind blown face lift, trout pout lips or any other plastic surgery travesty.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

My step mother had the surgery done about 2 years ago. It was covered 100% by insurance for vision purposes. She looks great. FWIW, I thought the above "after" photo looked good....

While I do not consider $5,000 dollars a drop in the bucket, I think if you are in your early 40's and have at least another 40 or 50 years to live, $5,000 to correct something like this is well justified.

Quick fix suggestions:

Subtly highlight the area just under your eyebrows with a light yellow or white shadow to give the impression of a more open eye.

Also - and don't laugh - apply a tiny bit of Preparation H (yes the hemorrhoid cream,) to your lid about 20 minutes prior to applying shadow. It will somewhat shrink puffiness.

Wot?

???

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelly View Post
    Quick fix suggestions:

Subtly highlight the area just under your eyebrows with a light yellow or white shadow to give the impression of a more open eye.

Also - and don't laugh - apply a tiny bit of Preparation H (yes the hemorrhoid cream,) to your lid about 20 minutes prior to applying shadow. It will somewhat shrink puffiness.
    I'll help you out Jez! Although it isn't a fun thought it makes sense the Preparation H would help as it's an anti-inflammatory.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I have heard about the Preparation H too, but then I read or heard somewhere that it no longer works. Allegedly, they changed the formula in H and whatever it did before for eyes it no longer does. Can someone confirm or dispel that? I would love for it to be true!!!!

FWIW--my 34 year-old hair stylist had the eye surgery done (genetically drooping lids) and she looks FABULOUS!!!

I think if you are in your early 40's
    Give me a break!

I am in my middle 50's and I am going to have it done....in fact, if it needs it again when I am in my 60's, I am going to have it done....AGAIN!

Early 40's......my heart is hurting.

LOL! I was totally waiting for someone to insert a butt-face joke.

That's a bummer if they changed the formula. Are there other topical anti-inflamatories? Something prescription maybe? OOOH! Bug bite topical cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelly View Post
    That's a bummer if they changed the formula.
    LOL. Pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    LOL. Pun intended?
    LOL! I'd feel a lot wittier if I could claim yes.