Community Message Boards

Thread: Groundhogs heart tomatoes

Unhappy Groundhogs heart tomatoes

So DH and I planted 7 beautiful tomato plants and have lovingly watered them and weeded - our first garden since we moved into our house 3 years ago (actually our first garden ever now that I'm thinking about it).

You see where this is going.

We've managed to pluck 3 tomatoes and have lost probably a dozen already. I searched online but couldn't find anything (although there was a very funny article called "The $64 Tomato") - any ideas???

Because tomatoes come in 6 packs we have 30 plants. They're starting to come on finally. I was complaining that the early girls aren't very early since my romas are coming on as well as my beef steaks. Anyway, my neighbor, who is a retired farmer, teased me about putting up fencing this year. Said the raccoons will get in anyway but I'm figuring *his* garden will be the path of least resistance
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

So do you know it's groundhogs or you suspect?

My Early Girls have never been early either! I don't know why I even buy them anymore!

I have more trouble trying to grow tomatoes, but keep reading about how easy they are. Harumph.

I didn't get beds prepared in time this year, so I planted in containers. I thought they were all going to die, but some seem to be sending up secondary plants that look stronger and healthier! There's hope yet! I did pluck a few of those gross hornworms off one plant though - I hate those things - they hang on so tightly with their little suckers that you sometimes have to tear them in two to get them off. EWWW!

When I do put the beds in - I plan to fence for sure - we have lots of rabbits and deer in the area. I know a lot of them would be able to get in even with the fencing, but if I can make it a little harder for them, perhaps they will go elsewhere.........

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    I I did pluck a few of those gross hornworms off one plant though - I hate those things - they hang on so tightly with their little suckers that you sometimes have to tear them in two to get them off. EWWW!
    So, would a hornworm happen to be several inches long, green, and strangely cool looking and disgusting all at once? 'Cuz that's the kind of thing I pulled off my one tomato plant this weekend. We didn't even plant the tomato. It's our first year in this house and the previous owners must have planted a tomato. When I saw it come up I didn't think it would do anything, but it's growing really well and it has several fruit on it! All our peppers, however, are being eaten by the deer. Who knew the deer liked habaneros?
    ~Moneypenny~

I've lost half my garden to four resident groundhogs. We finally got a trap last night from a neighbor but none of them have taken the bait yet.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    So do you know it's groundhogs or you suspect?
    We saw the sucker. Taunting us I tell you!

it could always be worse - check out what my dog did (who is still bloated):
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=groundhog
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    it could always be worse - check out what my dog did (who is still bloated):
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=groundhog
    Ewwww. I'd thank you for sharing, but ...

Get traps.

We caught two a day in the traps and then just took them far enough away that they can't come back.

Best.thing.ever.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com