Community Message Boards

Thread: Are Omaha Steaks any good?

Are Omaha Steaks any good?

I've been receiveing emails about great savings at Omaha Steaks and just bought some. Our family are big beef eaters! Anyway, the steaks will be delivered by Friday on dry ice. Has anyone ever ordered from this company? Is the beef better than what we buy on the east coast? Thanks, Debralynn

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

Frankly I thought it was pretty so-so. I don't know about east coast beef, but there are some local meat markets here in San Diego that have far better beef than Omaha and these places cost less also.

It depends on what you hope to get out of it. I definitely think it is better than the beef in the grocery store, but not as good as you might get at a local meat/butcher place. Our SIL gets us a package every year for Christmas, and I do like how everything is individually wrapped so it makes it easy if DH wants steak for supper and I want shrimp.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

We used to order all the time, and at first, they were very good! But about 10 years ago, we stopped ordering (we used to order 6 oz filets) because they came through with lots of gristle, and I could do better locally.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Frankly, I don't think the beef is as good as I get in my local grocery store. Packaging is great and makes a nice thank you gift but I wouldn't use it for everyday beef...rather over-priced from what I remember. I'd prefer to order from Niman Ranch if money were no object!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I used to order quite a bit but only when I had the coupons and got free stuff. Haven't ordered for a while now.

Our favorite was the sirloin tips, they made great kabobs!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

There's really nothing special about Omaha. We get better beef from our local butcher. We do like some of their other products, though - I always have some of their popcorn shrimp around. And their frozen cookie dough is pretty good, especially for emergencies.

Sneezles, I got my DH a giant crate of steaks from Niman Ranch as a gift last year. He said their meat is way better than Omaha...but he still didn't oooh and aaah as much as I thought he should have for the price!

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    It depends on what you hope to get out of it. I definitely think it is better than the beef in the grocery store, but not as good as you might get at a local meat/butcher place. Our SIL gets us a package every year for Christmas, and I do like how everything is individually wrapped so it makes it easy if DH wants steak for supper and I want shrimp.
    I can't believe this. If I didn't see your name up there, I would swear I wrote this DH sister sends us a package every Christmas and when DH wants steak for dinner, I get to have my shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    I can't believe this. If I didn't see your name up there, I would swear I wrote this DH sister sends us a package every Christmas and when DH wants steak for dinner, I get to have my shrimp.
    That's spooky funny! DH just eats way more beef than I like too - and he doesn't like fish, so we do a "split" surf and turf!
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    If you had to buy it yourself, would you?
    I don't think the high price and average quality justifies the convenient packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    If you had to buy it yourself, would you?
    I don't think the high price and average quality justifies the convenient packaging.
    Not where we live now - I have access to better beef locally. But 5 years ago, I *hated* the grocery store beef so much and we couldn't afford more expensive beef, so we felt that this was an improvement in the quality and we were willing to pay the price. The convenience is just a nice bonus.
    Sherri

ok, so I should have asked BEFORE I placed the order! Well I'll let you know how my sirloin strip steaks are this weekend. When I ordered them , I also got some free burgers (6), a knife set, cook book and cutting board too! I love free things, just hope the steaks are good.
    As far as east coast beef, it's not as good as western beef. Last August we were driving thru Omaha and had the best beef ever!
    Thanks for the Niman Ranch web site too. Debralynn

Quote Originally Posted by Debralynn View Post
    ok, so I should have asked BEFORE I placed the order! Well I'll let you know how my sirloin strip steaks are this weekend. When I ordered them , I also got some free burgers (6), a knife set, cook book and cutting board too! I love free things, just hope the steaks are good.
    If it's the same knife set and cutting board as I received, they are really pieces of junk. I hope they have improved them.

Terrible stuff. Omaha quality has really gone downhill. I always can do better locall.

Is there a good mail order steak place? We need something like that for gifts. Anyone?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefzhat View Post

Is there a good mail order steak place? We need something like that for gifts. Anyone?
    Niman Ranch. Sneezles linked them further up.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Thanks sweetie - I missed it!

Thanks for the linky Sneezles!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

We've got a great little market here in KC that ships their beef. I always go there when we want a really good steak.

http://www.mcgonigles.com/
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

The knifes and cutting board and cookbook are junk.

We order once a year, I like their hotdogs and burgers.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

The knives and cutting board were worse than junk.

I got the "deal" once because there is a store around me so I didn't have to pay any shipping charges.

The meat was mediocre and one could do significantly better by buying at a butcher or a high grade supermarket (Gelsons, Whole Foods or Bristol Farms in Los Angeles). The per pound cost was more than I would have spent for better local meat.

I wouldn't personally give them as a gift as they are overpriced and mediocre -- why not send something decent.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

OT--However, we get beef locally and it is much better than anything I could buy commercially. See if you can find local farmers/ranchers or local small processing facilities that sell by the cut. I bought a brisket for the holidays from our local processor and it was outstanding, pasture-raised local beef for $2.30 a pound which was way cheaper than anywhere else I could have bought it and for the quality that is a steal.

Also, I know in Philly area they have a co-op of Amish farmers who sell beef, milk, butter, etc. There are many farmers in the co-op and they deliver all over that area (I know that there are people in PA, VA, MD, DC that all belong, so I assume there are drop sites in those areas). I had some of the meat from one of the farmer's over the 4th and it was outstanding. We brought home some of the hotdogs.

The co-op is called C.A.R.E. You have to become a member, but that is relatively inexpensive and easy to do. You can find out info from the local Weston A. Price Chapter at www.westonaprice.org

Lisa

I think they're pretty good. I couldn't say that they're the best I've ever had. Angus beef is the best IMO.

Omaha steaks are probably not the best. Perhaps a peppercrusted topping or your favorite seasonings would help. Also a good steak sauce.

I like the convenience of the packaging. My favorite was the Italian chicken fingers. The beef is pretty good, the hot dogs are very good, but filling! And I loved the sirloin tips- and the flatiron steaks were very good, but expensive. I used to order all the time, again because it was very convenient.

Be warned- once you place an order with them, they will call you every other week with their specials! I used to negotiate with them and get the prices down from what they offered. I'd say "but I got those for less last time" and they'd see what they could do.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Loved the Omaha Steaks!!!!!!!!!

Well we received our Omaha Steaks and had them on the grill. I ordered the sirolin steaks, OMG Wonderful!!!!!!! Cut like butter, melted in your mouth. The flavor was perfect! I also got 6 bonus burgers, they were ok. I am not a burger fan, but everyone in the house liked the burgers.
    The knife set, cutting board and cookbook was a nice bonus. The knives are exactly like the ones that I bought from Pampered Chef. They are very sharp, nice and did I mention FREE??? The small cookbook had some recipes that I will try. Thanks for the other beef websites, I think I would like to try the one from Kansas City. Thanks, Debralynn