Community Message Boards

Thread: Convection oven (s) pros and cons, please

Convection oven (s) pros and cons, please

We're shopping around for double ovens, and debating whether to get convection in both the ovens, or just the top one.

I searched for "convection oven" and nothing came up - to my surprise.

I've never used convection - please chime in and tell me all about your experiences. Choosing convection on the top oven only will save us $300 - but I wonder if I would later wish I had it on both?

Thanks for your advice -
    Laurie

While I have no experience with double ovens, I love my convection oven. We rehabbed the kitchen last fall and got a gas convection oven, Kichen aid Architect series. It puts a wonderful crust on your meats, it also has a probe you can use to determine if a meat is cooked. It's also great for roasted potatoes, vegs, etc. I don't use it much for baked goods, but the roasts, vegs, ribs, etc all have come out fabulous. I'd recommend it for at least one of your ovens.

There was a thread a few months ago about convection baking. Lets' see if I can link this. convection oven woes I don't have double ovens, just a freestanding range. I like the convection feature for most things, but I have more recently noticed that when I have tried baking a couple of cakes with the convection feature, I was not happy with how they turned out. I'm not quite sure why, but they didn't seem to rise as well as cakes normally would. You certainly don't have to use the convection feature all the time, even if the oven is equipped with it, so I might be tempted to say get them both, because that way you always have the option of using it or not. But I have heard that the space in a convection oven is smaller than a non-convection, so that might be a factor too. If you have one slightly larger oven, that might be an advantage if you have a very large pan/item to put in.
    Cheryl-If I was organized, I'd be dangerous.

Keep in mind that the convection has a big fan in the back so it is smaller capacity. My biggest cookie sheet just barely fits. I have one oven ( new) with both convection and regular options I use convection in the same way as Sharon. Glad I got it but wouldn't want it in both if I had double ovens

Good food for thought...

Thanks for the insights - I think maybe I don't need it in both ovens - there aren't that many times that I think I'd be baking THAT many cookies/loaves of bread/roasts.

I wonder why some don't like the convection results and others rave about the feature?
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by breadmama View Post

I wonder why some don't like the convection results and others rave about the feature?
    It takes some time to convert regular recipes. The oven automatically lowers the temp by 25-50 ( can't remember right now which) but it takes some trial and error to find the best time for the dish being cooked. I have had the most trouble with cookies and have just about decided to just cook them by regular oven because a minute or 2 makes a big difference in cookies.

My new Kenmore oven says not to bake cakes in the convection mode. I'm still a little wimpy to try out the convection feature. I do love the middle grill/6 burners on it. I also need to buy new cookie sheets, since my old wall oven was so small I could never fit regular size cookie sheets in there.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.