Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze Mexcan Black Beans & Rice, better to not combine?

Can you freeze Mexcan Black Beans & Rice, better to not combine?

I am planning to make this tomorrow -- sorry I don't recall who posted this way back, but a big thanks. A definite favorite.

Instead of halving the recipe, I was thinking of making the whole thing, and then freezing the rest. My question..... I was thinking of freezing the mixture of black beans, tomatoes, onions, spices (and not the rice) --- so I wouldn't follow the recipe directly. I would take out some of the veggies/beans for freezing and then add the rice to the pan for the part I am having tomorrow.

Do you think the beans/veggies would freeze ok? And, would it be better to freeze it without the rice? I am thinking the rice would get soggy. I would just add some rice to the leftovers.

MEXICAN BLACK BEANS 'N' RICE

Recipe By :Cooking Light Cookbook 1991
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:15
    Categories : Beans Low Fat
    Mexican Rice

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
    1 Cup Onion -- Chopped
    1/2 Cup Green Pepper -- Chopped
    2 Cups Long-grain rice* -- Cooked
    1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper -- Ground
    1/2 Teaspoon Cumin -- Ground
    1 Can Black Beans (15 oz) -- Rinsed/Drained
    3/4 Cup Tomato -- Chopped
    1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet (or black iron skillet) over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and green pepper; saute until tender. Stir in rice and next 3 ingredients; saute 3 minutes. Add beans and chopped tomato, saute 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 125 Cal/1/2 Cup

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : *For 2 cups cooked rice use: 2/3 cups rice and 1 1/8 cup water.

Thanks.

Rice actually freezes really well.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I routinely freeze rice by itself with no problem. If you want the convenience of a frozen entree ready to go, you might freeze the bean mixture and cooked rice separately. If you like the recipe, you might try it both ways (frozen separately and together).

Kay

I have never made this particular recipe, but I freeze black beans and rice all the time, and it works really well. I freeze it indivdual servings (rice and beans together) and it makes a great lunch at work or quick dinner.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.