Community Message Boards

Thread: Uses for stew meat other than beef stew?

Uses for stew meat other than beef stew?

Hello there,

I have some stew meat leftover from camping that I need to use today. It's not quite stew weather for me, although I was glad to return home from camping at 9000 feet to find that it was no longer 95 degrees.

Any ideas? I did a search but the results were huge because it searched for the word meat.

Thank you!

Megan

Goulash? Cook and shred the meat for burrito filling? Stroganoff?

Carnitas? There is a recipe in CL for beef carnitas from last summer that is yummy and then it is used in a few different dishes such as tacos.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

This is absolutely delicious and not hard to make, and can be made with stew beef and/or pork. It's one of those recipes that smecks of comfort food, old world style.
    It was posted by Sparkie 12-03-100@ Mimiís
    Hungarian Paprikash

3/4 lb. boneless pork, cubed
    3/4 lb. bottom round of beef, cubed (or use all of either one or the other)
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 large onion chopped
    2 tbsp. paprika
    3 cups of water (approx.)
    8 oz. sour cream.
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook meat in hot butter until well browned. Add onion and saute until golden. Sprinkle all with paprika and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of water and cook until it has mostly evaporated and sauce has thickened. Continue adding water and letting it evaporate until meat is tender. About 1 hour (or longer). When cooked season to taste. Add sour cream before serving. Heat well but do not boil. P.S. The secret is in letting the liquid evaporate and adding more. The onions will disappear, but the flavour remains.
    This is excellent served with Spatzle (Little Dumplings)

Andyís notes: Brown meat in 2 batches, removing each to a bowl. Caramelize onions then return meat to onions and add paprika, stir, then add water; donít cover the pot; stir frequently. It takes about 2 hours (or more) to work in the 3 cups water and tenderize the meat. Low fat sour cream works well, as does pork shoulder. Serve this with hot buttered agg noodles or buttered spaetzle.
    Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Carnitas? There is a recipe in CL for beef carnitas from last summer that is yummy and then it is used in a few different dishes such as tacos.
    These are great- we've made them often.

You could marinate the meat and use it for kebabs.
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

Thanks!
    Made the Carnitas tonight and put some leftovers in the fridge. The meat alone would have been a little bland but the avocado salsa that went along with it made it infinitely better. Some corn on the cob and dinner was done.

Megan