Community Message Boards

Thread: Bifocal Contacts, anyone?

Bifocal Contacts, anyone?

I've been wearing no-line bifocals for years and I'd love to try contacts. I did try them at my (former) eye doctor's office, but felt rushed and the tech was quite impatient. I really want to try them again, but I just don't know.... I read somewhere that the bi-focal contacts are difficult to get used to.

Have any of you had any experience with these? Any insights or advice? This old dog is ready for a new trick! Thanks!

-Donna
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

I've got 'em! I love 'em. I've had them for about a year now. They're not difficult to get used to but I'm a long time contact lens wearer. If you've never worn contacts or at least not for a long time it might be more challenging for you. I'm nearsighted (you didn't mention whether you are or not) and the caveat is that you lose some distance vision in order for them to give you more reading ability. The fitting for my lenses actually took place over the course of about a month because the doctor gave me samples of 3 different brands to try in the strength he thought was appropriate given the results of my eye exam. He wanted me to give each brand a week's trial. Each brand feels different in the eye and the first one I tried I knew right away was the wrong one for me. It just wasn't comfortable and the combination of power he gave me sacrificed too much distance vision. I was squinting at projected images in meetings at work. After trying all 3 I knew which one was best for me. I think the sooner you start the easier it will be for you to adjust. If you only need a mild reading prescription now it won't be such a shock to have less distance vision than if you start later when you need a strong reading correction. Give it a go, what do you have to lose?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I had no trouble getting used to them and could see fine and read fine. The problem is when I get home from work, I like to take out my contacts around 7-ish and wear my glasses until bedtime. The bifocal contacts did something to the shape of my eyeball, and I had blurry vision with my glasses until I got up the next morning. I stopped using them for that reason. If you can wear contacts the whole time you're awake, they're great. Or if they don't affect your eyeballs the way they did mine, they're great. This was too annoying for me to deal with.
    Margaret

Are you referring to the "toric" contacts, which correct astigmatism, or are bifocal contacts different? I'm recently unable to wear the gas-permeable lenses I've worn for many years (too uncomfortable now), and have been trying various strengths of Acuvue soft lenses with little success so far in duplicating the excellent vision I had with gas-perms. My lens tech said that the toric lenses are directional (with a definite top/bottom/L/R), and they're a huge pain; they rotate into the wrong position frequently & end up being almost unwearable from all the positioning problems. Might want to check into that with your bifocal contacts, if they're not toric. I would imagine that bifocal contacts would be directional also. My opthalmologist appt is Tuesday; will know more then.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Mine were not toric, just bifocal.
    Margaret

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but with my contacts, the contact in one eye corrects for nearsightedness and the other corrects for farsightedness. So it's a bifocal effect with a fairly inexpensive lens. They work pretty well.

I'm farsighted, and can't read anything up close. My distance vision is fine. I;ve been wearing the bi-focal glasses for 15 years and had no trouble adjusting to them.

I really dislike having to wear glasses to read caller ID! And now I need them just to read a recipe.

I really want to try them out. Thanks!

-Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth B View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but with my contacts, the contact in one eye corrects for nearsightedness and the other corrects for farsightedness. So it's a bifocal effect with a fairly inexpensive lens. They work pretty well.
    I believe you're talking about mono-vision which is also an option for correcting the age-related loss of reading ability besides bi-focal (or multi-focal) lenses. Come to think of it I've heard that alot of people have trouble getting used to that which may be what Donna has been hearing about. I was also offered the option of trying mono-vision and opted not to do that.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Thanks, Linda. That's exactly what I had heard. I am finishing a master's degree in May and want to make a big change in my job situation. I'd love to be able to interview with a news look, as well as answer the phone without my glasses, LOL!

-Donna

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    My lens tech said that the toric lenses are directional (with a definite top/bottom/L/R), and they're a huge pain; they rotate into the wrong position frequently & end up being almost unwearable from all the positioning problems.
    I have been wearing toric lenses for my astigmatism since they came out (many years now). They are not a huge pain and don't rotate frequently. They are most definitely not unwearable!

Anyhow, I am wondering if they make toric bifocals? I can't sacrifice the torics since my astigmatism is bad, but I hate having to wear cheater glasses over top of my contacts to be able to read.

Anyone know? This would be a great solution and I would like to try them next time I go to the eye doctor if such a thing exists!

Editing to add, MIL did the one contact in for far, no contact in for distance (she could see just fine without anything for distance) and one contact for close up. That would drive me nuts I think. She said she liked it. So I guess you just have to try and see if it works for you or not (if you even want to go that route).

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I have been wearing toric lenses for my astigmatism since they came out (many years now). They are not a huge pain and don't rotate frequently. They are most definitely not unwearable!
    Ditto this - I've had them for quite some time and they work just fine for me. I use Bausch & Lomb SofLens 66 Toric for what its worth.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    Ditto this - I've had them for quite some time and they work just fine for me. I use Bausch & Lomb SofLens 66 Toric for what its worth.
    I ditto the ditto. I've had them for 20 years (oh, that makes me feel ooooooold) and don't have any problems. Personally I always make sure I put them in the right way round, as I get a bit sea-sick while they're settling into place otherwise. But I may just be super-sensitive, as my optometrist's children also wear them and don't have that problem.

They've got weighted-bottoms to keep them in position (snort! don't we all!).