Community Message Boards

Thread: My new CAR! Bethany...take a peek!

My new CAR! Bethany...take a peek!

I pick it up tomorrow. I know there are other BB Prius owners, or soon to be, out there, so I wanted to sign up here as a "club member"
    I got it with the package #4. It will be nice to have a direct connection for the MP3 and bluetooth (yes, I am one of those Bad, Bad, people who talks on the phone while driving It will be nice to have the bluetooth out of my ear and I'll just talk to the car) The other feature I like is the back-up camera.

But, oh my, those sly, pesky finance guys. Geeze, what they try and talk you into at $$$$$ dollars. Ex: offer for extended warranty went from 1995.00 to 1,000.00 after I said, "Nah, I've purchased it before through the internet at 1/2 your price, so if I want it, I'll do that again." All of a sudden, it was 1/2 price...

This car means a big change for me-until tomorrow I'm driving a loaded (2000)Maxima!

http://www.savedarfur.org/content

Ellyn, how exciting! We've been considering a Prius as well. DH now has a 50-mile each way commute to grad school. I think I brought it up on the other Prius thread, but I'm still considered about how they perform in the winter (extreme cold weather and snow). I will be interested in hearing your opinion after this winter.

Ooooh - I'm jealous! I'd love one, but I'm too afraid to get a little car in The Land of SUVs and Hummers (aka Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by slknight View Post
    Ellyn, how exciting! We've been considering a Prius as well. DH now has a 50-mile each way commute to grad school. I think I brought it up on the other Prius thread, but I'm still considered about how they perform in the winter (extreme cold weather and snow). I will be interested in hearing your opinion after this winter.
    Yes, I'll be sure to report that. If snow is predicted, I usually take our CRV- never liked the way the Maxima handled.
    Where is DH going to school? I recall from the "what does your DH do" thread it's a doctorate, right? She asks, hijacking her own thread

COOL!!!
    Is that the color you're getting too?
    PRETTY!!!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Ellyn - Sweet! Enjoy your new car!

Quote Originally Posted by eas11 View Post
    Yes, I'll be sure to report that. If snow is predicted, I usually take our CRV- never liked the way the Maxima handled.
    Where is DH going to school? I recall from the "what does your DH do" thread it's a doctorate, right? She asks, hijacking her own thread
    Hmm, unfortunately, I need our other car (the Subaru) to take Alex to preschool. It's a short drive, but I am a very crappy snow-driver, so I certainly wouldn't want the Prius. I guess if the snow is really bad, there's a chance that preschool would be canceled, but the university would not. He's going to UNH.

Quote Originally Posted by slknight View Post
    Hmm, unfortunately, I need our other car (the Subaru) to take Alex to preschool. It's a short drive, but I am a very crappy snow-driver, so I certainly wouldn't want the Prius. I guess if the snow is really bad, there's a chance that preschool would be canceled, but the university would not. He's going to UNH.
    I understand. I don't mind the snow driving so much, it's the ice that creeps me out. My hands are so tight on that wheel!

Maybe some current Prius owners can chime in with snow experience? I've heard that some people buy snow tires to improve performance.

My Dad just bought one, too. He lives in northern VT, so he should be having lots of lovely snow and ice experiences this winter.
    Connie

Oooh, it's fabulous!!!! Congratulations!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

My dad has a new Prius. He lives in Iowa. Although, he might be stubborn to admit there's a problem because he loves his car so much
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Yes, Ana,it is that color. I really like it. Never was to keen on the white maxima, but I didn't make that color choice.

Bethany, when do you plan on getting yours?

Ellyn - it will be a while for mine. They are saying 4 months, which puts me into December. There's quite a wait for them, unfortunately. I'll have to extend my current lease by 2 months.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    Ellyn - it will be a while for mine. They are saying 4 months, which puts me into December. There's quite a wait for them, unfortunately. I'll have to extend my current lease by 2 months.
    Yikes. Are you waiting for the 08? This is an 07, which around here are still coming in. The 08's are expected late Oct. We decided on an 07 for the price break and insurance break.
    Speaking of insurance, we got a shocker when we called about this new car, expecting to pay at least several hundred more for it. Turns out the bill will be only 35.00 more per year! We were either really over-insuring our 2000 Maxima or these Prius' insure for alot less.

Quote Originally Posted by eas11 View Post
    Yikes. Are you waiting for the 08? This is an 07, which around here are still coming in. The 08's are expected late Oct. We decided on an 07 for the price break and insurance break.
    Speaking of insurance, we got a shocker when we called about this new car, expecting to pay at least several hundred more for it. Turns out the bill will be only 35.00 more per year! We were either really over-insuring our 2000 Maxima or these Prius' insure for alot less.
    There are no more 07s in the Escape. None to be had at 175 dealerships.

Well, that settles that decision for you then! Sorry you need to wait so long for your new ride

Hmmm, maybe that's why J's is taking so long. He didn't know why.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Hmmm, maybe that's why J's is taking so long. He didn't know why.
    Even the regular ones are flying off the lots around here - not just the Hybrids. The hybrids are just impossible to come by though.

Even the regular ones are flying off the lots around here - not just the Hybrids. The hybrids are just impossible to come by though.
    I don't think his is a hybrid but he can't argue since it's a company car and they pay for it. Oh and they're paying for his rental until it comes.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I don't think his is a hybrid but he can't argue since it's a company car and they pay for it. Oh and they're paying for his rental until it comes.
    When I went to test drive, the hybrid wasn't going to happen. Ford isn't making them for dealer lots, just individual customer orders (like mine). They day I placed my order, 4 Escapes came in. They were all gone off the lot, sold, but 7pm that same day.

When I went to test drive, the hybrid wasn't going to happen. Ford isn't making them for dealer lots, just individual customer orders (like mine). They day I placed my order, 4 Escapes came in. They were all gone off the lot, sold, but 7pm that same day.
    I don't know that he test drove and his is a special order. Oh well, guess I'll figure it out when it shows up. Until then we get to drive around in the gangster style Dodge Magnum.

Eas11 - Cool! Congratulations. I've been eyeballing the Prius for months now. I'm not ready to buy anything new, but when I do, it'll be a hybrid. Enjoy!

That's amazing. Thanks for the info. I'm considering the Escape (not that I've ever been in one), so it's good to know about the wait.
    TKay

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it immensely.

Honda has scrapped the Accord Hybrid to focus on BioDiesel technology. I wonder how that will compare to the hybrids.

I can tell you from 2nd hand experience (Rob told me) that the Prius does very well in an accident with a large SUV. A coworker of Rob's was in a bad accident the other day in his Prius. A woman (girlfriend of a Chicago Bear player) driving a Land Rover plowed into the Prius at 40mph *head on*. The only injury was the front seat passenger put her arm out to brace herself, and the impact gave her a severe spiral fracture.

Rob drove by right after the accident and was amazed that the little Prius did so well in the accident. Later he found out it was his coworker's vehicle.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Congrats Ellyn -- enjoy your new wheels!
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~