Community Message Boards

Thread: Any problem with freezing cooked chicken, that was already frozen raw?

Hybrid View

Any problem with freezing cooked chicken, that was already frozen raw?

I am planning on making CL's Barbecue Pulled Chicken with Marinated Cucumbers tonight. I usally halve the recipe but I just defrosted a pound of chicken and was thinking of making the full recipe and freezing the leftovers.

The raw chicken was frozen and then defrosted, and I would be freezing the finished recipe. Can you refreeze chicken in this case -- does it lose something? I know that you can't refreeze raw chicken.

Or, if I just keep it in the frig and eat leftovers, would it be fine until Friday? I am a two or three day rule type of person...

Thanks!

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. April 2002. Page: 156.
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Chicken:
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup thinly sliced onion
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    Cucumbers:
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
    Remaining ingredient:
    4 hamburger buns (2 ounces, each)

Directions.
    You can also serve this on barbecue bread or Texas toast. The marinated cucumbers are so good you might want to make a double batch.

1. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients. Rub surface of chicken breasts with brown sugar mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.

2. Return chicken to pan; add broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from pan; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in balsamic vinegar.

3. To prepare cucumbers, combine the cider vinegar and next 3 ingredients (cider vinegar through cucumber) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 10 minutes. Remove cucumber from bag; discard marinade.

4. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture onto bottom half of each bun. Top each with 1/4 cup cucumber mixture and top half of bun. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich).

373 calories (15% fat), 6.4g fat, 32.7g protein, 3g fiber, 892mg sodium, 113mg calc
    Source:
    "Cooking Light-4/02"

Should be fine.

I do it all the time.

I agree! I think you can't refreeze, raw, chicken or meat, BUT once it has been cooked, it is "new" again, and you can freeze it safely!

I buy frozen turkey, per se. and after it is cooked I freeze the leftovers!
    Curleytop

absolutely. once it's cooked, shove it in there!