Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Themed Appetizers

Fall Themed Appetizers

Last year I had a "Girlfriend's Fall Holiday Happy Hour" at my house and it was loads of fun. I had a tough time selecting appetizers that I felt "fit the theme." The girlfriends are requesting that I do it again, and I -of course- do not wish to use the same recipes.

I did a search for fall appetizers and came up with nothing. Any recipe suggestions for fall appetizers? Maybe apps that implement ingredients such as apple, pecans, maple, pumpkin, cranberry...??
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

Maybe some sort of maple walnut topped baked brie? The cranberry feta pinwheels would be yummy as well. I'll think some more.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

yes, yes, yes!.. those are the kinds of things I'm looking for Perfect!

I dug up the pinwheels recipe- thanks for the suggestion. Any more ideas out there?

Cranberry Feta Pinwheels Recipe

1 (6 ounce) package sweetened dried cranberries (chopped)
    1 (250 g) container spreadable cream cheese (or regular w/a little milk)
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 large flour tortillas or wheat flour tortillas or spinach tortillas
    Chopped nuts

1. Combine all ingredients except tortillas, mix well.
    2. Divide and spread mixture evenly among tortillas.
    3. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour.
    4. To serve cut into 12 slices.
    Lori

I like to make mini sandwiches with brie, onions caramelized in apple cider, and small slices of Granny Smith apples....they're usually a hit! Those feta pinwheels look great, too.

Here are a couple recipes that I've made before for a fall-themed dinner:

Ugh.. I can't get the picture of the cheese ball to post. You can find it by doing a search though. Look for the thread "ISO: WOW! Appetizer". It is so cute!

Christmas Meatballs (originally posted by Chocolate Rose)

2 eggs
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    SAUCE:
    16 oz. can whole-berry cranberry sauce
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar

In a bowl, combine eggs, soup mix, bread crumbs, cranberries and parsley. Add ground turkey and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine sauce ingredients until heated through. Gently stir in meatballs until heated through. Makes about 3 dozen.

Here's a cheese ball recipe that I posted from Southern Living a few years ago. It's really cute and also tastes good!

Pumpkin Cheese Ball (SL - posted by sfarler)

INGREDIENTS
    2 (8-ounce) blocks extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (8-ounce) container chive-and-onion cream cheese
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 broccoli stalk
    Red and green apple wedges

INSTRUCTIONS
    Combine Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients in a bowl until blended. Cover and chill 4 hours or until mixture is firm enough to be shaped.

Shape mixture into a ball to resemble a pumpkin. Smooth entire outer surface with a frosting spatula or table knife. Make vertical grooves in ball, if desired, using fingertips.

Cut florets from broccoli stalk, and reserve for another use. Cut stalk to resemble a pumpkin stem, and press into top of cheese ball. Serve cheese ball with apple wedges.

Note: To make ahead, wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap without stalk, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Attach stalk before serving.

YIELD: Makes 16 appetizer servings
    PREPARATION TIME: 30 min.
    COOKING TIME: Chill: 4 hrs.

I have been doing a search this week for fall apps and this is what I came up with

Made this before love this one!

Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions, and Fig Jam

This recipe is great with dried figs, sublime with fresh ones. The Gorgonzola is a great combo with the sweet fig jam, but feta or any other soft, pungent cheese will work.

Jam:
    1 cup dried Black Mission figs (about 6 ounces)
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    2 cups water
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    Dash of salt

Onions:
    Cooking spray
    2 cups vertically sliced yellow onion
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup water (optional)

Remaining ingredients:
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) Gorgonzola cheese, softened
    24 (1-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted (about 12 ounces)
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

To prepare jam, remove stems from figs. Place figs and juice in a food processor; process until figs are coarsely chopped. Place fig mixture, 2 cups water, syrup, and dash of salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until thick. Cool completely.
    To prepare onions, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. While onion cooks, add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup at a time, to keep onion from sticking to pan.

Spread 1 teaspoon cheese over each baguette slice. Top each slice with about 1 teaspoon onion mixture and 1 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle evenly with thyme leaves.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2 crostini)

Endive with Caramelized Pears and Blue Cheese

The classic combination of pears, blue cheese, and walnuts yields a nice appetizer that comes together quickly. The filling mixture is best if made just before serving.

Cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups chopped peeled Bosc pear (about 3 medium)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    24 small Belgian endive leaves (about 3 heads)
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pear and sugar to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Cool.
    Place pear mixture, blue cheese, walnuts, and salt in a bowl; stir gently to combine. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons pear mixture into each endive leaf. Arrange leaves on a platter; sprinkle evenly with parsley.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2 filled endive leaves)

CALORIES 83 (34% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1.4g,mono 0.7g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 3.6g; CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 109mg; SODIUM 152mg; FIBER 5.3g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.1g

Fig-and-Gruyère Pastries

Fig preserves and Swiss-made Gruyère cheese pair well in this classic French pastry sometimes called a palmier (palm-YAY). They are first cousins to the elephant ears sold at carnivals. A light and slightly sweet Riesling or Gewürztraminer is your best bet with these.

1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
    1/2 cup fig preserves, melted

Roll 1 puff pastry sheet into a 14- x 10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 cup Gruyère cheese. Roll both narrow ends of puff pastry sheet in to meet in center of rectangle.
    Repeat procedure with remaining puff pastry sheet and Gruyère cheese. Cut each roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; brush with melted preserves. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

Note: You can make these pastries ahead and freeze the uncut, unbaked rolls. Wrap rolls in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. To serve, let rolls stand at room temperature 10 minutes before slicing. Brush with preserves, and bake as directed.

Yield: Makes 56 appetizers

Butternut Squash Spread with Pepitas

This spread is great with Garlic Pita Chips. Add a few tablespoons of water when pureeing the squash mixture to achieve a creamy consistency, if necessary.

1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Dash of crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
    2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted

Place butternut squash in a medium saucepan; cover with water 2 inches above squash. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add sage and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper); sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Place squash, onion mixture, and sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon into a medium bowl; sprinkle with pumpkinseed kernels.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

CALORIES 26 (21% from fat); FAT 0.6g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 0.8g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 15mg; SODIUM 74mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.1g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2007

Must. have. figs. And mushrooms! Pears! Bleu cheese!
    Obviously you don't want everything sitting on top of a piece of bread (or maybe you DO ) but here are a few T&T favorites that include those ingredients.

Camembert with Blue Cheese, Figs and Port Sauce

1 8-oz (4.5 inch diameter) firm Camembert cheese with rind
    1 large egg, beaten to blend
    1 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
    1 cup ruby Port
    1 cup dried black Mission figs, halved lengthwise
    1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
    chopped fresh chives
    1 baguette, sliced into rounds and lightly toasted

Brush Camembert on all sides with egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Place on foil-lined plate and cover.

Bring Port to simmer in a heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add figs; simmer until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer figs to a small bowl. Add sugar to Port in pan; boil until reduced to a thick syrup, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Pour syrup over figs. (Cheese and figs can be prepared 3 hours ahead: Refrigerate cheese, let figs stand at room temp.)

Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add Camembert and cook until breadcrumb coating is brown and cheese is warm, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and top with the blue cheese, figs and syrup. Sprinkle with chives and surround with toasts.

Wild Mushroom and Blue Cheese Crostini

2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
    1 Tablespoon parsley, minced
    1 teaspoon thyme, minced
    1 teaspoon mint, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 lemon
    1 cup coarsely grated Fontina cheese
    1⁄2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (we used stilton)
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 baguette, sliced thinly at an angle into about 24 slices
    Whole parsley leaves for garnish

Preheat oven to 450F.

Place the baguette slices on a sheet pan and toast until just beginning to brown. Leave oven on. Brush each side of the toast lightly with the garlic.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Ad the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and the liquid has evaporated, 7-10 minutes. Add the parsley, thyme, and mint. Season well with salt and pepper, and lemon if needed. Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Toss together.

Distribute the mushrooms and cheese on top of the toast. Place the toasts on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until the cheese melts , about 1 minute.

Serve immediately, garnished with parsley leaves.
    Adapted from “Weir Cooking: Recipes from the Wine Country" by Joanne Weir

Crostini of Figs, Ricotta, and Prosciutto

[Would also be good made with camboloza cheese]

4 ripe figs, cut in half
    4 slices country bread
    1/4 pound soft, mild ricotta or crescenza
    4 slices prosciutto
    a handful of arugula leaves

Heat a grill pan. Place the figs cut side down on the grill pan (I sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on them to encourage caramelizing) and grill a for a few minutes, or until the cut side caramelizes.

Meanwhile grill or toast the bread in the oven. Then spread each slice with cheese, place two fig halves on top, lay a slice of prosciutto over the figs, scatter a few arugula leaves on top, and serve.
    Recipe by Reed Hearon

Pear and Gorgonzola Crostini with Balsamic Port Glaze

1 loaf walnut bread, sliced into ¼” thick slices and then cut into bite-size squares
    2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for brushing the bread
    1 pear, peeled, cored, cut into quarters and then sliced into ½-inch slices
    Coarse salt and pepper
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    ½ cup port wine
    4 thin slices prociutto
    2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese

Preheat oven to 400F

Place the bread on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and bake until lightly golden brown.

Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pears and sauté for 1 minute, until they just begin to soften. Season the pears with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a small saucepan or skillet on medium-high heat, reduce the vinegar and port to ¼ of its original volume. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. It will thicken as it cools.

Breaking up the prosciutto, place a piece on each of the walnut toasts. Top with a small piece of cheese, some pear and a drizzle of the vinegar-port reduction over the top.
    Adapted from Joey Altman’s “Tasting Napa”

Crescenza with Sautéed Mushrooms and Hazelnuts

½ pound crescenza cheese, cut into small squares or wedges
    1 baguette, sliced and toasted until golden and crisp
    2 Tbsp butter
    8 ounces wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced or broken into medium pieces
    ¼ cup dry white wine
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbsp. toasted hazelnuts
    1 Tbsp. snipped chives

Place a wedge of cheese on each of the bread slices and set on a platter.

Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat until brown. Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil up until the wine is reduced to a glaze over the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over each slice of bread with cheese. Scatter some of the hazelnuts and chives over the mushrooms and serve immediately.
    Adapted from “The New Cooks’ Tour of Sonoma” by Michele Anna Jordan
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I didn't realize how much I must love fall appetizers until I realized how many of these I have tried! This one is very festive - and the crackers freeze beautifully so I like to make a large batch so I have them available through Thanksgiving.

Blue Cheese Shortbread Leaves With Cream Cheese-Chutney Roulade
    You can start making these savory cookies up to three days ahead. Even easier: Serve the cheese roll with store-bought crackers. (We especially liked this roulade made with a spiced cranberry-apple chutney, but any thick chutney will work.)

Shortbread
    31/2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 1/2 cup)
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped

Roulade
    1 8-ounce package chilled cream cheese
    2/3 cup purchased spiced cranberry-apple chutney
    1/2 cup very thinly sliced green onions

For shortbread:
    Blend blue cheese and butter in processor until creamy. Add flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add walnuts and process just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out dough between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove top sheet. Using 2 1/2x1-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutter, cut out leaves. Transfer leaves to prepared baking sheets. Gather dough scraps and reroll; cut out additional leaves. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer leaves to rack and cool. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

For roulade:
    Using rolling pin, flatten cream cheese between sheets of plastic wrap; roll into 10x8-inch rectangle. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Spread 1/3 cup chutney atop cream cheese rectangle, leaving 1-inch plain border. Sprinkle chutney with 2 tablespoons green onions. Using plastic as aid and starting at 1 long side, roll up cream cheese, jelly-roll style, into log. Gently press remaining green onions onto roulade. Wrap roulade tightly with plastic. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

Place roulade on platter. Surround with shortbread leaves. Top roulade with remaining 1/3 cup chutney and serve.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    November 2002

Are you looking for finger foods, or do you have any interest in some acorn squash soup?

Yes, definitely finger foods as it's a cocktail party.

Thanks!
    Lori

Pumpkin Dip

3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    2 teaspoons maple syrup
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    24 apple slices

Place the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add syrup and cinnamon, and beat until smooth. Cover dip and chill 30 minutes. Serve with apples.
    Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2 tablespoons dip and 2 apple slices)

* This dip is also good with Honey Graham Sticks.
    Go for it!

Somewhere deep in my tried-and-true pile I have a recipe for divine Tomato Chutney, happy to dig it out if you're interested. Actually plan on making it next week, stocking up on tomatoes at Farmer's Market this weekend.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I just read a recipe (but didn't save it -- argh!) that this thread reminded me of.... gist was goat cheese, dried cranberries, spices and I believe there must have been some cream cheese in there, too. I will go through the magazines I still have and see if I can find it again. I'll post if I do!

-Kate

I'm just thinking.... the recipe I mention may have been in the latest version of CL! (what a moron I am).

I want to second the pumpkin cheese ball. I have made it numerous times and always get tons of compliments on it. Here's a past thread that has a picture.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=cheese
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I think I've posted this on the BB before...it is really awesome and makes a LOT.

Butternut Squash Spread on Cheese Croutons

Baked butternut squash and Asiago cheese blend with herbs and toasted pecans for a fabulous-tasting spread.

Ingredients
    1 medium butternut squash
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 cups freshly grated Asiago cheese, divided
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    1 baguette, cut into 48 thin slices
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    Garnishes: small sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary

Preparation
    Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 13" x 9" baking dish. Add hot water to dish to depth of 1". Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until squash is tender.
    Remove squash pulp, discarding shells. Mash pulp, and place in a large bowl.

Sauté garlic in butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat until golden. Add garlic to squash pulp in bowl. Add cream cheese, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, and next 3 ingredients to bowl; mash until blended. Stir in pecans.

Place baguette slices on 2 large ungreased baking sheets; brush or drizzle olive oil over baguette slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Sprinkle baguette slices with remaining 1 cup Asiago cheese. Bake 2 more minutes or until cheese melts.

Spoon 1 tablespoon squash mixture onto each cheese crouton. Place on a serving tray, and garnish, if desired.

Yield
    4 dozen

Oxmoor House, JANUARY 2000 Christmas with Southern Living 2000
    - Kiran

Here's a stupidly simple idea (great for a centerpiece!) that I loved when I first saw it a few years ago. It's from http://www.ilovecheese.com/recipe.as...=Autumn+Wreath
    Check out the pic on the website - talk about a fall appy! This is one that looks like autumn. Looks best made with coloured leaves, of course - gotta try finding a cheese flavoured with port and coloured red! Some whey cheese for brown leaves (though most people don't like it and I can't remember the name - have to ask my dw).

Autumn Wreath by Chef Gale Gand

Plan to use at least three pounds of block-shaped cheese. Use a cheese slicer to make even slices (1/8" -- 1/4" thick). Using a few seasoned cheeses, like Jalapeño Jack, will give the appearance of changing leaves. To make leaves of various sizes, use cheese-leaf cutters (available in cookware and hardware stores). In the center of a round cheese board, place a bowl of cranberry relish (available in most grocery stores). Place leaves in a ring around the bowl. Repeat layering with remaining leaves. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until serving time. Use leftover cheese leaves for snacks, casseroles, pizzas and salads.
    Cheers! Andy

You could serve a smooth butternut squash soup in shot glasses, topped by itty bitty buttery croutons--very cute. Other ideas: Proscuitto-wrapped pear slices, spiced nuts, use "Terra" chips for dips--these come in fabulous fall colors (orange, purple, gold, and red). I believe Missindi posted an appetizer once with a crisped piece of pancetta topped by goat cheese and a slice of pear. I can hunt it up for you if you're interested.

The party sounds like a great idea...I may have to host one myself!
    Abby

Life is good...wag your tail

Anything apple.....apple crisp, apple pie, apple and brie, apple dumplings! Hard apple cider, or plain old apple cider. The orchard by my house is already picking the macs !!!! Debralynn

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

This is so simple and so good.

Take a round of room temperature brie and remove the top rind layer. Place on a plate. Top with a good amount of Mrs Richardson's Caramel Butterscotch sauce. Serve with gingersnaps. This is so yummy! Make sure there is enough sauce so when people scoop the cheese they get a good taste of sauce with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

The party sounds like a great idea...I may have to host one myself!
    I agree. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I never thought about a fall theme but I like it and it seems like there are some great recipes.

Recipegirl, would you mind sharing your menu from last year?

Thanks.

All girls need a fun party like this! I'm going to have mine on a late Sunday afternoon in October, and my friend who is a Southern Living rep is going to display some of the stuff for sale. This is last year's menu:

Menu:
    Girlfriends Fall Holiday Happy Hour
    A planned happy hour menu for 15-18 guests

APPETIZERS:
    Pumpkin Hummus with Pita
    Roasted Vegetable Tart
    Maple Pecan Apple Stuffed Brie
    Gorgonzola-Pear Ham Wheels
    Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

DESSERTS:
    Pumpkin Cheesecake Crumble Squares
    Harvest Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Tarts

FEATURED BEVERAGE:
    Cranberry Mojitos

Here are all of the recipes.

Here are some pictures.

I would say that the biggest hits of the party were the brie, the tart and the mojitos, but all were good!
    Lori

Thanks for the recipes and links - that stuffed brie sounds perfect!
    Can't wait to see your final menu and reviews for this year; if there are two things I love, they're fall and appetizers!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I made these for a fall function last year. Chocolate Rose posted them in 2004. Several people asked for the recipe...they were really tasty

Apple Cheddar Sausage Balls with Dijon-Balsamic Glaze

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers Sausage

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pkg. Maple Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
    1 egg -- lightly beaten
    1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
    1/2 cup coarsely grated peeled tart baking apple
    4 oz. grated sharp Cheddar cheese -- (1 cup)
    1/2 cup Dijon style mustard
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Combine sausage, egg, bread crumbs, apple and cheese in large mixing bowl; stir well. Shape into 4 dozen 1” balls. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook in batches of 12 or 24, turning frequently until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain if desired, then return to skillet. In a small bowl, combine mustard, tomato sauce, maple syrup and vinegar. Pour over sausage balls. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer to a chafing dish or slow cooker; serve hot with toothpicks.

Note: sausage balls may be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked; thaw in refrigerator before cooking as directed above.

Makes 4 dozen appetizers

----------------------------------------

This dip from Southern Living is also very good. I served it with red and yellow apple slices and spice wafer cookies.

Pumpkin Pie Dip
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Garnishes: ground cinnamon, cinnamon sticks

Beat cream cheese and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add pie filling, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ginger, beating well. Cover and chill 8 hours. Serve with gingersnaps and apple or pear slices. Garnish, if desired.

Yield: 3 cups

Southern Living, NOVEMBER 2001

I don't know if this is "fallish" enough, but it sounded awfully good.
    Crostini with Sun-Dried Tomato Jam Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: Cooking From the Heart

Sun-Dried Tomato Jam:
    1 (8-ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped, oil reserved
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 onion, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Crostini:
    1 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch slices
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    5 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves

For the Sun-dried Tomato Jam:
    Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil, olive oil, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook until the onions are soft and beginning to brown at the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, water, chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue simmering until most of the liquid is reduced and the mixture is the consistency of jam, about 5 to 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
    For the Crostini:
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Place the baguette slices on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the baguette slices with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes.

Place the soft goat cheese in a small bowl. Stir in the thyme.

To assemble:
    Spread the crostini with Sun-Dried Tomato Jam and top with the goat cheese and herb mixture. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.

What a fun looking menu you had last year. That could be hard to top! I am definitely going to give that brie recipe a try. It looks fabulous. Looking forward to seeing your completed menu plans for this year's event.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

[QUOTE=RecipeGirl;1269298]All girls need a fun party like this! I'm going to have mine on a late Sunday afternoon in October, and my friend who is a Southern Living rep is going to display some of the stuff for sale. This is last year's menu:

QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing. Menu looks fantastic! Pumpkin hummus - I must try it! Cranberry Mojitos - they sound yummy! Did you really use freshly squeezed lime juice? I am thinking I need to at least double the recipe and that seems like an awful lot of limes to juice.

[QUOTE=Meg O'C;1269564]
    Quote Originally Posted by RecipeGirl View Post
    All girls need a fun party like this! I'm going to have mine on a late Sunday afternoon in October, and my friend who is a Southern Living rep is going to display some of the stuff for sale. This is last year's menu:

QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing. Menu looks fantastic! Pumpkin hummus - I must try it! Cranberry Mojitos - they sound yummy! Did you really use freshly squeezed lime juice? I am thinking I need to at least double the recipe and that seems like an awful lot of limes to juice.
    Nope, I used Nellie and Joes bottled lime juice. You're right, that would be many limes to squeeze!! The girls raved about the mojitos
    Lori

I found these two easy recipes in my Apple Cookbook. Not tried and true... yet, but they look pretty good (and simple).

Prosciutto Apple Wedges

4 medium apples (Red Delicious, Cortland, Empire, Ida Red)
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
    4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
    ½ lb prosciutto

1. Slice each apple into 8 wedges. Brush each cut surface with lemon juice.
    2. Spread cream cheese thinly on each cut side. Wrap a thin slice of prosciutto around each wedge. Serve immediately or refrigerate, and remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving time.

Yield: 32 wedges
    Cooking Tips
    *Try substituting smoked salmon for the prosciutto.

Apple Cheese Spread

8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, at room temperature
    2 Tbs brandy or sherry
    1 medium Granny Smith apple
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried thyme
    ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine cream cheese, Cheddar, and brandy in a bowl. Beat until smooth.
    2. Peel, core, and grate the apple; add it to the bowl.
    3. Add the basil, oregano, thyme, and pepper; stir until thoroughly combined.
    4. Spoon the mixture into a crock; cover and chill for approximately 1 hour. Serve on toast points or crackers.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups
    Cooking Tips
    *It's ok to use reduced-fat cream cheese, but do use regular sharp cheddar for maximum flavor.

Recipe Source
    Apple Cookbook
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    Here are a couple recipes that I've made before for a fall-themed dinner:

Ugh.. I can't get the picture of the cheese ball to post. You can find it by doing a search though. Look for the thread "ISO: WOW! Appetizer". It is so cute!

Pumpkin Cheese Ball (SL - posted by sfarler)

INGREDIENTS
    2 (8-ounce) blocks extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 (8-ounce) container chive-and-onion cream cheese
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 broccoli stalk
    Red and green apple wedges

INSTRUCTIONS
    Combine Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients in a bowl until blended. Cover and chill 4 hours or until mixture is firm enough to be shaped.

Shape mixture into a ball to resemble a pumpkin. Smooth entire outer surface with a frosting spatula or table knife. Make vertical grooves in ball, if desired, using fingertips.

Cut florets from broccoli stalk, and reserve for another use. Cut stalk to resemble a pumpkin stem, and press into top of cheese ball. Serve cheese ball with apple wedges.

Note: To make ahead, wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap without stalk, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Attach stalk before serving.

YIELD: Makes 16 appetizer servings
    PREPARATION TIME: 30 min.
    COOKING TIME: Chill: 4 hrs.

Here is the picture:

and a link to the thread it was posted on...lots of yummy appetizer ideas on there.