Community Message Boards

Thread: Halloween Costumes - Vent

Halloween Costumes - Vent

I know it is early for Halloween...but for once, I've decided that I'm not going to procrastinate on getting costumes and having to pick from the sparse remaining few.

My kids are 7 and 8. My DD is a tomboy and has zero interest in all things princess like (much to my surprise). Well, after stopping at Target and then at a Halloween only store, we are going to make our own costumes for DD. I could not believe how many of the costumes that are marketed towards girls in the 5-10 age group are so sexed up to look like something Brittany Spears would wear.

The one good thing out of the experience - it has inspired me to make my own costumes for the kids this year (good thing I have plenty of time to get it done - if I don't procrastinate!)

Anybody else notice this?
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

What does she want to be? My DD is 3, and wants to be a princess (and has declared that DS will be a prince, DH will be a king and I will be a queen). Although last week she wanted to be an airplane. I will probably have to wait until the week before because she changes her mind so frequently. I haven't noticed that too much about the costumes, but honestly it doesn't surprise me that much
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

DD is 3 and also wants to be a princess. But, I've noticed that the sexed up thing isn't only limited to Halloween costumes. I was looking for some dresses for DD the other day and most of the clothes I saw were kind of hoochy looking for little girls. What happened to the nice, simple clothes for little kids? Why do they have to be small versions of the in styles that the adults are wearing these days? And, what is it with little girls wearing platform shoes? Am I just not with it or something??

I have the same complaint. We don't have the problem this year with Halloween costumes since the weeone wants to be "Chinese" and I've found a dress, wig and fans. I did look at Target and several catalogs and they little girl outfits are a bit too grown up for me.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Ironically, DD wanted to be a killer whale (they are studying whales in school) or a unicorn. A unicorn costume we could find....for a 4 year old. I have talked her into being a witch - we got a hat and a broom, but I just didn't like the Elvira-looking witch outfits, so we are going to sew her a skirt and cape.

It's true that the same issue exists with clothes. I struggle to find jeans for DD that are not low riders or shorts that will not get her kicked off an airplane for being too short.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

I didn't notice too much about the costumes in stores. We are beyond trick-or-treating age here, but I DID notice it last year at what came to the door.

Some of the pre-teen girls were sexed up way beyond their years and one early teen was WAYYYYYY over the line. I was so glad I answered the door and not my son! YIKES! This one somewhat heavy-set girl was obscene!

I can tell you one thing ... had she been MY daughter she would not have been let out on the street like that.

A dress and cape should not be too hard to make. Heck, you could probably put together a unicorn costume, if that is what she wanted to be. Maybe a leotard and tights/skirt or legging-type pants with a tail and a horn on an elastic band for her head.

Good luck! I have not really begun looking for clothes for fall for DD yet. We had a cold snap last week, and so I did run out and get some pants and long-sleeve shirts just to have something available for colder days. I'm sure it won't be too long before we can't shop in the toddler section of Target anymore. Its pretty safe there!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I absolutely agree. Luckily, my girls believe that Halloween costumes should be "scary" and so they're not interested in the divas, pop stars, and sexed-up school girl witches. But I actually had to tell my 6-year-old no last year when she asked if she could get a costume called "devilicious." Seriously. I couldn't believe it came in her size (4-6x). It was a totally sexed up popstar devil. And the little girl they have modeling it looks like she's on tranquilizers. The whole thing gives me the heeby jeebies!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Costume shopping for boys is just as bad. Everything I have seen was very gruesome aside from the variations of firemen/pirates/spiderman that every place has.
    Go for it!

I have the same problem trying to find a costume for myself. Why does "adult costume" have to mean a vixen or a french maid? I work in a high school for the love of Gordie!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    I have the same problem trying to find a costume for myself. Why does "adult costume" have to mean a vixen or a french maid? I work in a high school for the love of Gordie!
    I agree! I hate coming up with costumes and refuse to show off every inch of skin (and there are plenty of them ). And, yes, I've noticed that over the years the children's costumes have become sexier and it's truly disturbing.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Ah yes - see this thread from last year, discussing the very same issue!

Sadly, it doesn't look like there are any better choices this year!

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    for the love of Gordie!
    Hee hee hee!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

With all the dress up clothes we have accumulated from the thrift storefor parties and received as presents, I tell mine that they can create a costume from what is in the house. If we need a wig or some accessory,we get that, but I refuse to spend good money on that store bought stuff. Go check out your local thrift shop for raw materials or old costumes.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02