Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Old Old Weight Watchers Recipe

Old Old Old Weight Watchers Recipe

This is probably going to be the strangest request you've seen in a while.

In the spring/summer of 1980 I did Weight Watchers. This was looong before "points" -- they still used the ADA exchange system. The diet was also very precise and a lot more restrictive -- you could only have red meat three times a week, a lot of condiments and prepared foods were off-limits or limited, etc. ANYway ... one of the recipes we were given was for enchiladas, and I THINK the sauce had tomato juice as the primary ingredient.

I don't expect anyone here has the recipe, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that might have an archive of old WW recipes. I'm also not interested in current WW or CL or other enchilada recipes, it's this specific one I'm looking for. So, if you have any ideas ... let me know.

Hi! Your request is no more strange than my reply saying I have a bunch of the little "Hot Stuff" cookbooks that used to be passed out at WW meetings and I have found a recipe for Cheese Enchiladas. The main ingredient in the sauce is tomato juice. Here's the recipe and I'll keep looking thru the other issues to see if I find another one.

CHEESE ENCHILADAS
    from WW Hot Stuff, Volume 2

Sauce:
    8 oz tomato juice
    2 t chili powder
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1 t flour, instant flour preferred (instant? -- don't have a clue)
    1 T dehydrated onion flakes

Slowly and thoroughly stir tomato juice into the dried ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.

Enchiladas:
    2 tortillas (6")
    2 oz Cheddar or Jack cheese
    1 oz chopped onion (optional)

Heat tortillas on a griddle turning frequently until soft and pliable. Dip each into sauce, thoroughly coating both sides. Lay 1 oz of cheese on each tortilla, sprinkle with chopped onion if desired, then roll and place seam side down on a pie plate or other heat proof dish. Pour remaining sauce on top. Heat in oven or microwave until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. In oven approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees. In microwave oven approximately 2 minute. Makes 1 serving for the midday meal.

Equals: Once a week bread selection
    2 oz hard cheese
    1 oz limited vegetable (optional)
    1 serving something extra
    1 serving bonus
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

OH MY GOD THAT'S IT!!!

LOL

I bow to your recipe collection and your kindness in typing it up for me.

P.S. I still find it amusing that WW had "limited vegetables" ...

I'm quite impressed.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I'm impressed too, but I will also say I am not at all surprised!! This board is beyond amazing to me!

That's hysterical, the recipe and the Hot Stuff pamphlets both. It certainly points up how little those Flylady types here know about the importance of hanging onto things.

I'm one who positively thrived on WW "Danish," cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and sweet & low on toast, put under the broiler. But does anyone remember a tuna salad recipe, no mayo, where canned tuna was mixed with apple and big chunks of pickle? I can't tell you how much of that I ate.

To think, I was a mere 165 pounds in those days!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    I'm one who positively thrived on WW "Danish," cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and sweet & low on toast, put under the broiler.
    Bob, you know what? I loved that, and still do. LOL. Even when I'm being a hedonist, that's a favorite snack. One variation I developed early on was to spread (low sugar, of course) strawberry preserves on the bread first. With the fruit spread I usually skip sweetening the cottage cheese, and when I do, it's now splenda. But dang, that's a mighty fine snack/breakfast.

I don't remember the tuna thing, but I've never been a fan of tuna in general. I TRIED on WW, but could never eat more than a few bites.

What's even funnier is I have those "Hot Stuff" things AT THE OFFICE! They're in a 3 ring binder on my bookshelf. When I saw the request I happened to glance at the bookshelf and see the binder. There's a recipe in one of them called Hawaiian Chicken Livers that I ate every week -- it was the only way I could stand liver and back then once a week liver was mandatory.
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

Quote Originally Posted by ebobbitt View Post
    and back then once a week liver was mandatory.
    On Weight Watchers??? Wha wha wha what???

It cracks me up to see you all clinging to the "good old days."

Which means you might enjoy this:

The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan

Does anyone remember the WW baked apple recipe that...

required a can of diet creme soda?
    How about the homemade hot cocoa from Hershey's cocoa powder and skim milk?

My mom was a WW lifer and when I was in middle school she diplomatically "put" me on a diet (only now can I see what a gift that was). She used to make such great desserts that I never knew they were WW approved. I distinctly remember a Banana Cream Pie recipe that was excellent.
    BTW, I too remember eating liver once a week --and I think fish was a requirement as well.

I joined WW as an adult when the points system was the rage. I liked their recipes but tired of some. It's funny though, now I still "see" foods in terms of points--even though I no longer subscribe to that plan.

Just my two cents.

Mishquilt
    A Simple Life Is Its Own Greatest Reward

www.heyjeetyet.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post

Oh yes ... for the first 20 or so years of the program, you were supposed to eat liver once a week. That was the one rule I never ever considered following.

They had a lot of rules about how much you could/should eat of things in a week, or per day. As I said above, red meat 3 times/week max, also if you note the nutrition info for the recipe, it mentions a "once a week bread selection." I don't remember what that was about, maybe fat content. You were also supposed to eat one high-vitamin-A vegetable per day, one high-vitamin C fruit per day, etc. Actually, 95% of the rules made a lot of sense in terms of building an optimal diet, but people just wouldn't stand for that kind of precision any more. They -- and other plans -- have loosened the rules a lot just to make it more mentally palatable to most people. Even my most recent plan Jenny Craig, which still follows the ADA exchanges, has let go of their rules about having a vit-A-veg and a vit-C-fruit per day.

OK, I'll toss in my crazy "trying to find WW" recipe. It was in one of their monthly magazines.
    It was movie stars and their favs and I think tony Danza, but now, honestly, I have no clue, made an oyster pasta dish for Weight watchers.
    I LOOOVED that dish soooooooooo much.
    I sort of know it has canned oysters, spinach, onions and pasta and I try to re-make it, but would KILL for the original recipe!!
    I've posted on WW and no one has responded
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm one who positively thrived on WW "Danish," cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and sweet & low on toast, put under the broiler.

Bob

I seem to remember making it on raisin bread toast. Yummy
    newcook

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post
    Only for women. Iron, you know.

Bob

Bob
    My favourite line from a Simpsons episode... "More testicles mean more iron." Thank you Lunch Lady Doris.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I'm one who positively thrived on WW "Danish," cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and sweet & low on toast, put under the broiler. Bob
    Ummm...Bob? You wouldn't happen to have more precise measurements, would you? I'm trying to get more protein and calcium and find a 'different' breakfast, and this sounds good! Since I'm going to be working from home in a few weeks I'll actually be able to make something like this on my morning break!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Bob
    I believe you're wrong in that statement. My father joined WW back in 1971 and he ate liver once a week. He was the only one in the family to eat that entree and I TG worked from 12-10 and didn't have to be present for the weekly Wednesday event! My father, however, relished in the fact that he got to eat liver and onions once a week!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hi Jewel! I'm not Bob but I did find these three danish recipes in the Hot Stuff publications.

PINEAPPLE DANISH

1/3 c cottage cheese
    1 slice white enriched bread, crumbed
    1 t diet or imitation margarine, melted over hot water
    1/4 t vanilla extract
    1/2 c canned crushed pineapple, no sugar added
    artificial sweetener to equal 6 t sugar

Combine melted margarine, bread crumbs and sweetener to equal 2 t sugar, toss well. Press mixture into bottom of small oven proof dish. Add pineapple. Mash cottage chese with sweetener to equal 4 t sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over the pineapple and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Makes one serving for the morning meal.
    Equals: 1/3 c soft cheese
    1 serving bread
    1/2 serving fat
    1 serving fruit

RAISIN COFFEE DANISH

2/3 c non-fat dry milk
    2 slices white enriched bread, crumbed
    Artificial sweetener to equal 6 t sugar, or to taste
    1 1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 c water
    1 1/2 t vanilla extract
    1 t imitation butter flavoring
    2 medium apples, grated
    4 oz raisin bran cereal

In a large bowl, combine the milk powder, bread crumbs, sweetener, and cinnamon. In a cup, combine water, vanilla, and butter flavoring. Combine both mixtures. Add the apples and stir. Mix in the cereal. Form into 4 equal patties and bake on a non-stick baking sheet for 25 minutes at 350. Makes 4 servings for the morning meal.
    Each equals: 1 oz cereal
    1/2 serving bread
    1/2 serving fruit
    1/2 serving milk

FRUIT DANISH DELIGHT

1/2 medium apple, peeled, cored and grated
    1/3 c skim milk ricotta cheese
    artificial sweetener to equal 2 t sugar
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1 slice white enriched bread, toasted crisp

Combine first 4 ingredients. Pile on toast and broil until heated through and slightly browned on top. Makes one serving for the morning meal.
    Equals: 1/2 serving fruit
    1/3 c soft cheese
    1 serving bread

BANANA DANISH

1 oz bran flakes with raisins
    1 oz oatmeal
    1 medium banana
    1/2 t vanilla extract
    artificial sweetener to equal 6 t sugar
    1 slice white enriched bread
    1/3 cup non-fat dry milk

Mash the banana. Make the bread into crumbs in the blender. Mix all ingredients together. Shape into 2 equal patties. Place on a non-stick cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 2 servings for the morning meal.
    Each Equals: 1 serving cereal
    1 serving fruit
    1/2 serving bread
    1/2 serving milk
    Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth! These MUST be old publications....imitation margarine? As opposed to 'real' margarine? And mmmmmm...enriched white bread!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

salad dressings

Does anyone remember a salad dressing made w/tomato juice , dry mustard, peppers. I think they called it thousand island, not sure. I loved that stuff. It had no fat in it and was unlimited. Thanks

Loved that Danish as well.

I think WW has somewhat gone backward in terms of nutritional validity when they went for the points system rather than forcing people to eat a balanced diet.

I know I know and understand the psychology of marketing -- my mother used to laugh about WW Magazine which ALWAYS had a dessert item on the cover.

When I lost a serious amount of weight on WW, we were required to eat at least four servings of fish per week -- red meat was limited. You were permitted whole grains in limited amounts (or any form of carb).

It forced me to change my eating habits and I learned to really love fish and appreciate vegetables -- both for the taste and because they were healthy and helped me to control my appetite.

Regarding "limited vegetables" -- it's not as crazy as it sounds as it was those vegetables which are more complex carb in terms of calories -- i.e. corn. In terms of long term weight loss there's nothing wrong with corn per se but it needs to be eaten in limited quantities in terms of caloric density.

What I discovered on that WW program was something pretty close to what is now called Volumetrics -- If I filled myself on tasty relatively low calorically dense foods like chicken breast, fish, vegetables, fruits -- it was easier for me to control my total caloric intake and I didn't feel deprived.

One of my favorites was bread pudding -- cube a slice of whole wheat bread -- beat an egg with vanilla, cinnamon and Splenda - pour over the bread and let sit for about 30 minutes -- then bake in a bain marie for about 40 minutes. I guess one could also use raisins.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Iso WW recipes from the 1970's

I really love this thread, it brings back many memories...I lost 25lbs then and it took many month! lol.

I loved making the apple cake, made with apples (sliced) whole wheat bread and I can't for the life of me remember the rest..It was baked the those mini loaf pans...It did have egg in it too!

I hope someone will have it!

Thanks..Elaine

ROFLMAO!!! I'm on Weight Watchers right now and have just lost 28 lbs..and guess what I eat almost every week??? That darn danish

Here's how I make it:

3 slices of Pepperidge farm thin sliced bread (I like the WW)
    1/4 part-skim ricotta
    1 tsp. vanilla
    cinnamon
    B&B spread

Mix ricotta, vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon together; spread evenly on the 3 slice that have been toasted; dot with B&B and sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon; broil till bubbly...devour!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Selandmark -- Let me make a note to look for that recipe tonight. I seem to have taken my binder with the Hot Stuff pamphlets home. Or at least I can't find it in my office right now. I'll let you know whether or not I find it.

Tantegrazie -- that too sounds like something that might be in the Hot Stuff pamphlets. I'll look.
    Elizabeth

Ebobbitt

Thanks for looking, I look forward to it!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Tantegrazie View Post
    I really love this thread, it brings back many memories...I lost 25lbs then and it took many month! lol.

I loved making the apple cake, made with apples (sliced) whole wheat bread and I can't for the life of me remember the rest..It was baked the those mini loaf pans...It did have egg in it too!

I hope someone will have it!

Thanks..Elaine
    Not sure if this is the recipe you're looking for but it uses bread, eggs and sliced apples. I found it at Jewishfood-list.com.

Apple Cake, Weight Watchers (P, TNT)
    Source: Weight Watchers
    Serves: 6-8
    6 apples, cored and sliced
    6 eggs
    6 slices "light" bread
    Cinnamon
    Artificial sweetener of your choice

Process the bread to make bread crumbs.

Beat the eggs.

Combine apple slices, eggs, bread crumbs, cinnamon, and sweetener.

Pour into a baking pan, and sprinkle top with cinnamon mixture.

Bake 50 minutes at 350°F or until top is golden brown.

If you divide it into 6 portions, each portion is considered a meal. Good for breakfast, or lunch.

Thanks,

I"m pretty sure this is the one...I will try it tonight.

I remember the "liver once a week." I was never "legal" because of that -- yes, they asked if you had been "legal" the previous week at each meeting. I regularly make a lot of WW meals from fairly recent cookbooks, but I still make one recipe that goes back 30 years. It's a breakfast shake made with either frozen bananas, low-fat milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and artificial sweetener, or frozen strawberries, low fat-milk, vanilla, and artificial sweetener. I make one at least two or three times a month.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Tantegrazie & Selandmark

Here's what I found:
    APPLE PIE
    1 T unflavored gelatin
    ¾ c grapefruit flavored artificially sweetened carbonated beverage
    1 medium apple, cored, peeled & sliced
    Artificial sweetener to equal 4 t sugar
    ½ t apple pie spice
    1/3 c non-fat dry milk
    Soften gelatin with beverage in 8” pie pan. Add sliced apple. Sprinkle with sweetener and apple pie spice. Top with dry milk sprinkled evenly. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Pie will be browned but runny. Chill to set. Makes one serving. Equals; 1 serving fruit, 2 servings something extra, 1 serving milk

RUSSIAN DRESSING
    2 T plus 2 t mayonnaise
    2 T plus 2 t catsup
    1 T minced green pepper
    1 T minced pimento
    ¼ t Worcestershire sauce
    Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Divide evenly. Makes 4 servings. Each equals: 2 servings fat, 1 serving something extra, 1 ½ t vegetables

APPLESAUCE CAKE
    ½ c applesauce, no sugar added
    1 slice white enriched bread, crumbed
    1/3 c cottage cheese
    Artificial sweetener to equal 2 t sugar
    Dash cinnamon
    Place the bread crumbs, cheese, sweetener, and 2 T applesauce in the blender. Process until smooth. Drop by tablespoons on a hot non-stick skillet. Cook until brown on both sides. Serve with remaining applesauce as a topping. Makes 1 serving for the morning meal. Equals: 1 serving fruit, 1 serving bread, 1/3 c soft cheese

‘HONEY’ FRENCH DRESSING
    96 oz tomato juice
    ½ c wine vinegar
    ½ c apple cider vinegar
    ¼ c Worcestershire
    ¼ c soy sauce
    Artificial sweetener to equal 1 c sugar
    1/8 c hickory smoked salt
    Brown sugar replacement to equal 2/3 c brown sugar
    1/3 c dehydrated onion flakes
    1/3 c dehydrated parsley flakes
    Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until entire mixture is reduced by half. Divide evenly into 12 servings. Use as is or with measured amounts of vegetable oil for salads, as a basis for barbeque or sweet and sour sauces. Each equals: 1 serving bonus

APPLE SQUARES
    2 medium apples, sliced
    1 c water
    1 ½ t cinnamon
    Artificial sweetener to equal 16 t sugar
    4 medium eggs, separated
    1 1/3 c non-fat dry milk
    1 t vanilla extract
    2 t almond extrtact
    In a saucepan, combine apple slices, water, 1 t cinnamon, and sweetener to equal 4 t. Simmer until soft. In a large bowl, beat 4 egg whites until stiff. Add dry milk and beat until thick. In a small bowl, beat 4 egg yolks with vanilla, almond extract and sweetener to equal 10 t sugar. Add to egg whites. Mix well. Pour ½ egg mixture in 9X9 pan that has been treated with non-stick spray. Top with apples. Top with remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle with ½ t cinnamon and sweetener to equal 2 t sugar that has been mixed. Bake at 350 for 30- minutes. Makes 4 servings for the morning or midday meal. Divide evenly. Supplement as required. Each equals: ½ serving fruit, 1 egg, 1 serving milk
    Elizabeth