Community Message Boards

Thread: Canned beans past exp date?

Canned beans past exp date?

Oh dear...I just went to mix up a batch of Tuscan Bean Salad, turned over my cans of cannelloni beans: EXP 9/10/07

Anyone ever used canned beans past their date?

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I have used many canned things that were much further past their expiration date than that. I wouldn't even bat an eye over a couple of weeks. Don't worry about it another second!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

That's what I wanted to hear

Thanks Kathy!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Dates on canned and packaged goods are rarely expiration dates. In fact, canned goods used to not even have date stamps. These are "best by" dates. The manufacturer is saying that after that date the item might not be quite as good. I also suspect that those dates are also aimed at making you throw out perfectly good food and buy new.

It seems all I've seen regarding if canned goods are safe to eat is if the can is bulging or leaking or severely dented. Although since lead isn't used to solder the cans shut anymore, I seem to remember the denting isn't such a big issue unless it results in leaking.

If it hasn't exploded or isn't bulging, I use it
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I wouldn't hesitate from an expiration date earlier this month either. I did recently throw out several cans of tomatoes that I found lurking in the back of my pantry with expiration dates of 2005. My feeling was that they were probably still fine, but I just couldn't bring myself to use them. I also had some cans that weren't dated, and was worried that those might be even older. So, out those went too. I really need to be better about organizing stuff. I hate to throw food away.