Community Message Boards

Thread: Stocking freezer, how does poached chicken freeze?

Stocking freezer, how does poached chicken freeze?

I am trying to stock the freezer with some quick meals -- so far I have a black bean soup, some meatballs, pasta sauce etc.

I have some chicken that I want to use tonight, and I was thinking of poaching a bunch of boneless chicken, shred, then freeze so I could toss into soups etc. Any benefit to grilling instead vs poaching (maybe something with no water for grilling ???)

I've never frozen cooked chicken before so was just wondering how it freezes? I know it is a time saver -- but if you think the taste/texture is not as good -- not worth it.

I don't have a Food Saver so was just going to wrap it well it plastic (foil?) and then put in freezer bag.

What do you think? Thanks!

I freeze cooked chicken all the time, both grilled and poached. In fact, we're having some grilled chicken breasts tonight that were grilled last month.

Personally, I love poached chicken. It stays so moist. I cut it up or shred it and freeze 1-2 cup portions for meals later. I also buy rotisierre chicken when it's on sale, take the meat off the bone and freeze that for when I'm being lazy.

TieKitty,

Now if I could get answers to my questions IRL so fast. Thanks.

How do you store the chicken ... bags, wrap in plastic, etc.?

This will be such a time saver -- I can defrost some cooked chicken in the fridge overnight and/or same day and just toss into the soups while heating them up. And, woo hoo no extra pan to clean.

When you are eating the grilled chicke (that you froze) -- do you defrost overnight and heat up? Do you just warm in the oven (time/temp?). Sorry for all the questions -- I basically eat any leftover chicken cold, so have never heated it up, but would like to.

Much appreciated!

I love having cooked chicken in the freezer. I use two methods for cooking chicken (see below).

To store in the freezer, I put them in ziplock bags in 1 or 2 cup amounts, then wrap each plastic bag in foil. I defrost in the refrigerator.

Some recipes will heat the chicken up (casseroles that are baked, soups that are simmered) so I don't preheat the chicken. For some recipes, I bring the chicken to room temperature or even warm up in the microwave.

Here are the methods for cooking chicken breasts:

Roasted Chicken Breasts - Ina Garten

4 bone-in skin on chicken breast halves
    Good olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Place chicken breasts, breast side up, on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside and cool. (Very large ones take 45 min.)

Chop in 3/4 dice and use, or freeze.

Poached Chicken Breasts - Sara Foster

4 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin on
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    Spice Islands Chicken Seasoning Stock Base

Rinse the chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in a saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by 2. Add Chicken Seasoning Stock Base (about 2 to 3 teaspoons) at this point. Bring to a boil, lower heat so that the liquid simmers, and cook 30 to 35 minutes or until just cooked through. The juices should run clean when the chicken is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife in the thickest part.

Remove chicken from the water and cool until easy to handle. Remove the skin and discard. Pull the meat from the bones and shred into bite size pieces, or cut into chunks.

(If using boneless breasts, they will cook faster 15 to 20 minutes. But bone-in breasts have the best flavor.)

Quote Originally Posted by greek salad View Post
    TieKitty,

Now if I could get answers to my questions IRL so fast. Thanks.

How do you store the chicken ... bags, wrap in plastic, etc.?

This will be such a time saver -- I can defrost some cooked chicken in the fridge overnight and/or same day and just toss into the soups while heating them up. And, woo hoo no extra pan to clean.

When you are eating the grilled chicke (that you froze) -- do you defrost overnight and heat up? Do you just warm in the oven (time/temp?). Sorry for all the questions -- I basically eat any leftover chicken cold, so have never heated it up, but would like to.

Much appreciated!
    The chicken we had last night was grilled with a Roasted Raspberry and Chipotle sauce. I defrosted it in the fridge overnight, put some more sauce on top, covered it in foil and baked it in the toaster oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.

I freeze portions of chicken in zip lock bags. I try to remember to take them out the night before but have been known to put them in a sink (still in the bag) in warm water for a little bit.

It is a great time saver!

Thanks TieKitty ---

Poached a bunch of chicken last night, so got a good stash in my freezer. I know I will love this timesaver.

Thanks for the info.