Community Message Boards

Thread: Sub for yogurt in quick bread

Question Sub for yogurt in quick bread

Assuming I can get my kids to take their naps, I had wanted to try this recipe today. But I am lacking the 1C of vanilla yogurt. I have 4 oz of vanilla yogurt. I have strawberry yogurt as well, but I'm not thinking that's going to go well in this recipe. What can I use? If it matters, I will be using real eggs, not egg substitute. I see the recipe only calls for 3 Tbs of oil. Can I increase the oil? How much should I use? What else can I use as a sub?

Zucchini-Pecan Flaxseed Bread
    Cooking Light

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
    1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    Cooking spray
    3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, granulated sugar, and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Spread zucchini onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Press down firmly to remove excess liquid.

Combine yogurt, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in zucchini.

Add zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup pecans to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle batter with 3 tablespoons pecans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

You probably would have mentioned it, any sour cream?

Low-fat vanilla yogurt is going to provide vanilla, sweetener, and acidic dairy.

Buttermilk, sour cream, or plain yogurt would be the best sub, along with a dribble of vanilla and a spoon or two of sugar/sweetener. If you don't have that, combine 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes before adding to the recipe. Again, add some vanilla and sweetener.

Buttermilk?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I just subbed cottage cheese for plain yogurt (cup for cup) in a banana bread yesterday and it turned out great. I've used sour cream in the past.

I have no idea how it would turn out, but if it were me I'd probably use the 4 oz. of vanilla yogurt and add 4 oz. of the strawberry. I would think the strawberry flavor wouldn't be that pronounced when mixed with all the other ingredients, though I'd maybe cut back on the sugar a tad if it's a very sweet yogurt. (This is assuming you don't have buttermilk or sour cream on hand, in which case I'd use one of them as others have suggested.)
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for all the suggestions! As it happens, we don't eat much dairy anymore, so I didn't have any of the above. I did seriously consider using the strawberry yogurt, but decided that if even a hint of strawberry flavor was discernible in the bread I wouldn't like it, so decided against it. So I went with a T& T recipe that didn't call for any dairy to use up the zucchini I bought, and I'll try this recipe another time.

Thanks again!
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

Darn, everyone beat me to the punch on this one. But if you're ever looking for substitutions again, there's a good sub chart at R4L.