Community Message Boards

Thread: What's a good side dish for cabbage roles

Question What's a good side dish for cabbage roles

For the first time in my life I'm trying my hand at cabbage rolls. What would make a good side dish for this? I'm coming up short.

Thanks for any ideas!

Care to describe what's in them? Or post the recipe? It could help.

Salad always seems to go with cabbage rolls, but it would be good to know what's in the rolls.

Are you talking stuffed cabbage? Definitely mashed potatoes!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

If your cabbage rolls don't use sauerkraut, I'd serve them sauerkraut and mashed potatoes and a throwback to my childhood!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

cabbage rolls in my house were always accompanied by homemade bread (thick farmhouse slices) and an optional salad.

it is funny how different foods speak to people - the idea of mashed potatoes with cabbage rolls icks me out for no good reason, just wasn't want i was raised on
    - Josie

Sorry....I didn't think to post the recipe. Here goes:

Roasted Cabbage Rolls (CL 1/2002)

Cabbage Rolls:

1 (3-lb) head cabbage
    2 TBS water
    Cooking spray
    1 onion, slivered
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup uncooked long gran rice
    1 cup diced Granny Smith apple
    2/3 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
    1 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
    3/4 tsp. dried rubbed sage
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 large egg
    1 lb ground turkey
    1/4 cup water

Basting Glaze:

4 bacon slices, choppped
    1/3 cup dark corn syrup
    3 TBS tomato paste
    1 1/2 TBS water
    3/4 tsp. salt

To prepare cabbage rolls, core cabbage using a serrated knife. Place cabbage in an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole, add 2 TBS. water. Loosely cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Microwave at high 9 minutes, rotating baking dish a half turn after 5 minutes. Cover dish and let stand 15 minutes. Discard any tough dark green leaves. Remove 8 light colored cabbage leaves. Cut off raised portion of the main vein of each leaf, and set leaves aside. Finely chop enough remaining cabbage to measure 1/2 cup, and set aside. Coarsely chop enough remaining cabbage to measure 2 cups; arrange in bottom of a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 2 cups chopped cabbage.

Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 minutes. Drain well.

Combine 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage, rice, egg, and next 7 ingredients (apple though egg). Crumble turkey over mixture, stir just until blended. Place about 1/2 cup turkey mixture in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in edges of leaves, and roll up. Place cabbage rolls on top of coarsely chopped cabbage. Cut several 1/4 inch deep slits across top of each roll. Pour 1/4 water over rolls. Cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

To prepare basting glaze, cook the bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Remove bacon from pan; discard bacon drippings. Return bacon to pan; stir in corn syrup and remaining ingredients. Uncover cabbage rolls; spoon 1/3 basting glaze over caggage rolls. Bake, uncovered 1 hour, basting with basting glaze every 20 minutes. Spoon about 1/4 cup remaining cabbage on each of 8 plates, top each with 1 cabbage roll.

Yield: 8 servings

I would serve glazed carrots as a side. Cabbage rolls so lack color (but sure have flavor) so the punch of color and a different tecture would be nice. I always sprinkle some cinnamon on my glazed carrots.

i'd like a nice big salad with some cheese in it with that. and maybe a roll to sop up the juices with. mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Deechef View Post
    I would serve glazed carrots as a side. Cabbage rolls so lack color (but sure have flavor) so the punch of color and a different tecture would be nice. I always sprinkle some cinnamon on my glazed carrots.
    Carrots is a great idea. Especially after seeing the recipe. I think potatoes with rice is a bit too much starch in the meal. But that's MO.

Have you tried nutmeg instead of cinnamon on your carrots? They go really well together.

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    cabbage rolls in my house were always accompanied by homemade bread (thick farmhouse slices) and an optional salad.

it is funny how different foods speak to people - the idea of mashed potatoes with cabbage rolls icks me out for no good reason, just wasn't want i was raised on
    But it's just meatloaf in a cabbage leaf!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    lol

now i am off on a tangent ... but i think i would really like to make my mom's meatloaf into a cabbage roll. man that sounds good
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    lol

now i am off on a tangent ... but i think i would really like to make my mom's meatloaf into a cabbage roll. man that sounds good
    I made a stuffed cabbage soup today, and I just want to eat it over a bowl of smashies tonight. And I'm sure the meatloaf recipe in a cabbage leaf would work! Nice tomato-based sauce on top....

I LOVE stuffed cabbage rolls. I make my mom's recipe for sweet and sour cabbage rolls. We usually have them with a salad and bread to mop up all the juices and that is a hearty, filling, and mighty tasty comfort-food meal. I think I just drooled on the keyboard!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    I think since it has rice in it, it's more than just meatloaf. But the fillings are pretty similar otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by avariell
    That DOES sound good.

I like to serve hashbrowns as a side, but it does make for a lot of starch.

Corn on the cob or corn cut off the cob sauted in a little butter with salt and pepper. I like the carrot idea too! Salad and bread. What a great dinner.

what to have

Gosh I love cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers...It always reminds me of my childhood. I serve mine with Rice or Fryed Potatoes and Onions..Figure if im gonna cook comfort food...better go all the way...Mashed potatoes sound good too..