Community Message Boards

Thread: The world's best apple is back! Honeycrisps!

The world's best apple is back! Honeycrisps!

I have seen them at Krogers, heard about them at HEB and bought at all places, SAM's! (6.98 for 6)

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

We love these, too, but I was under the impression that the season was over around here. I'm glad you've got them. Enjoy!
    Visit my website at www.simplydeliciouschef.com

Mmm, honeycrisps...I had no idea they existed until my brother went apple-picking and gave us a bag of 'em. Now I need to go to the store!

oh, i can't let this pass--- i respectfully beg to differ. The BESt apple in the world, for pies, straight eating, tart and yummy salads and almost anything else, is a NY Macintosh, eaten in NY state!

We finally got them here too. After all the raves last year I really wanted to try some. Now that I have I have been raving about them to everyone I know. Costco has them 8 for $8.99.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Picked up a 3 lb bag at TJs for $4.69. WOW! I think this is my first year to try Honey Crisp apples. These may edge out both Fuji and Pink Lady apples. I like living closer to Michigan, as I'm sure they have these at the farmer's markets too.

~Emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Aren't they great??!! I wait all summer for them to hit the local produce stands. My fav one here actually goes to the Virginia mountains and brings them back... they are wonderful!!!!!

I have to agree. I bought these for the first time a couple of weeks ago and think they're one of the best eating apples I've ever tasted. I'm not sure how long they'll be available in my area, but I hope they last for a few more weeks. Haven't baked with them yet.

They are great for eating, but don't make for good baking apples. Good in salads though! We've been enjoying them for a few years now!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by memartha View Post
    We love these, too, but I was under the impression that the season was over around here. I'm glad you've got them. Enjoy!
    Not quite. We were just down at Keown in Sutton this morning and they had half-peck bags for $10; I passed them up and bought a couple of other kinds instead, though I may yet regret that. This year was the first time I'd ever had Honeycrisps, and I finally understand why everyone gets so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    don't make for good baking apples.
    Good to know. Cortlands are in season now, and I like them for baking. They're especially good for applesauce if you like it chunky and white.

Have you ever tried an Ambrosia apple? For an eating out of hand apple, it is outstanding! It's native to Canada so we used to make the drive up every year just to get those guys. Now we're starting to see them south of the border. If you get a chance to try one, go for it.

I live half a mile from an apple orchard, and applecrisps are my FAVORITE!!! I go twice a week, sometimes more, and get the freshest apples!! They can not be beat. Debralynn

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

We've been eating fruit salsa this weekend made out of honeycrisps. Berry chips for dippers - yummy! Darla

Thumbs up

Honeycrisp is definitely the favorite apple around our house! My husband was SO excited to see these back in the store. I love the crunch of these apples. The only problem I have with them is that they are so big I usually have to share one!

I saw them last night at Whole Foods but had never heard of them. They weren't organic though.

I was giddy to see ORGANIC Honeycrisps at my Kroger a few weeks ago and I've had one a day since then. I do agree with HH, though, about NY Macintosh.
    We lived in Michigan 2004-2005 and that was where we first discovered them. There aren't any in Colorado (to pick, anyway) until 2008 but we will so be there.
    Yum!
    "It's easier NOT to ingest 300 calories than to ingest it and then have to burn it off."
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    oh, i can't let this pass--- i respectfully beg to differ. The BESt apple in the world, for pies, straight eating, tart and yummy salads and almost anything else, is a NY Macintosh, eaten in NY state!
    I agree! Unfortunately, a Macintosh grown elsewhere is NOT the same thing. And the NY Macs available here in TX at Central Market do not quite live up to my recollection of the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    They are great for eating, but don't make for good baking apples. Good in salads though! We've been enjoying them for a few years now!
    Hey, Joe, I just noticed that you are back in Minnesota. Which, to keep things on topic, is where the Honeycrisp apple was developed.

There's nothing quiet like apple picking, plucking the apple right off the tree and eating it in the orchard. yum.

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlico View Post
    Picked up a 3 lb bag at TJs for $4.69. WOW! I think this is my first year to try Honey Crisp apples. These may edge out both Fuji and Pink Lady apples. I like living closer to Michigan, as I'm sure they have these at the farmer's markets too.

~Emilie~

That's a great price! I've only seen Honey Crisps at Whole Foods for $3.49/lb. I enjoy 'em while they last. Then it's Macs and Cortlands until they're gone, then back to Pink Ladys.

We love these, too, but I'm a bit confused. Did they go somewhere? Was there a shortage that I missed? We've had them regularly here each season.

I wonder if they'd make good cider...

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    We love these, too, but I'm a bit confused. Did they go somewhere? Was there a shortage that I missed? We've had them regularly here each season.
    The season seems to be pretty short most places, so I think everyone just gets excited when they show up.

I went into my grocery store over the weekend and found their bins full of apples from Washington, when we are *surrounded* by orchards here. Just seems bizarre.