Community Message Boards

Thread: Casserole Help Please

Casserole Help Please

My son's preschool is having a fundraising in which they sell casseroles. It is hugely successful. I have already made Sara Foster's Chicken Pot Pie for it and have to find another one to make.

I have a excellent pantry and a stocked freezer so would love to find something to make without having to go to the store. DS2 is sick today so I really don't want to drag him out.

Stipulations.
    1. Must be freezer friendly.
    2. I'd rather not do a pasta since I feel that there will probably be a lot of pasta casseroles.
    3. Must be able to be reheated in the stove.

They really don't care what we make. Please give me some inspiration.

Thanks so much.
    Cheryl

If you have chicken, Rotel, Tortillas and cream of whatever soup - King Ranch Chicken.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Enchiladas? You can make ground beef or chicken. They don't take long to throw together, most people like them and they freeze well. I have given Beef Enchiladas from the freezer to other families, and they have always been a hit.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
    If you have chicken, Rotel, Tortillas and cream of whatever soup - King Ranch Chicken.

SSM
    I don't know how likely you are to have some of these ingredients on hand but here's a recipe from Whole Foods that doesn't use cream of whatever. It can be frozen and then thawed overnight in the fridge baking 35-45 minutes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southwest King Ranch Casserole

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Filling:
    3 tablespoons canola oil (I used 1 tbs)
    1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt (1/2 tsp)
    3 cups shredded cooked boneless chicken
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Casserole:
    2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (used 2 cups pepper jack)
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese (used 2 cups sharp cheddar)
    2 cups bottled tomatillo sauce (used 3 cups salsa verde)
    8 corn tortillas (used 10)
    1 1/2 cups sour cream (used 2 cups)
    1/2 cup chopped green chilies, drained

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add
    onions, and cook them until they are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Blend in garlic, paprika, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Add chicken, and heat through. Remove the pan from the heat; stir in cilantro.

In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.

On the bottom of an 8 x 8 1/2-inch pan (used a 12x2-inch round cake pan) at least 2 inches deep, spread 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Top with 4 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Spread half the sour cream evenly over the tortillas. Add 1/2 cup of the remaining tomatillo sauce, 1 1/2 cups of the chicken filling, 1 cup cheese mixture, and one half of the green chilies.

Top with 4 more tortillas, the remainder of the sour cream, tomatillo sauce, and chicken filling, 1 cup of the cheese mixture, and the remaining green chilies. End with 1 cup cheese mixture sprinkled on top. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly on the surface. (Assembled early, refrigerated for 2 hours and baked for 35 minutes)

per serving: 410 cal, 28g pro, 16g carb, 26g fat, 85mg chol, 550mg sod. (Not the same but will have to wait to put it into MC)

Source:
    "Whole Foods Market Cookbook"
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Here's a link to threads that Val found that may be helpful.

Can this be frozen?

I just made this today, and it's wonderful. If it can be frozen instead of refrigerated (I hope someone else can comment on this), it's perfect. Here you go:

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Toast Soufflé (Overnight)

Recipe By :Incredibly fast to put together--simple enough for a busy holiday season.
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bread Breakfast
    Casserole Christmas Possibility
    Easter Possibility Easy Entertaining
    Family Meals Five-Star Favorite
    Main Dish Make Ahead/SOME last-min prep
    New Year's Eve/Day Possibility Thanksgiving Possibility

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    16 ounces whole wheat bread -- cubed, noting that 16 ounces of 1-inch slices should give you the 10 cups needed for the 12-serving recipe.

8 ounces Neufchatel cheese -- softened

8 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    2/3 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -- optional

2 tablespoons powdered sugar
    3/4 cup maple syrup -- optional

Place bread cubes in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray
    (half recipe, for 6 servings, goes into 8x8 pan). Beat cream cheese at
    medium speed of mixer until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well
    after each addition. Add milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, vanilla, and
    cinnamon, and mix until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over top of
    bread; press bread cubes into liquid. COVER AND REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.

Remove bread mixture from refrigerator; let stand on counter for 30
    minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Uncover the dish. Bake the 13x9
    dish at 375° for 50 minutes or until puffed into a rounded top, and set
    (or bake an 8x8 pan for 30-32 minutes).

Sprinkle the soufflé with powdered sugar (on individual slices on the
    plates, not before cutting it--the powdered sugar is a pretty garnish on
    the plates), and serve with maple syrup or other syrup if desired.

Description:
    "Very easy, make-ahead breakfast casserole."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2001"
    S(Internet Address):
    ""
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 247 Calories; 10g Fat (35.5%
    calories from fat); 11g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 158mg
    Cholesterol; 338mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0
    Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Servings are about 3" x 4." Would be nice served with a savory (egg-based and/or sausage-based) breakfast casserole as well.

NOTES : Not really a true soufflé (although it does puff up when
    it's ready), but a light and airy breakfast sweet that
    turns out to be quite filling.

Recipe called for cubed sturdy white bread (such as
    Pepperidge Farm Hearty White), but I rarely buy white
    bread, and the recipe is wonderful with ordinary
    whole-wheat bread. I made Peanut-Butter-and-Apple Pockets
    and used the cut-off bread and crusts for this
    recipe--it's a perfect fit, as 6 pockets provide the right
    amount of scraps for a 6-serving recipe of French Toast
    Soufflé (which is prettier if you cut the bread instead of
    tearing it).

Nutritional information excludes the maple syrup as a
    topping. Recipe is tasty and moist enough not to need
    syrup, especially if watching one's calories.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I don't know how likely you are to have some of these ingredients on hand but here's a recipe from Whole Foods that doesn't use cream of whatever. It can be frozen and then thawed overnight in the fridge baking 35-45 minutes.
    I have all of the ingredients except for the corn tortillas. Do you think that ww flour ones will be okay?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    I have all of the ingredients except for the corn tortillas. Do you think that ww flour ones will be okay?

Cheryl
    Honestly? No, I don't think they'd be okay because they would get soggy. Corn tortillas hold up to liquid much better. But, I do know that some people have used flour tortillas in casserole type dishes and enjoyed them.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Cheryl

Have any tostito chips? They would do in a pinch but I agree with Robyn that flour wouldn't do very well in this recipe.

Sadly no, I don't have any chips either.

Anyone have other casserole dishes recommend?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

What about an egg casserole? Diced bell peppers, onion, sausage, egg and cheese?
    Terri _A
    “I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Also, check out this thread for some ideas...

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...+ranch+chicken
    Terri _A
    “I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Maybe King Ranch chicken Lasagna? Never tried it...

The beauty of KRC is that it is the perfect casserole - it travels, it freezes and reheats like a dream, it's good the second day, most folks like it, etc.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

How about a breakfast casserole?

This link has some that I've done and they freeze well.

One of my favorites (and go-to weeknight meals) is Chicken Divan. I also have a great chicken and wild rice casserole recipe. What about a lasagna? Would that work or do they really want traditional casseroles?

Traditional Chicken Divan
    2 bunches broccoli
    2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
    1/3 cup sherry
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more to taste)
    salt and pepper
    nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 325.
    2. Steam broccoli for 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain in colander.
    3. In a medium frying pan, saute chicken breasts in olive oil until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and drain on paper towls.
    4. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to eliminate the taste of raw flour. Then gradually whisk in chicken broth, sherry and milk or half and half, until incorporated. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the sauce is the consistency you desire. Add just a dash of nutmeg. Add 3/4 of the cheese blend and whisk until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    5. In a 9x13 dish arrange chicken breasts (either whole or sliced) and broccoli. Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. Make several slits in the aluminum foil to allow the steam to escape.
    6. Note: At this point, the dish can be frozen or refrigerated.
    7. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, taking off the aluminum foil for the last 10.

Thank you everyone. I just made Sneezles recipe after a quick run to the store. I doubled it and we will be eating it for tonight's supper and I'll be taking the other one to preschool on Thursday for the fall festival.

Cheryl, would you mind sharing the details of how the fundraiser works? Sounds like one to keep in mind, and it is certainly different from the usual run-of-the-mill stuff! TIA!
    kathyb

Kathy,

Two groups within our church do this fundraiser (preschool and Holiday Festival) during their festivals.

The preschool does it more simply. Essentially, they purchase 8X8 gladware oven dishes and get volunteers to make their favorite casserole. You receive the gladware and a ziplock bag with a number on it. You make your casserole and freeze it and include the ingredient list. The coordinator makes a master list of the casseroles and they have a table at the festival. The casseroles are dropped off during carpool and at put in the church freezer. There is a runner who goes and gets them and brings them to the gym. I think the pricing is $15 for a main dish and $10 for a dessert or breakfast.

The Holiday Festival sells 600 of them for $15 each to benefit Habitat for Humanity. The Women's Group at church coordinates this. The committee picks the recipes (about 10), provides the gladware, a ziplock, and a label. You make your casserole and freeze it and drop it off before the festival. They do take some pre-orders, but most are sold on Saturday.

Let me know if you have any more questions. One of my friends is in charge of the preschool one and her mother is in charge of the Holiday Festival so I'm sure I can get the answers.

Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl. I am sending the idea on to the Youth director at our church. They are always looking for ideas.
    kathyb

Kathy, I am working on two new fundraising proposals for our church, plus run the children's consignment sale. Let me know if you are interested in details of either of them.

Kathy,

Two groups within our church do this fundraiser (preschool and Holiday Festival) during their festivals.

The preschool does it more simply. Essentially, they purchase 8X8 gladware oven dishes and get volunteers to make their favorite casserole. You receive the gladware and a ziplock bag with a number on it. You make your casserole and freeze it and include the ingredient list. The coordinator makes a master list of the casseroles and they have a table at the festival. The casseroles are dropped off during carpool and at put in the church freezer. There is a runner who goes and gets them and brings them to the gym. I think the pricing is $15 for a main dish and $10 for a dessert or breakfast.

The Holiday Festival sells 600 of them for $15 each to benefit Habitat for Humanity. The Women's Group at church coordinates this. The committee picks the recipes (about 10), provides the gladware, a ziplock, and a label. You make your casserole and freeze it and drop it off before the festival. They do take some pre-orders, but most are sold on Saturday.

Let me know if you have any more questions. One of my friends is in charge of the preschool one and her mother is in charge of the Holiday Festival so I'm sure I can get the answers.

Cheryl
    What a GREAT idea for a fundraiser! At our school, we just do the traditional bake sale or t-shirt sale...this would be something different and fun. Thank you so much for the idea!

Kathy, I am working on two new fundraising proposals for our church, plus run the children's consignment sale. Let me know if you are interested in details of either of them.
    Sure, I'd love to hear about them! Thanks for the offer.
    kathyb

Kathy,

Our church runs a children's consignment sale. Essentially, we sell used clothes, toys and equipment. We keep 1/3 of the selling price for managing the sale. Here's a link to our website. www.dunwoodyumc.org/consignmentsale.htm

I haven't updated this since the last sale, but in August we grossed $60,000 and gave about $18,000 to missions.

Another idea that I have is a promotion called Chunk your Change. Essentially for two weeks, we will have a promotion where everyone brings their spare change to church and puts it in some type of vessel. We are planning on using the proceeds to host monthly birthday parties and presents for the children at the United Methodist Children's Home. We are planning on running this promotion in February.

My final thing that I'm working on is selling gift cards during the holiday and end of school year seasons. Essentially, we will take the orders and work with a wholesaler to buy gift cards. People pay upfront and we will get a rebate which will range from 3 - 15%. I'm trying to get this one off the ground in time for Christmas this year, but I'm not sure if I can.

My mom's church just did a soup sale in order to raise money for missions.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Cheryl