Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caya party

Hi, I'm Julie and I been a CL gal for about 2 yrs. Like Beth, I've been an attorney but for a little over ten years. I'm leaving to try and have another baby too! Small world. I live in Oklahoma, and love to cook. I buy cookbooks like other people buy novels. I think I would bring some garlicky roasted potatoe salad and a good chenin blanc!

CAYA=Come as you are
    SAHM=Stay at home mom
    LOL=Laughing out loud
    ROFLOL= Rolling on the floor, Laughing out loud
    NAM= Need a margarita, been reading the CLBBs

I'm one of a number of Beth's from the old board, another attorney, non-practicing, mother of 2 boys, about to turn 4 & 7. I got CL when it was brand new and eventually dropped it. I'm back for the last few years and enjoying the magazine more. I discovered the BB a few months ago when I wanted to send a LTE (letter to the Editor), but it wouldn't go through. I have enjoyed the comments, suggestions, ideas and friendship on this board. I am further impressed by CL and its readers. I have a bad neck and am here sporadically, for doses of humor, diversion and to share cooking info when I can.

For a CAYA, I'd probably grab some homemade pepper jelly, a block of low fat cream cheese, and a box of whole grain crackers...maybe some salsa and chips, and those margaritas we've been talking about.

Hi, my name is Cathy, and I live in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago. I am a cpa, and since this is my "slower season" at work, I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible. I also enjoy trying new CL recipies. I think the BB comments are a great way to decide which recipies to try first.

I will bring ham & cheese biscuits (from the 5 star CL cookbook) and the couscous, chickpea and nectarine salad from this months issue - real good, and I dont usually like fruit!!!!

Cool

My name is Nydia and I love this BB that I only discovered about a month ago. I haven't posted much, but I love reading your comments. I feel like I know you guys. Now because of this message thread, we can all know each other better. What a great idea!

I am a computer programmer living in Austin, Texas and have only been a CL subscriber for about a year. It has renewed my interest in cooking (although I, too have to add extra spice to most of the dishes). I'll chip in with the margaritas, chips and salsa, and Easy Lemon Squares.

Talking

What a great party AND such good food!!! My name is Carol, and I live just outside St. Louis, MO. I work as a Copy Editor/Training Administrator. My two kids are grown and out of the house, so it's just me and my hubby. Baking is my first love, but I thoroughly enjoy cooking too! Low-fat has been my mantra for the past 17 years. I just started a CL subscription this year, and I discovered this BB several months ago. Up until this year I was an occasional reader of CL. I enjoy my time reading this board and find lots of good info and feedback. Although I don't read it EVERY day, I like to contribute when I can

My CL repertoire is limited, but I'll add some fruit to this potluck with the Fresh Strawberry Pie (4/00). If the dish can be non-CL, I'd definitely bring Cream Cheese Stollens--a great breakfast treat for the wee hours when the party breaks

Hi all! I'm Denise from Colorado. I am single, so end up experimenting on lots of friends with my CL recipes. Everyone at work (I build chemical instruments) loved the article on brownies.

I'm feeling summery today so I think I'll bring the Spring salad with asparagas and radishes and the Confetti chicken salad.

Hi, I'm Michele - I also posted under the other call-to-introductions, but thought I'd post again here. I'm 27, single, and a journalist living just outside of Washington D.C. I'm a big fan of CL, and love to throw dinner parties using recipes from the magazine. Let's see... I'd bring either the Brie Strata with Apricot and Papaya Salsa (I almost went over the moon when I found a CL recipe that included BRIE!!) - May 96 or May 98, I think - or the Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Syrup from Dec. 99. The Cider Syrup really made the soup!!

Cheers!

Smile

Hi, I'm Shelly. I discovered this board about a year and a half ago and absolutely LOVE it and all of you guys!! Like Beth, I subscribed to CL for a few years when it was brand new, dropped it, and have been getting it again for the last several years. I am engaged and have a 9 year old daughter who fortunately is much less picky than I was at her age. She will at least try almost anything, and she likes most veggies. We recently relocated to Tallahassee, FL after my fiance graduated last August. I am a nurse who works 12 hour shifts, so unfortunately on the days I work, it's either the crockpot,sandwiches or leftovers. My honey is very good about eating leftovers and will eat almost anything (I have to hide certain veggies in some dishes!!) Baking is my favorite, and I also have a cookbook/recipe collection that is out of control!! I am finally becoming comfortable with altering recipes and creating new things - this takes lots of time to develop, I've discovered.
    I will bring the Pasta with Asiago Cheese and Spinach, garlic bread and a bottle of merlot (and maybe the Blueberry Poundcake too!!)

Smile

Hi, this is Jessica in St. Paul, Minnesota, yet another fan of the fabulous Blueberry-Lemon Pound Cake. I bring it to so many parties my husband probably is tired of it--but the butter-pecan brownies in the new issue might replace that cake!! I don't have kids but my husband will taste anything once, so I try all sorts of recipes. I will bring the black-bean stew over polenta, which will taste great with those margaritas.

I'm not sure if I should reintroduce myself, but here goes. My name is Cindy, and it looks like I'm the only one that lives in Canada. I love to cook so much that I do it proffesionally. The cardiac institute,(were I work), revolves around the concept of a healthy lifestyle that you can live with, so all of my recipes have to be "heart heathly. CL has definately made my job easier. So with moderation in mind, I'll bring a great chardonnay to go with a great hot artichoke dip,(just to keep us busy while the margaritas are being made).

HOT ARTICHOKE DIP!!!!!

Do you have a recipe you would be willing to share?! This is my fav., but all I have is the HIGH fat version!

Originally posted by Denise:
    HOT ARTICHOKE DIP!!!!!

Do you have a recipe you would be willing to share?! This is my fav., but all I have is the HIGH fat version!
    Denise
    I'm totally willing to share. Just give me a day or two to track down the exact measurements for you.
    Cindy

Hi Everyone! I was Jenny in Mississippi on the old boards, but we just moved to Utah, so that name had to go...

Moving is painful, especially with an 11 mo. old and a 4 yr old. All of my cookbooks are still in boxes because my kitchen is smaller in the new house and there just isn't room.
    I still have two dish packs in the garage and I think my measuring cups/spoons must be in there because I've been cooking without them for the last few weeks. Maybe that's why my husband keeps suggesting we go out for dinner. LOL

Anyway, this BB has been my source of relaxation. A CAYA party sounds wonderful! I think I bring the Beef Churasco with Pebre Sauce (C.L.Dec 99) and the Lemon Curd Cheesecake. Yum!

Cool

Hi everyone. My name is Marie and I come from Connecticut. I'm married and my husband and I are expecting our first child this Christmas. My husband and I love to cook, but don't have the time as we both work full time in finance. (I know, just wait to the baby comes. We'll never eat!) When we can cook, it works out well as he's the baker and I'm the sous chef - this way we never get in each others way!

I've been a CL subscriber for over 10 years (I still can't believe it) and have seen the magazine change so many times over. This years series and format is definately one of the bests!!

For the party, we'll bring our absolute favorite comfort type dessert - Cinnamon Apple Cake (CL - 10/97).

[This message has been edited by MarieL (edited 06-24-2000).]

Question

Originally posted by Cathy:
    Hi! My name is Cathy and I live in Hayden, Idaho, which is 90 miles from the Canadian border. My husband & I live on 10 heavily wooded acres with our 3 Newfoundland dogs. We both enjoy cooking and are trying new recipes all the time. What a fun party this would be if we could all get together in person. I would bring our favorite lowfat Tofu Citrus Cheesecake. Yummy!
    Tofu Citrus Cheesecake?? Sounds interesting, especially since I am to increase my soy intake. How about sharing the recipe? I have only been a CL subscriber for a few months and have missed out on what I'm sure are tons of great recipes.

Cool

Hi! I am Michelle and live in Austin, Texas. I love to cook, bake...experiment with recipes...tweaking recipes and collecting cookbooks as well. I am single and enjoy cooking for my family and friends. I find it hard to cook for one...so I always invite a crowd when trying a new recipe that sound good. I would bring CL's Seafood Paella....absolutely wonderful.

Cool

Wow! This has been such fun to read! And I am getting sooooo hungry now wishing we could actually have this party!

My name is Jennifer, and I currently live in Alexandria, VA (outside of Washington DC), but am 'from' Oklahoma (eastern OK and OKC area). I work as a consultant, which unfortunately allows me zero time during the week to cook - but lots of time on the weekends! The BB has truly been an inspiration, and I am planning to try so many dished that have been recommended that I might never have tried before!

I can't decide what to bring, but maybe the Chicken In A Pot or the Caribbean-Style Beef Soft Tacos. They would both go well with the margaritas!

hi there. my name is emily. i fear that i am the youngest one around here at 21. i've been cooking since i got to college 3 years ago -i go to rice university in houston, tx- where i usually hold dinner parties so that my friends can try out my experimentations. i'm living in san francisco for the summer and have a wonderful boyfriend who tries everything and tells me "this is the best thing i've ever had." of course, he's used to eating mcdonalds on a daily basis

i would definately bring the apple-brie braid from december's issue. i've found if you use a mild brie it makes the inside taste fabulously buttery

Question

I new I couldnt miss this one. My name is Melissa and I recently moved to the Seattle area from San Diego, my husband and I have not met to many people thus far, so this is the next best thing! I have been receiving CL since '94 and must admit that I read it to get ideas but usually greatly alter the recipes (extra ingrediants etc.)
    I will bring the peanutty noodles WITH shrimp! I found that a cold Pinot Grigio goes well with this! Thanks for keeping me company!

Can anyone tell me what this "Mastercook" thing is????

Melissa

Hi! I'm Cindy from Sarasota,Florida via NJ and Maryland. I too have an abundent suppply of COOKBOOKS that I read like novels. I have subscribed to CL since the first issue in 1987. And have them all. It seems like alot of you are interested in finding a cookbook with quick recipes. I've got it: Cooking Light 5 Ingredient/15 Minute Cookbook. Guess what?! It has GREAT recipes!!! I will bring two recipes for grilled fish and chicken. A Mango Chutney listed in the chutney BB and this Cookbooks Pork Chops with Dijon Cream Sauce.(although it says pork when I made it I only had chicken so I substituted)I keep this Cookbook in my car so when I am on my way home and forgot to figure out dinner I can run into the supermarket and buy those ingredients. I own a Bagel Shop/Deli and have a daughter who does theater so it have to be quick to cook unless I am entertaining.Then I make a light recipe and find everyone asks me for it. When they find out it is low fat they are amazed.

Hi everyone. My name is Laura and I live in Sonoma County, CA (wine country). I spent 14 years practicing as a cpa, but left a year ago because those busy seasons started running together - didn't leave me any time to cook. I love to cook and this time of year much of the ingredients comes straight from the garden.

I currently work with my husband in our travel business - no kids so we have lots of opportunity to travel. Our specialty is culinary travel so we get to create tours around the food and culture of a region - including the CL Ship Shape cruise adventure.

The party menu looks like it needs some veggies, so I will bring some stir-fry veggies. I know we already have lots of desserts, but the Lavender Teacake from a couple of months back was a big hit at a dinner I had recently. I'll bring that, too.

Hi, Thanks for the invitation to the CAYA party. My name is Marilynn with two n"s and I'm from Michigan. I love the whole food scene and am happy to find out there are others too. I've been reading the bulletin board for awhile but this is my first time responding. Guess, I just love a party. I'm going to bring Four-Cheese Vegetable Lasagne from the Five * Star Cooking Light Cookbook. It's a winner.

Hi! My name is Danielle, and I live in Madison, Wisconsin. I just got married last month, and since now I'm cooking for two, I love trying the recipes from CL. So far, all rave reviews from my husband. I made the Thai-style Pork Stew last night, and it was delicious. Definitely a repeater!

I think I'll bring some Brown Sugar Pound Cake. Topped with some raspberries and whipped cream, it's like a little slice of heaven!

Talking

Oh, yeah! Someone mentioned posting a recipe for Pizza Margherita. I'd love to have it! I had Pizza Margheria during our honeymoon in Paris, and I just absolutely loved it. And grilling it sounds even better!