Community Message Boards

Thread: Mattress too soft

Unhappy Mattress too soft

We bought a new Sealy pillow-top mattress last month and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. It's really soft and it seems like we sink in too much (esp. my husband since he weighs a lot more than me). I've read on the internet that some people put a sheet of plywood in between the mattress and the box springs to help with this problem. Anyone have any experience with this? BTW, it doesn't seem to phase my husband. I'm the only one who has a problem with the mattress. Help, I want to love my new bed!

FWIW, here's a link to the mattress we bought...
    http://www.us-mattress.com/sealy-set...illow-top.html

I heard about using the plywood in college when I had really soft dorm bed. I tried putting the plywood under the mattress, and it worked great! I really like firm mattresses, and that just made a huge difference.

My parents had plywood under their mattress when I was a kid. It probably works, except for 2 things.....mattresses today are sooooo thick you wouldn't feel the plywood effects as much. Also, I'm guessing your issue might not be the actual mattress, but the foam pillowtop. The plywood wouldn't help that. We recently got one, as well, & it took a bit to get used to the pillowtop.

Do you have enough support underneath the matress and box spring?

I had a pillow top and the supports that came with my bed (the wooden slats) were not enough to support it and it sank in the middle. We ended up putting more wodden slats under the box spring. I also found I had to rotate and flip it a lot more often as we seemed to sink to the middle.
    Maria

Mattress To Soft

Have Had To Sleep With A Piece Of Plywood Between Box Spring And Mattress For Years As Dh Has A Bad Back....
    Val

I sympathize. We bought a pillow top 2 years ago and I would not buy one again. It's comfortable, but you get impressions where you normally lie and there's a big bump between the two of us. You can turn it, but you can't flip it, so there's no way to get even wear.

I so wish we could afford a Tempurpedic..............

We have plywood between the mattress and box springs on our guest bed (which was our bed until we got out Sleep Number bed). I've gotten rave reviews about that mattress from all guests that have stayed here! And plywood is cheap, so I say give it a shot!
    "This better be important! Is the frickin' meadow on fire?" -- Charlie the Unicorn

Can you exchange it for something else? We recently bought a new mattress and there was a 30 day "no hassle" exchange policy. It might be worth checking into this. It surely seems a shame that you are not sleeping well on a new mattress and with the mattress technology today, it shouldn't be necessary to use a sheet of plywood for support.

I had back surgery when I was in college (football injury), and I put a piece of plywood under the mattress in my apartment. I must say that it did make it manageable for me to sleep, without it I couldn't at all.
    My favorite healthy gift, fruit baskets

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply! I think I will probably give it a try. What do I have to lose besides more money.

mattresses today are sooooo thick you wouldn't feel the plywood effects as much. Also, I'm guessing your issue might not be the actual mattress, but the foam pillowtop. The plywood wouldn't help that.
    I think this is why I've been hesitating, but I think I'll try anyway.

Do you have enough support underneath the matress and box spring?
    I think so. It's a metal frame with a bar that goes down the center lengthwise.

Have Had To Sleep With A Piece Of Plywood Between Box Spring And Mattress For Years As Dh Has A Bad Back....
    I'm curious what type of mattress do you have? Is it a pillow-top?

I sympathize. We bought a pillow top 2 years ago and I would not buy one again. It's comfortable, but you get impressions where you normally lie and there's a big bump between the two of us. You can turn it, but you can't flip it, so there's no way to get even wear.
    I so wish we could afford a Tempurpedic..............
    I doubt I'll buy another pillow-top either. I think I'd rather just add my own padding/topper so it could be changed or customized the way I want it. And we can't flip our mattress either. I think they are making more one-sided pillow-top mattresses now. And they advertise it like this is a good thing for you (ex. you no longer have to flip it), but I think it's just a cheaper way for them to make mattresses. I have been rotating it though.
    My brother has a tempurpedic and LOVES it but I'm not sure they're for me. I'd like to sleep on one though to try it out.

We have plywood between the mattress and box springs on our guest bed
    Is it a pillow-top?

Can you exchange it for something else? We recently bought a new mattress and there was a 30 day "no hassle" exchange policy. It might be worth checking into this. It surely seems a shame that you are not sleeping well on a new mattress and with the mattress technology today, it shouldn't be necessary to use a sheet of plywood for support.
    I don't think this is a possibility. I bought it from a small local family owned store and I don't think they offer anything like that. Plus it's almost been 2 months. I know that stores aren't supposed to sell "used" mattresses, so what do these stores do with them after they've been brought back?? And I agree, I shouldn't have to add plywood to get more support, but...

Linda, I'd be interested to know how (or if) you resolved this. I've had the same issue with a bed that seemed to be good in the store but turned out to be too soft, and after reading this article:

http://www.advancedinc.org/too-soft.htm

I tried putting plywood under the mattress, which actually did help some, but ultimately we had to buy another new mattress. This time I was a little bit afraid we had gone too firm, as I was a little bit sore the first few nights, but at least my wife and I were no longer waking up with lower back pain like we were with the too soft serta.

Our new (very firm) mattress doesn't have a pillow top on it, because we decided that gimmick just made the bed wear out too fast, so we ended up ordering a 2" latex topper, and now it's just about perfect.

It sure has been a pain going through all of this just to get a comfortable bed.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney View Post

Our new (very firm) mattress doesn't have a pillow top on it, because we decided that gimmick just made the bed wear out too fast, so we ended up ordering a 2" latex topper, and now it's just about perfect.

It sure has been a pain going through all of this just to get a comfortable bed.
    I have been wondering what the advantage is to buying a pillowtop since that would appear to be the most vulnerable area of a mattress. I must confess that I have a memory foam topper PLUS a down featherbed and whenever I change the mattress, I vigorously shake out the featherbed since the down really shifts -- and periodically I rotate everything. I would NEVER rotate my mattress -- I am just glad that I can lift a corner to make that d*amn thing.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

We recently bought a bed from the Great Indoors. It was way too firm and we returned it with no hassle. I was refunded the entire amount of money and they picked it up at no charge. I asked the drivers what they do with the mattress. They said that they sanitize it and sell it in the outlet store.The drivers said that they pick up returns all the time.

I too would never buy another pillow-top! My DH hates the bump in the middle. With our old bed we put a piece of plywood between the mattresses and it worked, but again, the mattresses were thinner back then. It's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney View Post
    Linda, I'd be interested to know how (or if) you resolved this. I've had the same issue with a bed that seemed to be good in the store but turned out to be too soft, and after reading this article:

http://www.advancedinc.org/too-soft.htm

I tried putting plywood under the mattress, which actually did help some, but ultimately we had to buy another new mattress. This time I was a little bit afraid we had gone too firm, as I was a little bit sore the first few nights, but at least my wife and I were no longer waking up with lower back pain like we were with the too soft serta.

You pretty much fixed your problem like we did! We gave the soft mattress to my 12 yr. old son (who didn't even need a new mattress ) and got rid of his, since his cost a lot less money. I ordered a firm sealy mattress from Costco because they have a good exchange policy. My new one is also quite firm but we ordered a 2 inch memory foam topper, too. I like my new bed w/added topper but I'm not sure I'm in love with it. Definitely better than the pillow-top and I'm afraid to try anything else, since I'm sleeping fine on this new one. Oh, and I never did try putting plywood under the pillow-top mattress.

I must confess that I have a memory foam topper PLUS a down featherbed and whenever I change the mattress, I vigorously shake out the featherbed since the down really shifts -- and periodically I rotate everything.
    blazedog, how thick is your topper and do you put the featherbed on top of or underneath the memory foam topper?