Community Message Boards

Thread: Has anyone made Tabasco Sauce at home?

Has anyone made Tabasco Sauce at home?

I'd like to try. I have dried cayenne pepper powder, but don't know if that can be used. TIA for any recipes or experiences!

I followed the instructions in the Ball Blue Book to make a green sauce that turned out good. It has you use peppers and vinegar. We like it well enough and it keeps forever.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowcooker View Post
    I'd like to try. I have dried cayenne pepper powder, but don't know if that can be used. TIA for any recipes or experiences!
    Why do you want to do this? I'm curious!

The sauce is made from a special kind of pepper that is aged several years in oak barrels which seems like it would be hard to replicate at home.

Click here to read the process.

I've toured the Tobasco plant several times and enjoyed it.

Do you really mean Tabasco Sauce, or are you interested in making something more like Frank's Hot Sauce?

If you want to make Tabasco, I have to agree with Gumbeaux.

Tabasco is inexpensive and since most of us only use it a drop or two at a time, that bottle could last for years. Hot sauce is pretty inexpensive, too, but maybe you just want to "See if I can do it!". Most all of us understand that premise!

I don't know what the heck it was my DS and I made years ago but I think Daves Insanity stole my recipe. HOLY COW that was hot, even for us fire eaters!

If you do decide to make your own make sure you do it on a day you can open up all windows and doors. The fumes alone can bring you to your knees.
    Stay-at-home mom scratch cooking for a child with a severe peanut and mustard allergy.

[QUOTE=Gumbeaux;1289725]Why do you want to do this? I'm curious!

The sauce is made from a special kind of pepper that is aged several years in oak barrels which seems like it would be hard to replicate at home.

I can see why you'd be curious!!

1. Tabasco isn't organic (I know, I know, I'd only use a little, but if I could make my own, Like ADM says, why not?)

2. Organic hot sauce is $10.00 a bottle online

3. Maybe I'd be able to make a better Dave's Insanity (Sorry Dave!)

I don't have any oak barrels lying around, and I don't want to wait years, so I'll probably just go with the real Tabasco Thanks for the link!!

like making horseradish at home, it really makes the air in your house unfit for consumption for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    like making horseradish at home, it really makes the air in your house unfit for consumption for a while!
    A funny thing happened with horseradish in my yard. I'd never seen hoseradish outside of the jar, and I had these WEEDS I'd been pulling. They were very hard to pull and kept coming back. Boy, was I surprised when I saw a bunch of those "weeds" that a co-worker pulled for someone else and brought into work!
    I haven't attempted to make horeshradish at home, but I'm not trying to get rid of it anymore