Community Message Boards

Thread: REV: RR's Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta

REV: RR's Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._77075,00.html

The recipe can also be found on her magazine Web site.

Finally, a 30 minute meal I made in less than 30!!! This was good and really easy. DH liked it (although, he eats anything I put in front of him so not sure he's a good gauge). Am eating leftovers right now for lunch and still good. I served with some Texas Toast garlic bread. The pumpkin flavor was not overwhelming. I don't keep fresh nutmeg on hand so I just used a pinch of ground.

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta

Salt
    1 pound whole-wheat penne
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 shallots, finely chopped
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup cream
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
    Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
    2 pinches ground cinnamon
    Salt and black pepper
    7 to 8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced plus more, for garnish
    Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Heat water for pasta, salt it and cook penne to al dente.

Heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic to the pan, saute 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and combine with pumpkin, stir in cream then season sauce with hot sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 to 6 minutes more to thicken. Stir in sage, toss with pasta with grated cheese, to taste.

Thanks for the review -- this was the recipe I was most excited about from that issue. Glad it was good!
    Michelle

I caught this episode last week specifically because I saw this recipe listed. I think her older pumpkin pasta recipe, which I make often, which uses sweet Italian sausage (turkey, in my case) is a bit more interesting.

Bob

Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
    4 cloves garlic, cracked and chopped
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
    4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves, cut into chiffonade, about 2 tablespoons
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken stock, canned or paper container
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup (3 turns around the pan) heavy cream
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
    Coarse salt and black pepper
    1 pound penne rigate, cooked to al dente
    Romano or Parmigiano, for grating
    Pumpernickel or whole grain bread, as an accompaniment
    Spinach Salad with Apple and Red Onion, as an accompaniment, recipe follows

Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it. Transfer sausage to paper towel lined plate. Drain fat from skillet and return pan to the stove. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, and then the garlic and onion. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender.
    Add bay leaf, sage, and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half, about 2 minutes. Add stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble. Return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream. Season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer mixture 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.

Return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and sage leaves.

sorry for the hi-jack...

Bob,

I love that recipe too...I've been trying to find which book it is out of, do you by any chance know? I wish I were more organized with recipes I print, but the truth is once I make the recipe I throw away the paper and save it on my computer. Anyway, if the recipe is in one of her books that would be helpful to know so I can save paper

To the original poster:
    thanks for the review, I'll probably try the new recipe as well..but I agree that the one with the sausage is more appealing to me. I'll have to pick up the new magazine as I canceled my subscription due to the lack of recipes that appealed to me..go figure the first month I don't recieve a magazine there is one i'd like to try

Kristen
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Sorry, Kristen, I orignally got it from the show when it was new and use a printout from the website!

Bob

Thanks anyway..i've looked in all of my books..and either it's not printed in a book OR I am somehow missing a rachael ray book (i thought i had them all). OH well...it's printing as I type, since it is my halloween dinner.

Donate Here

Kristen,
    Try the Comfort Foods Cookbook for the recipe Bob posted.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I guess I don't have all the books. I deffinatly don't have the comfort foods book.

I tivoed the episode for the recipe in the original post. I think the garlic bread looked really yummy, I think i'll make that with my pumpkin pasta on Wednesday. The new recipe looked good as well, I'll deffinatly try it some time this winter when I dont have sausage on hand.

Donate Here

I like the version w/sausage. But, still think it would benefit from another addition. It's pretty blah-looking on the plate. Needs a splash of color. Haven't decided what just yet. Probably bell peppers, or maybe spinach.

Sage goes well w/ pumpkin and offers some great color too!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelsLGB View Post
    I guess I don't have all the books. I deffinatly don't have the comfort foods book.

I tivoed the episode for the recipe in the original post. I think the garlic bread looked really yummy, I think i'll make that with my pumpkin pasta on Wednesday. The new recipe looked good as well, I'll deffinatly try it some time this winter when I dont have sausage on hand.

I really want to try the garlic bread to see if I my kids will eat it. I think I might give it a try tomorrow night and call it Halloween bread.

My DH, oldest DD and I loved this recipe. My 2 younger DD did not care too much for it, but I was guessing that would happen. I added a little white wine. Thanks for posting. Now I need to figure out something for tonight, bye!!!