Community Message Boards

Thread: How to Defrost Frozen Stuff Shells??

How to Defrost Frozen Stuff Shells??

I froze cooked stuffed shells in a ziplock last month. I'm not sure first, how to defroze them. In the refrigerator overnight, several hours or cook them frozen??? How long do I cook them?

They are a recipe from Potluck Taste of Home. Basically your standard cheese, spinach shell.

Bake them frozen

When I buy frozen stuffed shells, I put them in a baking dish with marinara, cover with foil & bake. It works great. I don't have any in the freezer now, or I'd give you the directions.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I've made this CL recipe before ---- see below for their instructions on how to cook if frozen.

I often have some type of stuffed shells in the freezer and I typically defrost in the frig overnight (or two days before) and then heat in the oven, maybe at 350 for 30 minutes (and then check etc).

Four-Cheese Stuffed Shells with Smoky Marinara
    Ingredients
    1 pound jumbo shell pasta (40 shells)
    Cooking spray
    1 (12-ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    6 cups Smoky Marinara
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided

Preparation
    Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
    Preheat oven to 375.

Coat 2 (13 x 9-inch) baking dishes with cooking spray; set aside.

Place cottage cheese and ricotta cheese in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine cottage cheese mixture, Asiago, and next 6 ingredients (Asiago through spinach).

Spoon or pipe 1 tablespoon cheese mixture into each shell. Arrange half of stuffed shells, seam sides up, in one prepared dish. Pour 3 cups Smoky Marinara over stuffed shells. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat procedure with remaining stuffed shells, Smoky Marinara, and mozzarella in remaining prepared dish.

Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.

To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Preheat oven to 375. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover frozen casserole with reserved foil; bake at 375 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the shells are thoroughly heated.

Yield
    2 casseroles, 5 servings per dish (serving size: about 4 stuffed shells and about 1/2 cup smoky marinara)