Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I take ibuprofen and Tylenol Pm at the same time?

Can I take ibuprofen and Tylenol Pm at the same time?

I typed the question into Wiki-answers and found that you can take ibuprofen and Tylenol (acetaminophen) at the same time but I cannot find anythng out about taking ibuprofen and Tylenol PM concurrently.

At 6pm I took an 800mg ibuprofen for back pain and, since I really have to get sleep tonight and didn't sleep well last night, I thought I'd take 2 Tylenol PM when I go to bed at 10pm (total 1000mg acetaminophen and 50mg diphenhydramine HCL). Or I could take only 1...

Can anyone out there answer my question? Thanks!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

If you don't need additional pain relief you can just take Benedryl. I think you can pair the two you are talking about but I am not a dr so I'm not sure.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Last time I looked at it (years ago) tylenol PM wad acetominophen with benadryl added (I don't remember the generic name of that). If that's still true, then I would think you could take both. If you don't think you need the tyenol and just want it to help you sleep, you could try taking a benadryl.

Yep, that passed me right by--- diphenhydramine is Benadryl. Unfortunately, I don't have any in its "alone" form so it would have to be the Tylenol PM.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

You can always call your pharmacist and ask.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Your probably (hopefully) are already asleep, but it should be fine. We often alternate the two drugs for pain OR fever relief giving one or the other every 3 hours. I wouldn't do it for a long time, but what you are proposing shouldn't be a problem.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

They also make Advil PM now. And there is also something called Simply Sleep that is the added ingredient in Tylenol PM without the Tylenol part.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    And there is also something called Simply Sleep that is the added ingredient in Tylenol PM without the Tylenol part.
    AKA Benadryl. Gotta love marketing!