Community Message Boards

Thread: Gift ideas for 15 and 17 year old boys

Gift ideas for 15 and 17 year old boys

I am totally clueless when it comes to coming up with ideas for two of my nephews who have birthdays this month. Their parents aren't any help and I am not well connected with the boys to know what their interests are. In the past I have sent them B&N gift cards or money. My first thought was money again $25 or $50 depending on my mood and checking account, but thought there might be some other ideas that I just haven't thought about. Thanks!

As a Mom of two boys, 14 and 17, I would say money or a gift card to something like a Target, Best Buy, or GameStop, etc.

Between the iPods, computer and video games, they could put the money/gc toward something they really want.

I think I-tunes gift cards would be a safe bet. Also, clothing with Nike, ect on it is generally appreciated.

I have one of those........good luck.

I see mine daily and sigh**** it's not easy...

Itune card
    Game Stop Card
    Startbucks card
    Chipolte card
    Movie theater Card
    Amazon gift certinficate.

Items
    DVD's - 300 - anything with Will Ferrell
    wallet
    That emergency key chain in the Christmas post.
    IPOD alarm clock
    cologne

and this.....I found earlier when I was checking out the sites in that wonderful Christmas gift post...... it's digital drumsticks

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73225.asp

Now my own DS (17) starts making his wish list for Christmas the day after his birthday!

He would definitely like any of the things mentioned by wwhirledpeas. It might help if you ask their parents about their extracurricular activities. From that you could probably find some related items.

Do they have a favorite TV series? (buy the DVD's for season one or two or ten or twelve... )

Do they like a particular music group? (buy a CD or concert tickets)

Do they own a car? (Accessories, safety items, gas $, GC for car cleaning)

Do they follow sports? (Jerseys, mugs, game tickets, books)

Do they like to go out with their friends? (Entertainment book, movie coupon cards, movie theater tickets)

Do they go on a lot of trips? (Hanging toiletry bag for the shower...I think LLBean has them)

You get the idea....
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

OK...those drumsticks are cool! I might have to get some for DH and play w/them myself :-)

For that age, we've also done clothing gift certif (since they're often into clothes at that age) Gap, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Old Navy

My son is 14 and would love a gift card to Pac Sun, Game Stop or some type of sporting goods store. I think the 17 year old would really appreciate a gas card if he drives. Also any type of chain restaurant for the older one- Olive Garden, Applebees, Red Robin, the older ones seem to go out to eat all the time either in groups or on a date.
    Of course, they both enjoy getting cash or a check just as much which could make shopping a lot easier for you.

My son will be 16 this month. He has requested a jersey, with his favorite Denver Bronco player's name on it. Don't know if he'll get that, it's about $75.
    Having a late November birthday is tough because you've got to follow it up a month later at Christmas.

All the ideas listed here were good.

DVD's, music cards, gift cards to Dick's Sporting Goods or the Foot Locker, or any of the teen stores - Old Navy, Aeropostel, Abercrobie & Fitch, American Eagle. If they play golf - a gift card to their favorite course would be nice too. Barnes and Noble is good too, cause they can buy books or music.

Kids can get to be so picky at the teen level. Makes it tough on the give-ees.

Good old cash works well too!
    barbara-cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    As a Mom of two boys, 14 and 17, I would say money or a gift card to something like a Target, Best Buy, or GameStop, etc.

Between the iPods, computer and video games, they could put the money/gc toward something they really want.

As a mom of a 16 year old boy I would agree with Lauren's suggestions. The other item that my son likes is World of Warcraft prepaid game cards.

My nephews are younger, 10 and 12, and I give them $, but I try to do it in creative ways. Once I used one of those plastic boxes that locks the money in and won't unlock until you get a silver ball through a complicated maze. Another time I used a similar box that opened when 5 trivia questions were answered correctly. Once I made them do a scavanger hunt through their house for the $$ and this year for Christmas, I'm putting the cash inside a bar of soap...so even though it's just money - the way they get it is fun!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

As the mom of a 17 year old I say cash, cash, cash. They are so picky about what they want that even as the parents we don't know what to buy. Last year, as a small gift, we got them very hard to find Taco Bell gift certificates. Wouldn't you know now they are off of Taco Bell and we have lots still around the house. I think they like the independence of being able to make their own choices. As parents we feel that they should have a gift to open from us. As an aunt you can give the cash and be the hero. Just tell them that for fun you would just like to know what they purchased.

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I will keep them in mind for their upcoming birthdays and the holidays, both this year and in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    My nephews are younger, 10 and 12, and I give them $, but I try to do it in creative ways. Once I used one of those plastic boxes that locks the money in and won't unlock until you get a silver ball through a complicated maze. Another time I used a similar box that opened when 5 trivia questions were answered correctly. Once I made them do a scavanger hunt through their house for the $$ and this year for Christmas, I'm putting the cash inside a bar of soap...so even though it's just money - the way they get it is fun!
    What clever ideas! Where did you find these things? The only things I find with a search are banks. I think my nephew would enjoy getting his gift in one of these boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by stacy7272 View Post
    What clever ideas! Where did you find these things? The only things I find with a search are banks. I think my nephew would enjoy getting his gift in one of these boxes.
    stacy7272 - The one with the maze is called a Bilz Box. Once you google that you should find the trivia one as well. They are a lot of fun on Christmas morning, although the year we did the maze, my youngest nephew was only 6 and got frustrated and ended up busting the box up with a hammer!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Abercrombie gift cards for all the teens on my list! You can't go wrong. Debralynn

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    stacy7272 - The one with the maze is called a Bilz Box. Once you google that you should find the trivia one as well. They are a lot of fun on Christmas morning, although the year we did the maze, my youngest nephew was only 6 and got frustrated and ended up busting the box up with a hammer!
    I found them! Thank you so much. I always feel like I'm not putting much thought into gifts to my nephew (and my niece) because all they want is gift cards/money. At least this will be a bit different for them. Thanks so much for the idea!

Ooh, the movie gift cards are a great idea. Movie tickets are so expensive these days. A great idea for date nights. Thanks.
    TKay