Community Message Boards

Thread: Side dish for chicken pot pie

Side dish for chicken pot pie

I'm having friends over for football tomorrow and making chicken pot pie. I feel like I should serve something else. Somehow salad doesn't seem right. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

lol

I'm having chicken pot pie tomorrow too and JUST returned from the store for salad fixins

I wasn't sure what to serve with it either. I was thinking steamed broccoli or a salad and a salad sounded better to me. Maybe a steamed veggie of something that isn't in the pie would be good?
    Michelle

I always thought the joy of a pot pie was that the entire meal was enclosed in that little crust! If I were your guest and you didn't serve anything with it, I wouldn't think anything of it. If you MUST serve something, I'd probably serve it with a creamy soup of some sort. Comfort food + Comfort food = a VERY good day!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

MMMMMMM and some warm bread!
    Julie

Yes, some nice warm bread or rolls. I might do a waldorf salad as a side...apples/pears/raisins/celery/walnuts with just a really light mayo... or maybe some warm, homemade applesauce in little side dishes...or maybe some baked apples...

Missi, I was thinking my grandmother when she served Chicken Pot Pie she would serve either Carrot Raisin salad or Waldorf salad, both salads would go nicely and I think would be a light and fresh compliment to the hearty Chicken Pot Pie. Or perhaps a nice green salad with sliced Asian Pears and Pecans with a raspberry vinaigrette. I would really enjoy the contrast but it really depends on the crowd you are feeding.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went with Waldorf salad which seemed like the perfect fit!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.