Community Message Boards

Thread: pork tenderloin vs chicken breast

pork tenderloin vs chicken breast

Does anyone know how they stack up against one another, nutrition-wise? I am looking especially at the types of fats and cholesterol--I don't care so much about calories.

TIA, Laura
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Found a study from 1999 (University of Wisconsin, Madison)

Chicken Vs Pork Comparisons
    Lean only
    (boneless, skinless, trimmed) Pork Chicken
    Protein
    (g/100g) 22 20
    Fat
    (g/100g) 4.8 3.9
    Cholesterol
    (mg/100g) 62 84
    Calories
    (kcal/100g) 138 121

We are talking lean cuts of pork tenderloin where all visible fat has been removed. Occasionally I find "marbled" pork tenderloin, where the fat is impossible to trim away. As for chicken, remove skin and all visible fat. It varies tremendously from store to store how much is wasted once you've trimmed - both for pork and chicken.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Unhappy dang

So much for trying to line up the numbers under chicken versus pork.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

USDA Study, 2006 results.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/46034.php

Quote from the site:
    The new research, presented at the Institute of Food Technologists annual meeting, revealed a surprising fact: pork tenderloin is just as lean as the leanest type of chicken - a skinless chicken breast. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) analysis found that pork tenderloin contains only 2.98 grams of fat per 3-ounce serving1, compared to 3.03 grams of fat in a 3-ounce serving of skinless chicken breast.2 Pork tenderloin meets government guidelines for "extra lean" status.

More quote:
    Of the nine cuts analyzed, six of the pork cuts announced by the government have a nutritional profile that meets USDA guidelines for "lean," with less than 10 grams of fat, 4.5 grams of saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol per 3-ounce serving. Pork tenderloin meets government guidelines for "extra lean," which requires less than 5 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving.
    HTH

It does help. One of the blogs I read posted about how pork, no matter the cut, was red meat with all of its ills but I could have sworn I had read that lean pork tenderloin (my favorite) was as good for you if not better than chicken breast. Anyone have any stats about cholesterol?
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

There are chol #s further up the thread. Looks like they are really close, w/pork a touch lower

This is timely, as DH needs to watch his chol & I never know whether to feel guilty about serving pork (which I love!) We've cut out turkey sausage all together :-(

Thanks for posing this question. I've recently become a pork loin lover. I make it all the time, so I'm glad to know it's about as good as lean chicken. I get sick of chicken. These stats are good news. Thanks for the info.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    There are chol #s further up the thread. Looks like they are really close, w/pork a touch lower

This is timely, as DH needs to watch his chol & I never know whether to feel guilty about serving pork (which I love!) We've cut out turkey sausage all together :-(
    Ooops, I see it now.

Yeah I feel the same way, DH has always preferred chicken but I really don't like white meat, so a while back I started using a lot of pork tenderloin as a compromise (as opposed to really red meat). Then I thought I read it was bad for you and I started worrying. Sounds like whomever I read was mistaken (thank goodness). Which is really good news because now there are more of us and my kids love pork tenderloin too!
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    ... Anyone have any stats about cholesterol?
    Note that most people don't have to worry too much about dietary cholesterol, as it is generally saturated fat and trans fat that increase your blood cholesterol, not intake of dietary cholesterol.