Community Message Boards

Thread: How Many LBS. of Beef Tenderloin for 18 Adults?

How Many LBS. of Beef Tenderloin for 18 Adults?

I'm making the Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Merlot Shallot Sauce for a dinner party that I'm hosting this weekend- for 18 adults (9 men, 9 women). What's the general rule for each pound feeds how many? Any help is appreciated!
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

As I recall, the generally accepted amount per serving is 1/4 pound per person...especially for a boneless, trimmed piece of goodness like tenderloin. Now my family is different...I need to figure at least 1/3 pound per person.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

We are having tenderloin for Thanksgiving this year and my mom and I thought under a Lb.(6-10oz) for each person. If you think about it, some restaurants serve 12oz Filets but that is a lot of meat. I'm sure there are probably a bunch of men that could eat that much but if you have some good sides and the sauce is pretty rich, you should be okay. Plus, some women may eat less and it will all balance out.

Sounds awesome by the way, wish I could come to your dinner party!
    (`'�.�*�*�.�'�)
    � ** Schmee** �
    (�.�'�*�*`'� .�)

"The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."
    ~George Costanza

I was going to suggest 8 oz. per person; it will shrink as you cook it and some people WILL eat 1/2 lb (8 oz.); some will eat less than 1/4 lb (4 oz.).

In general, you should plan for people to eat 1/4 lb. per person, but many people do eat more than this.

When in doubt, ask your butcher. He won't steer you wrong (oops, sorry for the bad pun).
    Visit my website at www.simplydeliciouschef.com

I always plan for 1/2 lb per person. 8 oz is a good serving size especially with good sides.

I go with a 1/2 lb for sure when I'm hosting. If it was me I'd buy a 10 lb to have plenty and account for the ends.

I'd also go with 8 ounces per person, pre-cooked weight. 10 pounds sounds about right to me. If you are plating in the kitchen, you might be able to get away with a little less, but if you are doing a buffet or serving family style, people will take more than 4 ounces (which is 5 ounces, pre-cooked) of filet.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to err on the larger side. Leftovers are good. I went to Whole Foods yesterday and they had Tenderloin Roasts at 25.99 per pound EEK! I had planned to get them at Costco, but my local grocery store usually has good tenderloin and it's on sale at 9.99 per pound. I got lucky!!

I have a dumb question though (from someone who has never made beef tenderloin in a roast). Do you slice it up just as you would pork tenderloin... in medallions?
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

I made that exact recipe a couple of years ago -- and burned my hand to a crisp on my new All Clad pan! But yes, slice it into nice slaces, about 1/2" thick. At least, that's what we did!

I'd definitely make that recipe again, using a hot pad, this time. You made a good choice!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Um, it's good info, but the thread is 3 years old. Maybe he should make spam?

...I'd suggest slicing the spam in medallions...wouldn't you, vbak?
    Cheers! Andy

Most definitely! That way all the sides can caramelize nicely! Yum, yum.