Community Message Boards

Thread: What kind of roasting pan do you use for your turkey?

Question What kind of roasting pan do you use for your turkey?

I've been reading a lot of recipes and watching tv shows and am curious as to what your favorite roasting pan would be? I listened to an interview with Rick Rodgers on Martha Stewart radio last week and he contradicted his comments in his book. On the radio he advised against a non-stick pan but in his book he does not.
    I'm torn!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

While I cannot say it's my favorite but just the one I own and it is non-stick. Which is okay since it's a very easy cleanup but not good for developing a fond. When I roasted the veggies and the turkey parts for the stock I found myself once again lamenting over the lost fond. I have had the pan for 8 years and wish it wasn't non-stick for gravy purposes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I use a non-stick Calphalon roasting pan. Clean up isn't a breeze, but then I don't clean up anyway.

Vicky

My roasting pan (for turkeys) is an old one that DMIL gave me -- it's oval, and dark blue with white flecks. It is absolutely NOT non-stick, but since I cook my turkeys in foil, we never have much problem, and there's always stuff (fond?) for DH to make the gravy!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    My roasting pan (for turkeys) is an old one that DMIL gave me -- it's oval, and dark blue with white flecks. It is absolutely NOT non-stick, but since I cook my turkeys in foil, we never have much problem, and there's always stuff (fond?) for DH to make the gravy!
    I use the same kind and find that if I do a light spray of Pam on the pan, it helps a bit. I don't use foil because I do a lot of scraping to get up all that great stuff in the pan.

As far as clean up goes, a long soak in hot water with some Dawn usually does a great job, and if it's still needed, a quick swipe with some soapy steel wool finishes the job easily enough.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I have a brand new non-stick that's been unopened at my house for 2 years. I can't abandon the old pan which was my grandmothers and makes me think of her every time I use it. Its not non-stick but sticking has never been a problem. I do my turkeys in a Reynolds Bag so of course that never sticks, but I roast wings in the same pan to get all the goodies to make gravy in advance.

I had one of those enamel roasters for years and years, and then it got a litttle hole in the bottom! I couldn't find another one to replace it .

Vicky

My roasting pan (for turkeys) is an old one that DMIL gave me -- it's oval, and dark blue with white flecks.
    That's what ours is like (though it's black), inherited from a great-aunt. It's really old, with a few rust spots on the outside, and I was going to buy myself a new (All-Clad!) pan this year, but we had some unexpected bills. Next year, though!

We have this one:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

We've never had a moment's complaint about it, either. It isn't non-stick. We roast veggies in the bottom underneath the turkey, and then puree them up into the gravy. I don't think DH does the gravy straight in the pan, but he could if he wanted to, since this pan can go right on the stovetop. It's very versatile. We also use it for huge batches of casseroles, enchiladas, lasagna etc.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

I use a big roasting pan with handles (deep) from Calphalon I place the turkey on a non stick pan (still spray with Pam) Breast down for juicier turkey.

I've never invested in a large roasting pan since I would only use it once or twice a year. I always buy the throw away aluminum kind (am I the only one?). It makes clean up so much easier. I do set it on a baking sheet for stability though.
    FavoriteTraditions.com
    Celebrating Life's Special Moments

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionsGirl View Post
    I've never invested in a large roasting pan since I would only use it once or twice a year. I always buy the throw away aluminum kind (am I the only one?). It makes clean up so much easier. I do set it on a baking sheet for stability though.
    We only used one of those once. DH managed to poke a hole in it as he was taking the turkey out of the oven, and most of our beautiful pan juices wound up on the floor. We went right out and bought our roaster for the next holiday. We figured once or twice a year for the next 20 years justified the purchase, although it has turned out that we use it more often than that.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

Quote Originally Posted by potato_moose View Post
    We figured once or twice a year for the next 20 years justified the purchase, although it has turned out that we use it more often than that.
    Plus you're not filling up the dump! Of course, the aluminum pans can be recycled but you'd have to wash it first so that defeats the purpose.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by ramson View Post
    I can't abandon the old pan which was my grandmothers and makes me think of her every time I use it. Its not non-stick but sticking has never been a problem.
    Ditto! Grandma's roasting pan turned out 50 years worth of Sunday dinners on the farm, and it has done my turkey right every time.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com