Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: HELP quick - Substitute for hominy?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Posts
    6,924

    HELP quick - Substitute for hominy?

    I just realized the turkey soup recipe I chose calls for canned hominy and I just got back from the store.

    What can I use instead? I have coarse polenta and fine ground corn meal - would either of those work or should I just add corn?

    Thanks for a quick response!

    Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Polenta and corn meal are totally different. If you can't go back to the store I would use corn but I think it would be worth going back. Of course, I LOVE hominy so it would be a highlight of a recipe for me.


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Posts
    6,924
    Robyn that wasn't the right answer!

    Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Robyn that wasn't the right answer!

    Loren
    Sorry!


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Grapevine, TX
    Posts
    1,018
    I like hominy, too, but I'd use the corn instead of going back to the store. One trip per day is enough for me!
    Stacy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Posts
    6,924
    I went back and bought canned hominy - what the recipe called for.

    The soup is awesome! I made Chupe de pollo con chipotle (chicken chowder with chipotle) posted on this thread by JeAnne.

    And I like the hominy too! The guy at the supermarket pointed me to grits first but then I asked him if it came in a can. Good thing I did because the canned stuff looked like corn kernels and the grits looked like cornmeal.

    Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Posts
    6,924
    Adding - the soup is super spicy! Just 1 chipotle for 11 cups of soup and it's really hot.

    The changes I made if anyone's interested were that I only used 8 oz of turkey, no celery, 2 huge handfuls of chopped cilantro and skim milk for the whipping cream.

    Great soup!

    Loren

    Editing to add - what the heck is hominy? super giant corn?
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Grapevine, TX
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    I went back and bought canned hominy - what the recipe called for.

    The soup is awesome! I made Chupe de pollo con chipotle (chicken chowder with chipotle) posted on this thread by JeAnne.

    And I like the hominy too! The guy at the supermarket pointed me to grits first but then I asked him if it came in a can. Good thing I did because the canned stuff looked like corn kernels and the grits looked like cornmeal.

    Loren
    I wondered if you were making this soup!! It's one of my favorites!
    Stacy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    From Cook's Thesaurus:

    hominy = posole = pozole Pronunciation: HAHM-uh-nee Equivalents: 1 cup = 165 grams Notes: These are hulled corn kernels that have been stripped of their bran and germ. Southern cooks usually boil whole or ground hominy until it's tender, and then they serve it in much the same way that Northern cooks would serve potatoes. Varieties include lye hominy, which is made by soaking corn kernels in a weak lye bath, and pearl hominy, which is made by crushing corn kernels mechanically. White hominy is made from white corn kernels, and the sweeter yellow hominy is made from yellow. Samp is coarsely ground or broken hominy, while hominy grits are more finely ground. You can buy hominy canned or dried. Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish)


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Polenta and corn meal are totally different. If you can't go back to the store I would use corn but I think it would be worth going back. Of course, I LOVE hominy so it would be a highlight of a recipe for me.
    Robyn, good call on your part. I also love hominy. Glad Gracie took your advice

    This is all I could find on Hominy. Information, that is, not recipes.

    "Sometime after the Massachusetts Indians showed the Pilgrims how to grow, harvest and eat corn on the cob, the settlers observed a pot containing a messy-looking mixture of corn kernels, wood ashes and water. After a day of soaking and rinsing, the kernels emerged as puffed up and white as popcorn. This was hominy. The hominy was then either dried whole or ground into a coarse meal that was used to make a porridge called groats, now known as grits."

    Source: Sun Sentinal March 1994

    eta See you beat me to it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Posts
    6,924
    I'm really glad I didn't buy the grits. It would have been a totally different soup and I might not have liked it as much. The recipe really didn't tell you anything other than specifying canned so for not even knowing what I was supposed to have I lucked out.

    I found a new food I like!

    Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    I'm really glad I didn't buy the grits. It would have been a totally different soup and I might not have liked it as much. The recipe really didn't tell you anything other than specifying canned so for not even knowing what I was supposed to have I lucked out.

    I found a new food I like!

    Loren
    I like to just heat the hominy up and put butter, salt and pepper on them. One time I had some leftover hominy and leftover canned sliced green beans. Just for the heck of it, I mixed the two together and heated them up. Oh my, new favorite combo.

  13. #13
    Another recipe to add to the "to try" list. And I haven't really ever used hominy in anything so this sounds like a good place to start! Thanks for the review

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •