Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP quick - Substitute for hominy?

HELP quick - Substitute for hominy?

I just realized the turkey soup recipe I chose calls for canned hominy and I just got back from the store.

What can I use instead? I have coarse polenta and fine ground corn meal - would either of those work or should I just add corn?

Thanks for a quick response!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Polenta and corn meal are totally different. If you can't go back to the store I would use corn but I think it would be worth going back. Of course, I LOVE hominy so it would be a highlight of a recipe for me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Robyn that wasn't the right answer!

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Robyn that wasn't the right answer!

Loren
    Sorry!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I like hominy, too, but I'd use the corn instead of going back to the store. One trip per day is enough for me!
    Stacy

I went back and bought canned hominy - what the recipe called for.

The soup is awesome! I made Chupe de pollo con chipotle (chicken chowder with chipotle) posted on this thread by JeAnne.

And I like the hominy too! The guy at the supermarket pointed me to grits first but then I asked him if it came in a can. Good thing I did because the canned stuff looked like corn kernels and the grits looked like cornmeal.

Loren

Adding - the soup is super spicy! Just 1 chipotle for 11 cups of soup and it's really hot.

The changes I made if anyone's interested were that I only used 8 oz of turkey, no celery, 2 huge handfuls of chopped cilantro and skim milk for the whipping cream.

Great soup!

Loren

Editing to add - what the heck is hominy? super giant corn?

I went back and bought canned hominy - what the recipe called for.

The soup is awesome! I made Chupe de pollo con chipotle (chicken chowder with chipotle) posted on this thread by JeAnne.

And I like the hominy too! The guy at the supermarket pointed me to grits first but then I asked him if it came in a can. Good thing I did because the canned stuff looked like corn kernels and the grits looked like cornmeal.

Loren
    I wondered if you were making this soup!! It's one of my favorites!
    Stacy

From Cook's Thesaurus:

hominy = posole = pozole Pronunciation: HAHM-uh-nee Equivalents: 1 cup = 165 grams Notes: These are hulled corn kernels that have been stripped of their bran and germ. Southern cooks usually boil whole or ground hominy until it's tender, and then they serve it in much the same way that Northern cooks would serve potatoes. Varieties include lye hominy, which is made by soaking corn kernels in a weak lye bath, and pearl hominy, which is made by crushing corn kernels mechanically. White hominy is made from white corn kernels, and the sweeter yellow hominy is made from yellow. Samp is coarsely ground or broken hominy, while hominy grits are more finely ground. You can buy hominy canned or dried. Substitutes: barley grits OR dried beans (in stews and soups) OR buckwheat grits OR potatoes (as a side dish)

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Polenta and corn meal are totally different. If you can't go back to the store I would use corn but I think it would be worth going back. Of course, I LOVE hominy so it would be a highlight of a recipe for me.
    Robyn, good call on your part. I also love hominy. Glad Gracie took your advice

This is all I could find on Hominy. Information, that is, not recipes.

"Sometime after the Massachusetts Indians showed the Pilgrims how to grow, harvest and eat corn on the cob, the settlers observed a pot containing a messy-looking mixture of corn kernels, wood ashes and water. After a day of soaking and rinsing, the kernels emerged as puffed up and white as popcorn. This was hominy. The hominy was then either dried whole or ground into a coarse meal that was used to make a porridge called groats, now known as grits."

Source: Sun Sentinal March 1994

eta See you beat me to it.

I'm really glad I didn't buy the grits. It would have been a totally different soup and I might not have liked it as much. The recipe really didn't tell you anything other than specifying canned so for not even knowing what I was supposed to have I lucked out.

I found a new food I like!

Loren

I'm really glad I didn't buy the grits. It would have been a totally different soup and I might not have liked it as much. The recipe really didn't tell you anything other than specifying canned so for not even knowing what I was supposed to have I lucked out.

I found a new food I like!

Loren
    I like to just heat the hominy up and put butter, salt and pepper on them. One time I had some leftover hominy and leftover canned sliced green beans. Just for the heck of it, I mixed the two together and heated them up. Oh my, new favorite combo.

Another recipe to add to the "to try" list. And I haven't really ever used hominy in anything so this sounds like a good place to start! Thanks for the review