Community Message Boards

Thread: Sauce for Butternut Squash Ravioli?

Sauce for Butternut Squash Ravioli?

I have 2 bags of Rosetti frozen butternut squash ravioli in my freezer but am stumped at what type of sauce to use...the recipe on the bag suggests melting a stick of butter and mixing in some fresh sage, then sprinkling with Parmesan cheese...sounds good, but I'm looking for something else...anyone?

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Well, my first idea was a Sage Brown Butter sauce since that really goes well with the butternut squash.

A Onion-Sherry Sauce would be nice too:

2 large onions (14 to 16 oz. total), thinly sliced
    3 Tbs. unsalted butter; more if needed
    1/3 cup dry sherry
    1-1/2 cups heavy cream
    1-1/2 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken or vegetable stock (or a total of 3 cups stock if not using cream)
    2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh sage

Sauté the onions in 3 Tbs. of the butter over medium heat until very soft and golden, 20 to 25 min. Add the sherry to deglaze, raise the heat to medium high, and cook until all the liquid is evaporated. Add the cream and stock (or all stock, if you prefer) and the chopped sage, and reduce by half or until the sauce is the consistency you like. You'll have 2 to 2-1/2 cups sauce. Season with salt and pepper. If using stock only, whisk in 1 to 2 Tbs. butter at the end to give the sauce a bit of body. (If making the sauce ahead, reserve the butter until reheating. If using cream, reheat the sauce very gently.)

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleancutie View Post
    Well, my first idea was a Sage Brown Butter sauce since that really goes well with the butternut squash...
    Thanks Dani! I think I should just break down and make the sage and brown butter ...this is what is featured...everywhere!

~Gail
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I frequently see this served with a light cream sauce.

Here are a couple from my "to try" pile.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Cream Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups dry white wine
    1 shallot -- finely diced
    2 garlic cloves -- minced
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    1/4 cup lemon juice -- freshly squeezed
    2 Tbs. sugar
    salt and white pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan over high heat, add white wine, shallot and garlic. Reduce liquid to half a cup. Strain out shallots and garlic. Stir in cream, lemon juice and sugar, and reduce to one cup of liquid. Season with salt and pepper.

NOTES : to accompany Butternut Squash Ravioli

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Nutmeg Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 1/4 cups chicken broth
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook the roux 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not allow the mixture to brown. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very smooth.

Raise the heat to medium and cook the mixture 5 minutes at a very slow boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover the sauce, and keep warm, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water, and cook the ravioli in batches 2 minutes. Remove the ravioli with a slotted spoon, drain, and place on a warm serving platter; cover to keep warm.

When all of the ravioli are cooked, pour the nutmeg sauce over them and serve.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The Butternut Squash Ravioli that I made a couple of weeks ago called for topping the ravioli with "Rosemary Oil." It was basically 3 T. olive oil, 1 T. minced fresh rosemary- To make rosemary oil: Heat oil and rosemary in a small skillet over low heat until rosemary starts to sizzle. Remove from heat. To serve, drizzle 2 tsp. cooking water over ravioli and then 1 tsp. of the rosemary oil; top with freshly grated Parmesan. It was very yummy
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

If you do the brown butter sauce, sprinkle with toasted, chopped hazelnuts when done.

Try Giada's recipe for the sauce for her Butternut Squash Tortellini (The recipe is on the Food Network's website.) It's the typical browned butter sage sauce, but has toasted walnuts and craisins. At first I was a little dubious, but after trying it thought it was truly wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by laurachoc View Post
    Try Giada's recipe for the sauce for her Butternut Squash Tortellini (The recipe is on the Food Network's website.) It's the typical browned butter sage sauce, but has toasted walnuts and craisins. At first I was a little dubious, but after trying it thought it was truly wonderful.
    This looks wonderful...here it is in case anyone else is interested...thanks Laura!:

Brown Butter Sauce:
    3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
    2 tablespoons torn fresh sage leaves
    1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
    1/2 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried cherries, or mixture of both
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

To make the sauce and serve, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.

Add the sage, walnuts and cranberries and let cook until the butter starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and season with salt, and pepper.

Episode#: EI0912
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~