Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Side Dish for Shrimp Creole with Steamed Rice

ISO Side Dish for Shrimp Creole with Steamed Rice

Our supper club hostess is making Shrimp Creole with Steamed Rice and I have been assigned a side dish. Someone has already been assigned a bread. If I hurry a salad is still possible (have to get back to the hostess w/first dibs). A Southern Entertaining theme seems to be the direction.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

TIA ~ Linda

Shrimp Creole is one of those one pot meals so coming up with a side dish can be difficult. Looking through The Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine there are a few choices of veggie side dishes. Macque Choux (it also has shrimp), Corn and Ham Pudding and various eggplant dishes. Typically though most Creole dishes combine meat and veggies for much heartier sides.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Susan ~ Gosh count on you to help, just as you helped me in June 2004 with figuring out PM stuff! I'm still in a quandry and do take note that what 'sides' do you make for Shrimp Creole, which has everything you need other than bread to sop up the juices. I'm still a possibility for a salad since the other "side" person hasn't said she's going to do the salad and I don't think Jell-o is the answer Maybe just some crisp greens w/a sweeter dressing? When you have eight women all contributing from appetizers to dessert this is a tough nut to crack Linda ~

Linda,
    If it were me I'd go with the salad! I'd add some toasted pecans (maybe those blue cheese ones Alysha posted a few years ago) and some dried cherries. If you don't get the salad option then I can dig further into the book!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I make shrimp creole a lot and generally serve it with a salad. Since you need a side - how about broiled asparagus with olive oil and garlic. Really simple and would look pretty with the creole.

I really like a fruity green salad with my shrimp gumbo - is a nice counterpoint to the spicy tomato-y flavors in the gumbo. I would think it would also work well with the shrimp creole. Apples or pears (or even citrus) with a balsamic dressing maybe??

Thanks everyone. I opted for the salad. Linda ~