Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you wash an asbestos glove?

Hybrid View

Question Can you wash an asbestos glove?

My fireplace glove is really black and nasty. I'd like to spare myself the expense of buying a new one, so I'm wondering if it can be washed...either in a machine or by hand. Anyone ever done it?

Bob

Are they similar to welder's gloves? If so I don't think they can be washed. DH has had the same pair for years but never asked for them to be washed.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Are you certain the gloves are constructed with asbestos? A lot of "fire proof" gloves made today don't contain asbestos.

You're right, I don't know what they are, being as they were given to me with no information. I suppose I can try a cold wash with the left hand one, soiled, but rarely used.

At least I found a place that sells just the right hand one, if I need to go that route.

Susan, if DH's black gloves were in the center of uour living room, there might be more concern about their being rather disgusting looking! Oh, well, I suppose I can find a cute little pot of some sort to hide them in, too.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post

Susan, if DH's black gloves were in the center of uour living room,

Yeah, well that would never happen!

He cleans the fireplace with the shopvac or just the shovel and the copper bucket. Do you use the gloves to clean out the fireplace?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Yeah, well that would never happen!

He cleans the fireplace with the shopvac or just the shovel and the copper bucket. Do you use the gloves to clean out the fireplace?
    Um...no....

I'm one of those crazy people who sticks their hand in a great deal for one reason or another.

Bob