Community Message Boards

Thread: Oreo Truffles (with cream cheese) - can I freeze?

Oreo Truffles (with cream cheese) - can I freeze?

I have a quick freezer question. I'd really like to make Oreo truffles for a cookie exchange I'm doing. The truffle part is made with cream cheese. These will likely be frozen after they are made - will these freeze well?

Recipe follows (there are a few I'm looking at, this is the Kraft version)

Easy OREO Truffles

Prep Time: 30 min
    Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
    Makes: 3-1/2 doz. or 42 servings, one truffle each

1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, finely crushed, divided
    1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
    2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

MIX 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until well blended. Shape into 42 (1-inch) balls.

DIP balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover melted chocolate can be stored in tightly covered container at room temperature and saved for another use.) Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Store any leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

Yep, they should freeze just fine, as far as I know. We make these in our family and keep them in the unheated workshop or even the garage...I suppose it's possible that they come pretty close to freezing at night.

Even if you choose not to freeze them, they'd be just fine in the fridge.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

i've never frozen & would probably be concerned about doing so in light of the cream cheese & the chocolate coating. i would recommend doing a test batch to confirm out they do. i'll also note that i always add a teaspoon of shortening to the recipe (i know, i know!) which keeps the chocolate coating shiny & really makes a difference in their appearance to me. without the shortening, they tend to get a very matte & "rustic" appearance.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?