Community Message Boards

Thread: When you make your holiday cookies to give away in tins and on trays...

When you make your holiday cookies to give away in tins and on trays...

Every year I make at least 10 kinds of cookies to give away. I put together a large tray to bring to work and smaller but still substantial trays for each of the 3 senior leaders of our company.

But as it works out, I don't have too many left to give away in tins. Sometimes I've made double batches of some of the (easier/drop/bar) cookies but then I have way too many of them and not enough of the others. So I'm thinking that double batches of everything would be way too much.

If you give away cookie assortments every year, how do you plan so that you have enough but are not overrun by cookies? Should I make 1 1/2 batches of each?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

1 & 1/2 batches sounds like a good idea to me.
    Go for it!

I give cookies away to around a dozen folks. I try to make one kind of cookie per each person, so one dozen different kinds. I try hard to give each person at least 3 of each cookie, so with that math, each cookie recipe needs to make 3 dozen, or 36 cookies. Most cookie recipes will make that many cookies in one batch. However, if you are giving away more of each type per person, or have more than 12 batches to give away, you'd need to make more. I also struggle with having to give away ALL of a particular type with no "leftovers" for my family. So that should also be taken into account.

I think it depends entirely on how many people you want to give cookies to and how many cookies you want to give them. I start with that info and then work to figure out how many cookies I need to make.

I am a cookie dork. I make a list of the cookies I'd like to bake each year, including the yield for each recipe. I also make a list of cookie recipients, noting how many and what kind of cookies each will get, and what kind of container I need. (E.g. DH's office- 1 tray, 1 dozen each of cookies X, Y, and Z. Supper club cookie swap- need 3 dozen of 3 different kinds of cookies, 3 tins. Mailing to relatives... you get the idea).

Then I figure out how many of each kind of cookie I need (it's not always divided equally among recipients due to allergies etc.), and just scale the recipes accordingly. So I might only need one batch of, say, Mintywiches because it makes 10 dozen, but 3 batches of Brownie Bowties because one batch only makes 3 dozen.

I know it sounds a bit time-consuming but it only takes me a few minutes to make my little grid and figure it out. Then I put all the cookie recipes in a Mastercook menu plan and scale individual recipes up as needed, then dump everything into a shopping list so I can buy all my ingredients at once and not make a bunch of trips to the store. I start making dough early and freeze, then bake as needed.

But I don't make nearly as many different kinds of cookies as you do- I generally do about 6 different kinds each year. Last weekend I made dough for three kinds and froze it, so three to go!

Quote Originally Posted by gertdog View Post
    I am a cookie dork.

I know it sounds a bit time-consuming but it only takes me a few minutes to make my little grid and figure it out. Then I put all the cookie recipes in a Mastercook menu plan and scale individual recipes up as needed, then dump everything into a shopping list so I can buy all my ingredients at once and not make a bunch of trips to the store. I start making dough early and freeze, then bake as needed.
    Me too! I don't have Mastercook but it sounds like I should get into the 21st century! That sounds really easy.

I do write down all the ingredients for each recipe then tally it up (5 pounds of butter, 2 bags of sugar, etc). Then of course if (ha!) I change my mind about making one cookie or another I have to go back and figure out which ingredients go with the cookie I'm no longer making. This year I'm coming up with a list and that's it. People are appreciative no matter which cookies I make.

The only thing I don't do is tally up the recipe yields because they never seem accurate to me. I like small cookies so I will always use my small scoop. You would think I would always end up with more cookies that I plan, but for some reason that doesn't always happen.

I think though that I will use the recipe yields as a guide and plan more about how many people I am giving cookies to to get a bit more accurate.

A grid, huh? Can you forward an example?

Loren

Loren, I'll email you my grid. It's nothing fancy- just helps me keep track of everything.

As for yields- when I am shaping or portioning cookie dough, if the recipe says it makes 2 dozen, then I'll divide the dough into 6 even pieces, then shape 4 cookies from each piece, rather than pinching off one piece of dough at a time and then finding I've made the pieces too big (usually) or too small (rarely) and am not going to get enough cookies out of the recipe. That way I generally come within a cookie or two of the stated yield. But I don't usually try to make the cookies bigger or smaller than the recipe calls for- I just go with whatever the recipe states.

Another question for you professionals.....How do you keep everything fresh until ready to plate? Do you freeze the cookies after cooking them or refrigerate to keep fresh? I find that when I make chocolate chips throughout the year, they stale very quickly so I really need to know the best way to keep fresh since I will be making several different kinds of cookies throughout the next few weeks.

Thanks Stephanie!

springsgourmet9 - I make the dough, scoop into scoops and freeze on a cookie sheet until hard. Then I put the scoops into a ziploc, label them and bake when I'm ready.

Loren

Gertdog- Would you mind e-mailing me your grid also? This is just what I need to get this organized. Usually I am flying by the seat of my pants and I am way over on one kind and way under on another! TIA

Quote Originally Posted by springsgourmet9 View Post
    Another question for you professionals.....How do you keep everything fresh until ready to plate?
    I freeze them unless I'm going to give them away the next day, or they're something that I know will keep well (biscotti, say).

I have to join the crowd of admiration for how organized gertdog is! I just make a bunch of stuff and people get what they get. If that's just a dozen gingerbread men because I don't have anything else left, well, I haven't gotten any complaints.... I will make a note of your system for next year -- this year I figure getting anything at all baked is a major accomplishment! (36 weeks today!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mareli View Post
    Gertdog- Would you mind e-mailing me your grid also? This is just what I need to get this organized. Usually I am flying by the seat of my pants and I am way over on one kind and way under on another! TIA
    Mareli, I sent an email to the address in your profile.

Springgourmet, I do what Loren does- I make the dough, shape it and freeze it, and then only bake off the cookies the night before or the day of giving, depending on my schedule.